Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

SP/DIF recording on Audigy Platinum 2 ?

 
 
Frederick Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi there ...



I am having a bit a bit of a problem recording digital audio with my
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2.



I connect the digital co-ax output from either a CD player or DVD player to
the input at on the front panel, and I can hear the audio through the
headphone monitor - so the signal is getting to the soundcard OK. But if I
try to record it, I get either a low frequency "motor boat" sound, or
nothing at all.



Also ... when recording from a digital input like this, what am I supposed
to do select as a sampling frequency ? - Surely the bit rate and sample
sizes are dependent on the incoming signal ?



Has anybody managed to have any success with this - or have I just got a
duff card ?







Regards





Frederick




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Durround
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2007, 08:35 PM

"Frederick Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:476e5353$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there ...
>snip.


Why X-post to groups nobody reads?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Philip Walton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi Frederick

I dont have a Soundblaster Card, but I think I read somewhere a while
ago, that you need to select 'Record what you hear' in the control
Panel, or something like that. Certainly SB cards are not great.

Phil
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Looser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
"Philip Walton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iACbj.18670$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Frederick
>
> I dont have a Soundblaster Card, but I think I read somewhere a while ago,
> that you need to select 'Record what you hear' in the control Panel, or
> something like that. Certainly SB cards are not great.
>


I've recorded from a Sky+ to an SB Audigy via an optical SPDIF connection
and it worked fine. There are two "Windows Mixer" control panels. One is the
"Playback" panel which includes "sliders" for each of the enabled sound
sources with a tickbox mute option on each, the other is the "record" panel
which includes sliders for each of the enabled sources and a tick-box to
select the source. One of those sliders is called "What-U-Hear" or somesuch
phrase, but if recording from SPDIF it's better to select the SPDIF input
direct.

David.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Laurence Payne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2007, 11:24 AM
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:55:58 GMT, Philip Walton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I dont have a Soundblaster Card, but I think I read somewhere a while
>ago, that you need to select 'Record what you hear' in the control
>Panel, or something like that. Certainly SB cards are not great.



You can select "What You Hear" if that's what you want to record. You
can select other things as well. See what choices you have. (Note
that this is in the soundcard's control utility, not in Cubase).
There's another possibility - that the card shows in Cubase as two
separate input devices, Soundblaster Analogue and Soundblaster SPDIF.
You'd have to choose the right one when defining an input in Cubase.
You know how to do that?

One of those approaches will work, assuming your card isn't broken.
And it doesn't sound as if it is - the digital signal is getting in
and being turned into analogue for the monitor output, it's just
Cubase that can't "hear" it.

I agree, Soundblasters aren't great. But yours will do this simple
job OK. The trouble is, people who know enough to troubleshoot your
problem aren't likely to be Soundblaster owners :-)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arny Krueger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2007, 05:33 PM
"Frederick Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:476e5353$(E-Mail Removed)
> Hi there ...
>
>
>
> I am having a bit a bit of a problem recording digital
> audio with my Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2.
>
>
>
> I connect the digital co-ax output from either a CD
> player or DVD player to the input at on the front panel,
> and I can hear the audio through the headphone monitor -
> so the signal is getting to the soundcard OK. But if I
> try to record it, I get either a low frequency "motor
> boat" sound, or nothing at all.


What input are you recording?

> Also ... when recording from a digital input like this,
> what am I supposed to do select as a sampling frequency ?


44.1 Khz.

> - Surely the bit rate and sample sizes are dependent on
> The incoming signal ?


> Has anybody managed to have any success with this - or
> have I just got a duff card ?


Nobody much uses this method to transcribe a CD to a PC any more.

They use proper digital transfer software like CDEX or EAC - both of which
are free downloads.

The only reason I can think of to go the way you're going is if the CD has
some kind of copy protection on it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT: Audigy 2 zs or audigy 4 Bishop Nvidia 10 12-15-2005 08:52 AM
Audigy Value or Audigy 2S Wookie AMD Overclocking 1 06-19-2005 05:00 AM
Can I use Audigy Drive with Audigy 2 ZS 24 Carrot Balla Soundblaster Live 0 12-07-2003 06:47 PM
KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum + SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum Problem Jefrox Soyo 6 11-09-2003 02:22 AM
Re: KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum + SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum Problem Matt Brown Soyo 0 07-24-2003 10:26 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment