How to speed up LAN connections

Bitsbucket

This is why they make cable testers, they are inexpensive, an it tells you
if your cable is wired right and all the connections are good, No it will
not tell you about crosstalk, but it will tell you if you have the right
WORKING cable in the right place. I remember when you had to have
crossovers, for uplinks, (no "uplink" button) I have seen hubs toasted by
wrong cables in those days.....if you don't have a cable tester then
definitely buy your cables pre-made.
Good Luck
Bitsbucket.
"JT" <datacare@www> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:10:14 -0500, JimL <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:59:57 GMT, JT <datacare@www> wrote:

G/S, B,

far as I

cable"

> >>Even at 6' you will get errors, and large transfers will be slower than
> >>normal. Might not show up at internet speeds that often, but will start

> >>show up at 10mbs and will definately be there at 100mbs. The cross talk

in
> >>an improperly made cable will cause packet errors and retries, some of

them
> >>will be pattern or data sensitive and therefore intermittent. When you

can
> >>get properly made cables online for about $2.00, it is a false economy

> >>use the wrong cables.
> >>
> >>JT

> > I don't think so.
> >
> > At 6 feet, the wires not being twisted just doesn't make a
> >difference. Even at 100 mbs.
> >
> > JimL

> Hasn't been my experiance. Used to have access to the test equipment to
> show the difference. Have done hundreds, and there twisted pairs eliminate
> crosstalk, and they also reduce problems from items like noisy flourescant
> lamps, cordless phones, baby monitors, CBers in the neighborhood/driving
> by, etc.. Have seen enough strange and random problems with even short
> cables like you are talking about that I won't consider taking such a
> chance. Of course it is your system, and you can take all the chances you
> want, but cables like that are the first thing I replace when there is a
> network problem, and more often than not it is also the last thing
> replaced.
>
> JT

---

JT

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:50:40 GMT, "Bitsbucket" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is why they make cable testers, they are inexpensive, an it tells you
>if your cable is wired right and all the connections are good, No it will
>not tell you about crosstalk, but it will tell you if you have the right
>WORKING cable in the right place. I remember when you had to have
>crossovers, for uplinks, (no "uplink" button) I have seen hubs toasted by
>wrong cables in those days.....if you don't have a cable tester then
>definitely buy your cables pre-made.
>Good Luck
>Bitsbucket.

I second the recomendation for a cable tester. Seen them at the
surplus/liquidators for around $20, which is money well spent. If you make
your own cables, follow the color codes, and use a cable tester you will
normally have few problems. The color code will match the pairs so cross
talk/interference is minimized, and the cable tester will tell you that you
made at least an adequate connection. It will also tell you if you got any
of the wires wrong. If you only need one or two cables, buying premade is
probably cheaper. I tend to go through about 1000' of cat5e or cat6 a month
lately, so my milage varies from the norm ;-)

JT

Bitsbucket

Hi JT,
I've got 5 1000 foot rolls right now..... :-) I run a small computer/network
company, it's amazing how fast you can go through a thousand feet!

I don't know about you but my big bitch is that the crimpers seem to wear
out faster than they should, and at what they cost I hate to throw them
away, but then you use a worn out one, test the cable, and it's freaking bad
then you have to go find another set of crimpers, recrimp and then the cable
is good.....guess I should throw them away, unless you know how to fix 'em?
I must have 5 pairs of those things, I've tried different brands, and it's
the same, course I use the crap out of them....after a while they do not
drive the pins down far enough. I have chipped the cable cutter blade
before, squeezing the crap out of it, trying to drive the pins down far
enough!
bitsbucket
"JT" <datacare@www> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:50:40 GMT, "Bitsbucket" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >This is why they make cable testers, they are inexpensive, an it tells

you
> >if your cable is wired right and all the connections are good, No it will
> >not tell you about crosstalk, but it will tell you if you have the right
> >WORKING cable in the right place. I remember when you had to have
> >crossovers, for uplinks, (no "uplink" button) I have seen hubs toasted by
> >wrong cables in those days.....if you don't have a cable tester then
> >definitely buy your cables pre-made.
> >Good Luck
> >Bitsbucket.

> I second the recomendation for a cable tester. Seen them at the
> surplus/liquidators for around $20, which is money well spent. If you make
> your own cables, follow the color codes, and use a cable tester you will
> normally have few problems. The color code will match the pairs so cross
> talk/interference is minimized, and the cable tester will tell you that

you
> made at least an adequate connection. It will also tell you if you got any
> of the wires wrong. If you only need one or two cables, buying premade is
> probably cheaper. I tend to go through about 1000' of cat5e or cat6 a

month
> lately, so my milage varies from the norm ;-)
>
> JT

---

JT

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:27:51 GMT, "Bitsbucket" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi JT,
>I've got 5 1000 foot rolls right now..... :-) I run a small computer/network
>company, it's amazing how fast you can go through a thousand feet!
>
>I don't know about you but my big bitch is that the crimpers seem to wear
>out faster than they should, and at what they cost I hate to throw them
>away, but then you use a worn out one, test the cable, and it's freaking bad
>then you have to go find another set of crimpers, recrimp and then the cable
>is good.....guess I should throw them away, unless you know how to fix 'em?
>I must have 5 pairs of those things, I've tried different brands, and it's
>the same, course I use the crap out of them....after a while they do not
>drive the pins down far enough. I have chipped the cable cutter blade
>before, squeezing the crap out of it, trying to drive the pins down far
>enough!
>bitsbucket

Once in a while you find some with the replaceable blades, and a source
that stocks them. Cheaper than a new crimper. Of course, not an option with
the cheapest ones. Set of crimpers last me about a year I guess. Normally
have 2 or 3 sets around cause I always like to have a spare.

JT

JT