soundcard question

gabu2000@tin.it

hi all, i'd like to know: is a SPDIF out always a LINE out (not
amplified?)
i've plugged my pc to amplificator thru this SPDIF out but i can still
manage the signal volume from winXP... does this mean the signal is not
LINE?
thank you

MG
www.stranigiorni.com

Rich Wilson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> hi all, i'd like to know: is a SPDIF out always a LINE out (not
> amplified?)
> i've plugged my pc to amplificator thru this SPDIF out but i can still
> manage the signal volume from winXP... does this mean the signal is not
> LINE?
> thank you

I'm afraid your question is meaningless. "Line level" only applies to
analogue signals, which could theoretically be amplified up to any "volume"
you like. Digital signals, on the other hand, effectively have a fixed
"volume". They're typically represented by numbers on a scale of
(approximately) -32000 to +32000 and these limits can't be exceeded. Sources
such as CDs use the full range to achieve good quality.

What the Windows volume control lets you do is REDUCE any or all of the
outputs, which is occasionally useful if you're listening to more than one
source at once and you want to control the balance. The "master volume"
control is not really relevant when using an SPDIF connection to an
amplifier, so is normally best left on maximum.

Rich