speech recognition -- fujitsu t4020d(US) -- japanese chinese etc

RR

Hi
I just acquired a fujitsu t4020d tablet, US English version.
I am having trouble trying to turn on the Japanese, Chinese
speech recognition.
Is this possible to do? I understand that the engines are available.

This is needed to read/write docs in these languages, although the
OS format can stay English

Please advise

Thanks

Chris H.

The recognizer pack
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
enables only handwriting recognition, and does not add speech recognition.
I believe that would need to come within a Multilingual User Interface Pack
(MUI) for the operating system (Windows XP Pro) which is only available to
large corporations via their volume licensing agreements. It is not
available to single users.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I just acquired a fujitsu t4020d tablet, US English version.
> I am having trouble trying to turn on the Japanese, Chinese
> speech recognition.
> Is this possible to do? I understand that the engines are available.
>
> This is needed to read/write docs in these languages, although the
> OS format can stay English
>
> Please advise
>
> Thanks

RR

I understood that from reading the instructions on the micrsoft tablet PC
download section.... is there no way to implement this without buying yet
another piece of software - dragon etc?

The "c:\windows\mui\setup" program shows only English.
I assume if the other languages were intalled they would show up in the
window.
I also assume this can only be done fujitsu in my case.

It seems such a shame not to have access to that ....

PS:Fujitsu support passed the responsibilty to "microsoft" !

"Chris H." wrote:

> The recognizer pack
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
> enables only handwriting recognition, and does not add speech recognition.
> I believe that would need to come within a Multilingual User Interface Pack
> (MUI) for the operating system (Windows XP Pro) which is only available to
> large corporations via their volume licensing agreements. It is not
> available to single users.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > I just acquired a fujitsu t4020d tablet, US English version.
> > I am having trouble trying to turn on the Japanese, Chinese
> > speech recognition.
> > Is this possible to do? I understand that the engines are available.
> >
> > This is needed to read/write docs in these languages, although the
> > OS format can stay English
> >
> > Please advise
> >
> > Thanks

Chris H.

Correct, it is Microsoft's standards and part of the partner agreements for
the volume license holders - all of which are primarily large corporations
with the needs for such software. If Dragon Naturally Speaking would give
you the language options you seek, by all means go ahead and purchase it.
As an individual user, you will not be able to obtain the operating system
MUI.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I understood that from reading the instructions on the micrsoft tablet PC
> download section.... is there no way to implement this without buying yet
> another piece of software - dragon etc?
>
> The "c:\windows\mui\setup" program shows only English.
> I assume if the other languages were intalled they would show up in the
> window.
> I also assume this can only be done fujitsu in my case.
>
> It seems such a shame not to have access to that ....

> PS:Fujitsu support passed the responsibilty to "microsoft" !
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> The recognizer pack
>> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
>> enables only handwriting recognition, and does not add speech
>> recognition.
>> I believe that would need to come within a Multilingual User Interface
>> Pack
>> (MUI) for the operating system (Windows XP Pro) which is only available
>> large corporations via their volume licensing agreements. It is not
>> available to single users.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> > I just acquired a fujitsu t4020d tablet, US English version.
>> > I am having trouble trying to turn on the Japanese, Chinese
>> > speech recognition.
>> > Is this possible to do? I understand that the engines are available.
>> >
>> > This is needed to read/write docs in these languages, although the
>> > OS format can stay English
>> >
>> > Please advise
>> >
>> > Thanks

RR

Thanks for the confirmation.
Looks like I have to bang on the Fujitsu a bit harder!

Another option I can think of is using the SAPI and build my own app and
hooks
Any advise on that option?

no more questions from me ..thanks
ciao

"Chris H." wrote:

> Correct, it is Microsoft's standards and part of the partner agreements for
> the volume license holders - all of which are primarily large corporations
> with the needs for such software. If Dragon Naturally Speaking would give
> you the language options you seek, by all means go ahead and purchase it.
> As an individual user, you will not be able to obtain the operating system
> MUI.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I understood that from reading the instructions on the micrsoft tablet PC
> > download section.... is there no way to implement this without buying yet
> > another piece of software - dragon etc?
> >
> > The "c:\windows\mui\setup" program shows only English.
> > I assume if the other languages were intalled they would show up in the
> > window.
> > I also assume this can only be done fujitsu in my case.
> >
> > It seems such a shame not to have access to that ....

> > PS:Fujitsu support passed the responsibilty to "microsoft" !
> >
> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> The recognizer pack
> >> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)
> >> enables only handwriting recognition, and does not add speech
> >> recognition.
> >> I believe that would need to come within a Multilingual User Interface
> >> Pack
> >> (MUI) for the operating system (Windows XP Pro) which is only available
> >> large corporations via their volume licensing agreements. It is not
> >> available to single users.
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>

> >> "RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris H.

Fujitsu is not responsible for furnishing a Windows MUI to users. It is
limited to a corporate licensing situation, where a company uses their
license to obtain the software where they need it.