Soyo K7VME barebones will not POST

Barton Brown

I just fired up my first homebuilt PC (from a Soyo barebones kit): the
pretty lights came on, the CPU fan spun up, and then, after no more than
five seconds, it simply shut down. It will only restart after I clear
CMOS (with or without turning off PSU power switch and disconnecting
power cord), whereupon it performs the same 5-second light and fan show,
then shuts down again.

I have checked the CPU heatsink/fan interface and connections, all
jumpers, all connectors (including power and ATX12V), all pins, possible
mobo shorts to the case and mobo mounting base... I don't know where to
go from here.

The system:

Soyo K7VME/Athlon 2800XP+ (Barton)/Thermaltake TR2 M2, in Soyo's
notorious power-supply-right-on-top-of-cpu-fan case
Ultra PC2700 DDR 333MHz 512MB x 2
Chaintech GeForce FX 5700 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X
Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (Default/Cable Select on IDE1) -- is
THIS correct? The HD is the only device on IDE1, connected to the last
connector on the ribbon.
52X generic CD-ROM drive (Master on IDE2)
Megastor (NEC) Dual Layer DVD Burner combo drive (Slave on IDE2)
Mitsumi FDD/multi-media reader

CPU FSB Jumper (JP3) set to 166MHz (for 333MHz FSB) -- is THIS correct?

And yes, I bought Microsoft Windows XP Home Full Version -- obviously
not yet installed...

I'd appreciate ANY help!

Bart Brown

Jim B.

Barton Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<2oh8d.3881$(E-Mail Removed) om>...

Sound like Fan Off Control, (FOC for short) The motherboard has a
speed sensor for your cpu fan. If the fan isn't turning the rpm the
sensor requires it shuts the system off to prevent damage.

There are two fixes, one buy a different cpu fan that has a higher
rpm, two go into the BIOS and set FOC to disabled.

If you got a fan with the cpu from AMD plug it into the motherboard
cpu fan connector and plug your current cpu fan into one of the
motherboard case fan connectors(to keep it running) so you can keep
the system running to get into the motherboard BIOS to change FOC to
disabled.

If I remember correctly SOYO came out with a BIOS update that also
lowers the required cpu fan speed the sensor detects before shutdown
kicks in.

> I just fired up my first homebuilt PC (from a Soyo barebones kit): the
> pretty lights came on, the CPU fan spun up, and then, after no more than
> five seconds, it simply shut down. It will only restart after I clear
> CMOS (with or without turning off PSU power switch and disconnecting
> power cord), whereupon it performs the same 5-second light and fan show,
> then shuts down again.
>
> I have checked the CPU heatsink/fan interface and connections, all
> jumpers, all connectors (including power and ATX12V), all pins, possible
> mobo shorts to the case and mobo mounting base... I don't know where to
> go from here.
>
> The system:
>
> Soyo K7VME/Athlon 2800XP+ (Barton)/Thermaltake TR2 M2, in Soyo's
> notorious power-supply-right-on-top-of-cpu-fan case
> Ultra PC2700 DDR 333MHz 512MB x 2
> Chaintech GeForce FX 5700 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X
> Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (Default/Cable Select on IDE1) -- is
> THIS correct? The HD is the only device on IDE1, connected to the last
> connector on the ribbon.
> 52X generic CD-ROM drive (Master on IDE2)
> Megastor (NEC) Dual Layer DVD Burner combo drive (Slave on IDE2)
> Mitsumi FDD/multi-media reader
>
> CPU FSB Jumper (JP3) set to 166MHz (for 333MHz FSB) -- is THIS correct?
>
> And yes, I bought Microsoft Windows XP Home Full Version -- obviously
> not yet installed...
>
> I'd appreciate ANY help!
>
> Bart Brown

Barton Brown

Jim B. wrote:

> Sound like Fan Off Control, (FOC for short) The motherboard has a
> speed sensor for your cpu fan. If the fan isn't turning the rpm the
> sensor requires it shuts the system off to prevent damage.

Thermaltake TR2 M2 (3-speed adjustable) is set to highest speed (even
the lowest speed is above Soyo's speed sensor threshold); it spins up
immediately.

