Speedfan, MBM on NF7-S2

Ham Pastrami

Speedfan is giving me a couple of readings that I don't know what they are.
One is marked "Temp3" from the Winbond chip, and the reading is -48C. Looks
like just a dummy sensor or something.

The other one is Temp1 from ACPI chip, and the reading is 3C. Also looks
like a dummy value but what is this chip supposed to be?

Also, previously I was using MBM5 to try keeping my CPU temp under control.
The reason is that it overheats during the summer because I don't have AC in
my room. I already had to underclock my Athlon 3200 to a 2500 in order to
get any reasonable amount of playtime in games. But I am still getting
shutdowns when playing Prey. I was trying to locate exactly what temp causes
the shutdown, but MBM never seems to be able to catch it. If the CPU is at
the desktop it can go up to around 80C before shutdown. But even if I set
the alarm to 74C, it does not go off when playing Prey, it just shuts down
with no warning. I had the interval set at 2 seconds, so apparently it jumps
from below 74 to 80+ in less than 2 sec? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Wes Newell

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:17:34 +0000, Ham Pastrami wrote:

> Also, previously I was using MBM5 to try keeping my CPU temp under control.
> The reason is that it overheats during the summer because I don't have AC in
> my room. I already had to underclock my Athlon 3200 to a 2500 in order to
> get any reasonable amount of playtime in games. But I am still getting
> shutdowns when playing Prey. I was trying to locate exactly what temp causes
> the shutdown, but MBM never seems to be able to catch it. If the CPU is at
> the desktop it can go up to around 80C before shutdown. But even if I set
> the alarm to 74C, it does not go off when playing Prey, it just shuts down
> with no warning. I had the interval set at 2 seconds, so apparently it jumps
> from below 74 to 80+ in less than 2 sec? Or am I misunderstanding something?

If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

Ham Pastrami

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
> vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

Wes Newell

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:45:36 -0700, Ham Pastrami wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
>> vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

> I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
> system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

Should be, but I don't have a clue what you need for windows. Maybe check
the ATI (AMD) site, or google for gpu temps.

SumGuy

"Ham Pastrami" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jYOri.857$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
>> vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

> I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
> system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

How hot is your room?

My 2500+ might have peaked at 65-70 in 40 C temps here with no AC.

Maybe you should look at you heatsink and fan to make sure it isn't blocked,
or of you are using the default AMD heatsink for you CPU, get rid of it,
they are terrible on the Athlon CPUs. I can't recall now, but I think it was
something like 15 C difference in temp with a reasonable aftermarket
heatsink on my CPU.

Do you have overheat protection turned on in the BIOS. Maybe that is
shutting down the comp.

An overheating anything can cause all sorts of wierd behaviour.

Patty

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 03:16:08 GMT, Wes Newell wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:45:36 -0700, Ham Pastrami wrote:
>

>> "Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> If you want to significantly redice CPU temps you also need to lower
>>> vcore. However, it's just as likely that your video card is overheating.

>> I wasn't sure if the video card (a Radeon 9800 Pro btw) could shutdown the
>> system. If that is the case, is there a way to monitor the GPU temp?

> Should be, but I don't have a clue what you need for windows. Maybe check
> the ATI (AMD) site, or google for gpu temps.

I know that my GeForce card has a place in the configuration (Display
Properties, Settings Tab, Advanced) where you can view the temperature of
the GPU. Not sure if ATI has the same thing or not. I know that the
default shutdown temperature for my GeForce 6200 is 145 C, which seems
awful hot. It normally hovers between 39 C and 44 C, but then I don't play
a lot of graphic intensive games.

Patty

Bird Janitor®

Patty wrote:

| <snip>
| I know that the default shutdown temperature for my GeForce 6200
| is 145 C, which seems awful hot. ...

Hi Patty -

Even my Easy-Bake Oven® has been recalled .. because it seems to get "awful
hot".

http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?pa...recall_eb_oven

It always burned my tasty little treats! And, in reviewing the recall, I
was especially concerned with the 5-year old girl who suffered through a
partial finger amputation due to a serious burn. :-{

Jef

Patty

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:52:34 GMT, Bird Janitor® wrote:

> Patty wrote:
>|
>| <snip>
>| I know that the default shutdown temperature for my GeForce 6200
>| is 145 C, which seems awful hot. ...
>|

> Hi Patty -
>
> Even my Easy-Bake Oven® has been recalled .. because it seems to get "awful
> hot".
>
> http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?pa...recall_eb_oven
>
> It always burned my tasty little treats! And, in reviewing the recall, I
> was especially concerned with the 5-year old girl who suffered through a
> partial finger amputation due to a serious burn. :-{
>
> Jef

You gotta watch out for those Easy-Bake Ovens, Jef! I remember when they
only used a light bulb and a tin-foil liner in the oven to generate the
heat. They sure have come a long way since my day! (oh oh, am I giving my
age away now???? *vbg*)

Patty

D Larsen

Jef,

Perhaps you could make a little extra $$$ by publishing a cookbook on
how to fix your "tasty little treats" using GeForce cards as the heat
source in maybe a small, old AT case ? I'll bet Patty and I would buy
one (if the price is reasonable) !

......and, it might generate some discussion traffic in this NG.

Dean.....

"Bird Janitor®" wrote:

> Patty wrote:
> |
> | <snip>
> | I know that the default shutdown temperature for my GeForce 6200
> | is 145 C, which seems awful hot. ...
> |

> Hi Patty -
>
> Even my Easy-Bake Oven® has been recalled .. because it seems to get "awful
> hot".
>
> http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?pa...recall_eb_oven
>
> It always burned my tasty little treats! And, in reviewing the recall, I
> was especially concerned with the 5-year old girl who suffered through a
> partial finger amputation due to a serious burn. :-{
>
> Jef

Bird Janitor®

D Larsen wrote:

| Jef,
|
| Perhaps you could make a little extra $$$ by publishing a cookbook
| on how to fix your "tasty little treats" using GeForce cards as the
| heat source in maybe a small, old AT case ? I'll bet Patty and I
| would buy one (if the price is reasonable) !
|
| .....and, it might generate some discussion traffic in this NG.
|
| Dean.....

Hi Dean -

I thought of that.

But I didn't generate all that much interest (or traffic to the NG) when I
published Qed's recipes from The Pit®:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/the-pit.html

You think my Easy-Bake Oven® recipes would do any better?

Think Yellow Sponge Cake...

I'm sure you can imagine the first ingredient.

Jef

MBM Sensor 3 not registering? James R. Lunsford Abit 3 10-16-2004 02:54 PM
End of MBM:-( JimL Abit 7 07-07-2004 11:54 AM
MBM 5.3.6.0 Released JimL Abit 14 02-27-2004 11:58 PM
Question on MBM and A7N8X Deluxe. algae Asus 7 12-10-2003 02:02 PM
P4S8X-X + MBM 5 Chris _K Asus 1 11-01-2003 01:48 PM