SoundMAX4 XL on Intel motherboards -- any good?

Milhouse Van Houten

I ask, because I've noticed that since moving to a new system built around
an 865GBF, my Altec Lansing ACS45.1 three-piece speakers emit a noticeable
hiss that they did not (at least to this extent) on my previous system,
which utilized an old SoundBlaster PCI card.

Is there something that can be done, perhaps relative to SoundMAX?

Thanks

Certifiable

Did you install the SoundMax drivers?

Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
> I ask, because I've noticed that since moving to a new system built around
> an 865GBF, my Altec Lansing ACS45.1 three-piece speakers emit a noticeable
> hiss that they did not (at least to this extent) on my previous system,
> which utilized an old SoundBlaster PCI card.
>
> Is there something that can be done, perhaps relative to SoundMAX?
>
> Thanks

Milhouse Van Houten

"Certifiable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you install the SoundMax drivers?

Yes

Certifiable

Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
> "Certifiable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Did you install the SoundMax drivers?

> Yes

Can only offer following:
which you've probably tried.
1:Is there something in the vicinity (or within the machine)
that could be causing interference.
2: Disconnect and reconnect everything connected with the sound.
3: Try another set of speakers.
FWIW: I have a set of Boston BA735 speakers (including woofer)
from a 1999 Gateway and they work just fine.
Good luck

Milhouse Van Houten

"Certifiable" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can only offer following:
> which you've probably tried.
> 1:Is there something in the vicinity (or within the machine)
> that could be causing interference.
> 2: Disconnect and reconnect everything connected with the sound.
> 3: Try another set of speakers.
> FWIW: I have a set of Boston BA735 speakers (including woofer)
> from a 1999 Gateway and they work just fine.
> Good luck

When I upgraded from my old PC to my new one, I kept the speakers. They're
in the exact same spot they were, and the only thing that's changed is the
PC box itself, which is what led me to conclude that it related to what the
speakers are being plugged into, namely the sound jack on the motherboard. I
may just have to migrate to another pair of speakers, as you suggest, since
these don't seem to be the best match with the sound on the Intel. I've
tried playing around with the sound levels and the many, many adjustments in
SoundMax, but haven't hit upon anything helpful there.

Guess Who

If there is a line in, try muting it. Even on my SB Audigy 2 ZS card, I have
to mute the line in when I'm not using it as it creates a lot of annoying
noise.