> If I remember correctly SOYO came out with a BIOS update that also
> lowers the required cpu fan speed the sensor detects before shutdown
> kicks in.

If I can ever make it to the BIOS screen, I'll check that out.

Thanks!

Bart

Jim B.

Barton Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

This isn't related to your problem, but one change you should make.
Change the DVD burner to the master on IDE2 and set the CD-Rom to
slave. The burner should always be a master unless its connected to
the same IDE channel as the hard drive with the operating system on it
(Boot Drive), only then should it be set as a slave.

> Jim B. wrote:
>

> > Sound like Fan Off Control, (FOC for short) The motherboard has a
> > speed sensor for your cpu fan. If the fan isn't turning the rpm the
> > sensor requires it shuts the system off to prevent damage.

> Thermaltake TR2 M2 (3-speed adjustable) is set to highest speed (even
> the lowest speed is above Soyo's speed sensor threshold); it spins up
> immediately.
>
> > If I remember correctly SOYO came out with a BIOS update that also
> > lowers the required cpu fan speed the sensor detects before shutdown
> > kicks in.

> If I can ever make it to the BIOS screen, I'll check that out.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bart

dave AKA vwdoc1

Did you remove all non-essential items such as the hard drive, cd drive etc
and then try it? Just the cpu, fan, and ram on the MB with the MB OUT of
the case sitting on an insulated surface!
Oh and shouldn't you be trying to boot up the MB with the onboard video?
And the "CPU temperature monitoring through flexible thermal sensor" is
correctly mounted?
And your power supply is powerful to run your system???

I had issues with a Kingston module that would allow my system to boot but
then errors would occur. A new module solved my problem.

good luck,
dave

"Barton Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2oh8d.3881$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I just fired up my first homebuilt PC (from a Soyo barebones kit): the
>pretty lights came on, the CPU fan spun up, and then, after no more than
>five seconds, it simply shut down. It will only restart after I clear CMOS
>(with or without turning off PSU power switch and disconnecting power
>cord), whereupon it performs the same 5-second light and fan show, then
>shuts down again.
>
> I have checked the CPU heatsink/fan interface and connections, all
> jumpers, all connectors (including power and ATX12V), all pins, possible
> mobo shorts to the case and mobo mounting base... I don't know where to go
> from here.
>
> The system:
>
> Soyo K7VME/Athlon 2800XP+ (Barton)/Thermaltake TR2 M2, in Soyo's notorious
> power-supply-right-on-top-of-cpu-fan case
> Ultra PC2700 DDR 333MHz 512MB x 2
> Chaintech GeForce FX 5700 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X
> Western Digital Caviar 200GB HD (Default/Cable Select on IDE1) -- is THIS
> correct? The HD is the only device on IDE1, connected to the last
> connector on the ribbon.
> 52X generic CD-ROM drive (Master on IDE2)
> Megastor (NEC) Dual Layer DVD Burner combo drive (Slave on IDE2)
> Mitsumi FDD/multi-media reader
>
> CPU FSB Jumper (JP3) set to 166MHz (for 333MHz FSB) -- is THIS correct?
>
> And yes, I bought Microsoft Windows XP Home Full Version -- obviously not
> yet installed...
>
> I'd appreciate ANY help!
>
> Bart Brown

Barton Brown

Jim B. wrote:
> ...one change you should make.
> Change the DVD burner to the master on IDE2 and set the CD-Rom to
> slave. The burner should always be a master unless its connected to
> the same IDE channel as the hard drive with the operating system on it
> (Boot Drive), only then should it be set as a slave.

Thanks -- I'll try that, too.

Bart

Soyo K7VME barebones - Replacement mobo bad too! john czarnuszewicz Soyo 8 10-14-2004 03:50 AM
Mac Hick attempts Soyo barebones kit -- dopey questions Barton Brown Soyo 8 09-20-2004 04:58 AM
any experience with Soyo SY-K7VME mobo? Matt Soyo 22 09-11-2004 08:05 AM
Re: Micro soyo K7VME bebopper Soyo 0 06-21-2004 11:16 AM
Re: Micro soyo K7VME dick Soyo 0 04-01-2004 01:49 PM