Is Speedfan accurate?

KlausK

According to the latest version of Speedfan, the temp of my Q6600 (G0) is
around 21C and goes up to 25C under load. I'm not sure if the temp is
accurate. Isn't it too low?

I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and Speedfan
reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.

Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?

General Schvantzkopf

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:41:52 -0500, KlausK wrote:

> According to the latest version of Speedfan, the temp of my Q6600 (G0)
> is around 21C and goes up to 25C under load. I'm not sure if the temp is
> accurate. Isn't it too low?
>
> I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and
> Speedfan reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.
>
> Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?

It's clearly wrong. 21C is room temperature, i.e. about 70F. The only way
a Q6600 is at 21C is if the system is powered off or you have your
computer sitting in a snow bank.

Phil Weldon

'KlausK' wrote:
| According to the latest version of Speedfan, the temp of my Q6600 (G0) is
| around 21C and goes up to 25C under load. I'm not sure if the temp is
| accurate. Isn't it too low?
|
| I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and Speedfan
| reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.
|
| Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?
_____

So far, there are NO system health applets that approach the utility and
accuracy of that old favorite, MotherBoard Monitor. Unfortunately,
MotherBoard Monitor has not been updated in several years; consequently it
does not work on Core 2 motherboards. SpeedFan may work on SOME
motherboards, but certainly not on yours (whatever it is - posting WHAT
motherboard you have would be a big help in getting help, as would the
ambient room temperature and the type of cooling you use).

SpeedFan 4.33 reports, for my EVGA 680i, core temperatures that are 10 to 15
C below the actual temperatures (as reported by the Intel Thermal Analysis
Tool. SpeedFan 4.34 beta 37 does a much better job; the core temperatures
are accurate, but system temperature (at - 65 C) is off a lot, only two fan
speeds are reported (one of which is NOT one of the existing fans!) out of
four, and of the three voltages reported, the + 12 volts is low by about 1.0
volt (at 11.09 v).

You should use the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool for accurate core
temperatures (TAT reports on at least 2 cores.)

SpeedFan works better for some motherboards than for others - that likely
explains the difference you get on your two different systems.

Intel Quad Core CPUs produce more heat than Core 2 Duo CPUs. That is NOT
the same as 'run hotter'. The core temperatures depend on heat produced,
the cooling solution and the room ambient temperature.

Phil Weldon

"KlausK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:479646ff$0$11604$(E-Mail Removed)...
| According to the latest version of Speedfan, the temp of my Q6600 (G0) is
| around 21C and goes up to 25C under load. I'm not sure if the temp is
| accurate. Isn't it too low?
|
| I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and Speedfan
| reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.
|
| Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?

AF

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> 'KlausK' wrote:
>> According to the latest version of Speedfan, the temp of my Q6600
>> (G0) is around 21C and goes up to 25C under load. I'm not sure if the
>> temp is accurate. Isn't it too low?
>>
>> I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and
>> Speedfan reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.
>>
>> Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?

> _____
>
> So far, there are NO system health applets that approach the utility
> and accuracy of that old favorite, MotherBoard Monitor.
> Unfortunately, MotherBoard Monitor has not been updated in several
> years; consequently it does not work on Core 2 motherboards.
> SpeedFan may work on SOME motherboards, but certainly not on yours
> (whatever it is - posting WHAT motherboard you have would be a big
> help in getting help, as would the ambient room temperature and the
> type of cooling you use).
>
> SpeedFan 4.33 reports, for my EVGA 680i, core temperatures that are 10
> to 15 C below the actual temperatures (as reported by the Intel
> Thermal Analysis Tool. SpeedFan 4.34 beta 37 does a much better job;
> the core temperatures are accurate, but system temperature (at - 65 C)
> is off a lot, only two fan speeds are reported (one of which is NOT
> one of the existing fans!) out of four, and of the three voltages
> reported, the + 12 volts is low by about 1.0 volt (at 11.09 v).
>
> You should use the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool for accurate core
> temperatures (TAT reports on at least 2 cores.)
>
> SpeedFan works better for some motherboards than for others - that
> likely explains the difference you get on your two different systems.
>
> Intel Quad Core CPUs produce more heat than Core 2 Duo CPUs. That is
> NOT the same as 'run hotter'. The core temperatures depend on heat
> produced, the cooling solution and the room ambient temperature.
>
> Phil Weldon

Thank you Phil

NF7s v2.0, temp sensors, mobile athlon and speedfan Doug Abit 6 04-27-2005 10:03 AM
Speedfan Homepage Willie Survive Abit 0 02-22-2005 08:35 PM
Re: Speedfan Support? Walt Asus 0 07-15-2004 03:16 PM
Re: set clock with speedfan? TomG Abit 0 04-01-2004 01:37 AM
Speedfan and Temp Sensors On A7V333-X Major Blunts Asus 0 12-29-2003 08:30 PM