Sound Not Working - Need Driver or What?

Nehmo Sergheyev

I have Windows XP Home (SP1)

Because I ruined my old mo'bo by spilling a cup of tea on it, I now have
a new old 533 MHz board installed using the old HD. (This is temporary
so don't criticize me for having such a slow machine. :-) ) But I can't
get the sound to work right. It's very faint.[1]

All the regular stuff tests out okay, nothing is muted, and the devices
test as working. So I'm thinking since Windows XP wasn't around when
this board was made, maybe I need the new audio driver. A friend gave me
a CD with some drivers on it, one of which is SoundMax2. But when I try
to install, the setup stops and produces an error window:

An error occurred during the move data process: -113
Component: System files
File Group: System files
File : E\sound\2ndGenDrv\S11th32dll

How do I determine if I need a new driver? And how do I find it? Or if
this file is all I need, how do I find that?

Using AIDA32 Personal http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php , I got this info
about the mo'bo, which contains the sound components:

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard Name Biostar M6TWG

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810
In-Order Queue Depth 4
CAS Latency 3T
RAS To CAS Delay 3T
RAS Precharge 3T
RAS Active Time 6T

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type Intel i752
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Shared Memory Size 1 MB

AC'97 Audio Controller
Audio Controller Type Intel 82801AA ICH
Codec Name Cirrus Logic CS4299
Codec ID 43525934h

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

AC'97 Audio Controller
Audio Controller Type Intel 82801AA ICH

[1] Actually, there might be a problem with the connection jack. I have
to wiggle it to get both right and left channels to play. But in any
case, the sound is _very_ faint. To hear, you have to hold the speaker
right up to your ear at full volume.

Naturally, my goal is to get the sound to work. Does anybody have any
suggestions?

*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************

philo

"Nehmo Sergheyev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VDWSb.8780$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> I have Windows XP Home (SP1)
>
> Because I ruined my old mo'bo by spilling a cup of tea on it, I now have
> a new old 533 MHz board installed using the old HD. (This is temporary
> so don't criticize me for having such a slow machine. :-) ) But I can't
> get the sound to work right. It's very faint.[1]

are you using amplified speakers?

Sooky Grumper

philo wrote:
> "Nehmo Sergheyev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VDWSb.8780$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
>
>>I have Windows XP Home (SP1)
>>
>>Because I ruined my old mo'bo by spilling a cup of tea on it, I now have
>>a new old 533 MHz board installed using the old HD. (This is temporary
>>so don't criticize me for having such a slow machine. :-) ) But I can't
>>get the sound to work right. It's very faint.[1]

> are you using amplified speakers?

He might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
> >>I have Windows XP Home (SP1)
> >>
> >>Because I ruined my old mo'bo by spilling a cup of tea on it, I now

have
> >>a new old 533 MHz board installed using the old HD. (This is

temporary
> >>so don't criticize me for having such a slow machine. :-) ) But I

can't
> >>get the sound to work right. It's very faint.[1]

- philo -
> > are you using amplified speakers?

- Sooky Grumper -
> He might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack.

- Nehmo -
I'm using the green top jack. I don't get anything at all out of the
jack below that, and the remaining jack is clearly for the mic.

I'm not using amplifide speakers, and the speakers previously with the
old board worked fine. Also, I get the same result with earphones - very
faint sound..

What's my next step?

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

philo

> I'm not using amplifide speakers, and the speakers previously with the
> old board worked fine. Also, I get the same result with earphones - very
> faint sound..
>
> What's my next step?

You need to get speakers with a built in amplifier...(they can be had

for very little money) Your old sound card evidently had built-in
amplification

which is not terribly common any more.

Sooky Grumper

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
> - Nehmo -

> have

> temporary

> can't

> - philo -
>
>>>are you using amplified speakers?

> - Sooky Grumper -
>
>>He might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack.

> - Nehmo -
> I'm using the green top jack. I don't get anything at all out of the
> jack below that, and the remaining jack is clearly for the mic.
>
> I'm not using amplifide speakers, and the speakers previously with the
> old board worked fine. Also, I get the same result with earphones - very
> faint sound..
>
> What's my next step?

Go to the windows xp volume control applet and make sure the "volume
control" slider (the first one on the left) is turned up all the way.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
> > What's my next step?

- philo -
> You need to get speakers with a built in amplifier...(they can be had
> for very little money) Your old sound card evidently had built-in
> amplification
> which is not terribly common any more.

- Nehmo -
Interesting. I didn't know that. So modern computers have the sound
amplification off the mo'bo. Why'd they do that?

This mo'bo isn't very modern, BTW.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Sooky Grumper -
> Go to the windows xp volume control applet and make sure the "volume
> control" slider (the first one on the left) is turned up all the way.

- Nehmo -
That's the first thing I tried. Double click on the speaker icon in the
system tray > window titled Master Volume > everything all the way up
and no mute box checked.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Alan

"Nehmo Sergheyev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iwXSb.8787$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> - Sooky Grumper -
> > Go to the windows xp volume control applet and make sure the "volume
> > control" slider (the first one on the left) is turned up all the way.

> - Nehmo -
> That's the first thing I tried. Double click on the speaker icon in the
> system tray > window titled Master Volume > everything all the way up
> and no mute box checked.

you evidently need to use amplified speakers

alan

sesz

philo wrote:
>>I'm not using amplifide speakers, and the speakers previously with the
>>old board worked fine. Also, I get the same result with earphones - very
>>faint sound..
>>
>>What's my next step?
>>

> You need to get speakers with a built in amplifier...(they can be had
>
> for very little money) Your old sound card evidently had built-in
> amplification
>
> which is not terribly common any more.

Shouldn't he at least get adequate sound with headphones though?