What sound drivers on K7S5A?

Li'l ol' me

Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or manual.

Got everything working but sound.

Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of those, but
got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the chipset
was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried those.
XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.

But still no sound!

There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't bitch
at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.

But still no sound.

Any ideas?

Shepİ

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:39:00 +0100, In this world we created "Li'l ol'
me" <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote :

>Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or manual.
>
>Got everything working but sound.
>
>Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of those, but
>got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the chipset
>was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried those.
>XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.
>
>But still no sound!
>
>There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't bitch
>at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.
>
>But still no sound.
>
>Any ideas?

Try here,
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/drivers_sound.html
and check the device mangler using safemode as per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Li'l ol' me

I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm downloading
that as I type.

But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I might
have to try all of em in that one.

"Graeme Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bigogn$stf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my experience the K7S5A uses at least THREE different AC chips for

sound.

http://download.sis.com/sisdlc/driver_list.jsp
> 2. The Avent chip (Realtek)

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...id=12&series=8
&Software=True
> 3. The CMI 8738 http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Graeme.
>
> "Li'l ol' me" <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:bignie$bst$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or

> manual.
> >
> > Got everything working but sound.
> >
> > Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of those,

> but
> > got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the

chipset
> > was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried

those.
> > XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.
> >
> > But still no sound!
> >
> > There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't

bitch
> > at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.
> >
> > But still no sound.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Li'l ol' me

Well that didn't work for a kick off, although XP didn't complain about
installing it at least!

news:bigpqh$bl4$(E-Mail Removed)...

gmnospam@nospam.xyz

Li'l ol' me wrote:

> Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or manual.
>
> Got everything working but sound.
>
> Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of those, but
> got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the chipset
> was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried those.
> XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.
>
> But still no sound!
>
> There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't bitch
> at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.
>
> But still no sound.
>
> Any ideas?

When I first got my K7S5A, I had the same situation. No driver errors reported,
and no sound. But it turned out to be simply that the K7S5A audio doesn't have
enough output to drive passive speakers. Plugged in amplified speakers and the
sound was fine.
gm

Mike G

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:10:24 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
<richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
>first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm downloading
>that as I type.
>
>But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I might
>have to try all of em in that one.

Why not just look at the board to find out what audio chip it has?
It's just to the left of the 2nd PCI slot - a small chip with pins on
all four sides.

--
Mike

Li'l ol' me

"Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:10:24 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
> <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
> >first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm

downloading
> >that as I type.
> >
> >But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I

might
> >have to try all of em in that one.

> Why not just look at the board to find out what audio chip it has?
> It's just to the left of the 2nd PCI slot - a small chip with pins on
> all four sides.
>
> --
> Mike

Just done this (it was above the 2nd PCI slot). It's a CMI9738, but the
drivers didn't seem to work as I reported elsewhere. Someone just mentioned
about not using passive speakers, so I'll hook it up to my amp and try that.

Shepİ

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:47:19 +0100, In this world we created "Li'l ol'
me" <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote :

>"Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:10:24 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
>> <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
>> >first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm

>downloading
>> >that as I type.
>> >
>> >But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I

>might
>> >have to try all of em in that one.

>> Why not just look at the board to find out what audio chip it has?
>> It's just to the left of the 2nd PCI slot - a small chip with pins on
>> all four sides.
>>
>> --
>> Mike

>Just done this (it was above the 2nd PCI slot). It's a CMI9738, but the
>drivers didn't seem to work as I reported elsewhere. Someone just mentioned
>about not using passive speakers, so I'll hook it up to my amp and try that.

Dat is your problem.Most sound cards and on board chips aren't
amplified :P

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,