Sound doesn't work on the internet but works with cds dvds and itunes

RayBo1

I am not sure how to fix this! My sound works when I play itunes, cds
or dvds on my Dell Dimension E521. It does not, however work on the
internet. I already went to tools/internet options/advanced/ and made
sure "play sounds in webpages" was clicked... which it is. WHy isn't my
sound working on webpages but on the other programs??? Please help!

Stevo

Vista or XP?

In Vista (possibly in XP too) there is a sound mixer that controls the
volume of individual programs. It's accessible by clicking on the sound
icon.

HTH

wm_walsh@hotmail.com

Hi!

> I am not sure how to fix this! My sound works when I play itunes,
> cds or dvds on my Dell Dimension E521. It does not, however
> work on the internet.

As you've already determined, your computer's sound system is
basically functional.

You are probably missing a piece of software that the web pages you
are visiting need to play sound. Common software programs that are
used to play media from web pages include the Windows Media Player
(already available on your system), QuickTime (okay to install) and
RealPlayer (which I wouldn't recommend installing unless you *really*
need to hear the sounds these web pages are trying to play.

This is assuming that the web pages are properly constructed and have
all the supporting files they need in order to work properly, like
sound files and pictures.

You might also want to try another browser, such as Mozilla Firefox,
which is free and highly recommended.

William

Junior Member

Hi

I had a similar problem, ie audio output fine from itunes or playing CDs, but no audio from internet clips. I'm using Firefox, latest version, I downloaded all the add-ons, checked all the right boxes, fiddled with audio properties in windows, etc all to no avail.

I've got a new PC running XP, with core duo 2800, 4gb RAM, MSI P31 motherboard, which has Realtek HD on board sound, ALC888 codec. There are audio outputs for centre, front and rear speakers, and a line out. I'm using Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers. When checking 3D settings in the Realtek HD audio manager all speakers seemed to work correctly.

Interestingly, when I tried connecting the line out to my hi-fi system I **could** hear sound from the internet (as well as itunes)...so this is a hardware rather than a software problem. I checked with my computer speakers again, but still no internet audio despite normal itunes playback. Very mysterious.

Unable to find a solution online, in time-honoured tradition I tried the simple expedient of switching the Altec Lansing speakers on and off at the mains. I really can't explain why, but this seems to have fixed the problem, and it's remained fixed so far (24 hours and 2 reboots later).

If anyone reading this can explain what has happened I'd be fascinated to know.

Lars