Sr. Server Engineer (Vintage Systems) at Living Computer Museum, Vulcan Inc., Seattle

Rich Alderson

By way of preface, you may have seen an article in the Wall Street Journal
last month about Paul Allen's collection of vintage mainframe and minicomputer
systems, devoted in particular to my colleague's travels in Australia to
look for a 7094 (which turned out to be a 7090) and a System/360. We have
acquired a 360/40, along with another manufacturers' large systems, and need
to add someone to our team.

Vulcan Inc. - Seattle, WA
Living Computer Museum

Vulcan's Vintage Systems Team is responsible for the restoration,
operation and maintenance of the Living Computer Museum's collection of
vintage computer systems. This collection includes mainframe and
minicomputer systems manufactured by companies such as Digital Equipment
Corporation, Data General, IBM, and Hewlett-Packard during the emergence
of interactive and timeshared computing. The goal of the Living
Computer Museum is to restore these systems to run historically
appropriate software, presenting them as living artifacts to the
academic and research communities and to the public. The systems and
their associated software and documentation are curated to preserve
their historical provenance. For more information on the Living
Computer Museum, please visit

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/

Sr. Server Engineer

The Sr. Server Engineer is responsible for the restoration of vintage
systems as well as day-to-day operation and maintenance of the Living
Computer Museum collection. Responsibilities include hardware and
software installation, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting,
procurement of parts, and certification/performance testing of the
various computer systems including associated peripherals. Additional
duties include research and writing regarding individual systems and
their restoration and preservation. When required and on occasion,
responsibilities include assisting on special projects.

The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree and at least 6 years
related experience and/or training. Operations and administration
experience required with mainframe and minicomputer systems, with
emphasis on timesharing systems, or senior-level field service
experience with same. Must have strong analytical and planning skills
with the ability to communicate and conceptualize projects to integrate
the technology with the needs and functions of the Living Computer
Museum.

For a full job description and to apply, please visit our careers site:

http://jobs.vulcan.com/

--
Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Server Engineer Senior Curator

(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)

--
Rich Alderson (E-Mail Removed)
the russet leaves of an autumn oak/inspire once again the failed poet/

Robert Baer

Rich Alderson wrote:
> By way of preface, you may have seen an article in the Wall Street Journal
> last month about Paul Allen's collection of vintage mainframe and minicomputer
> systems, devoted in particular to my colleague's travels in Australia to
> look for a 7094 (which turned out to be a 7090) and a System/360. We have
> acquired a 360/40, along with another manufacturers' large systems, and need
> to add someone to our team.

> Vulcan Inc. - Seattle, WA
> Living Computer Museum
>
> Vulcan's Vintage Systems Team is responsible for the restoration,
> operation and maintenance of the Living Computer Museum's collection of
> vintage computer systems. This collection includes mainframe and
> minicomputer systems manufactured by companies such as Digital Equipment
> Corporation, Data General, IBM, and Hewlett-Packard during the emergence
> of interactive and timeshared computing. The goal of the Living
> Computer Museum is to restore these systems to run historically
> appropriate software, presenting them as living artifacts to the
> academic and research communities and to the public. The systems and
> their associated software and documentation are curated to preserve
> their historical provenance. For more information on the Living
> Computer Museum, please visit
>
> http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/
>
> Sr. Server Engineer
>
> The Sr. Server Engineer is responsible for the restoration of vintage
> systems as well as day-to-day operation and maintenance of the Living
> Computer Museum collection. Responsibilities include hardware and
> software installation, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting,
> procurement of parts, and certification/performance testing of the
> various computer systems including associated peripherals. Additional
> duties include research and writing regarding individual systems and
> their restoration and preservation. When required and on occasion,
> responsibilities include assisting on special projects.
>
> The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree and at least 6 years
> related experience and/or training. Operations and administration
> experience required with mainframe and minicomputer systems, with
> emphasis on timesharing systems, or senior-level field service
> experience with same. Must have strong analytical and planning skills
> with the ability to communicate and conceptualize projects to integrate
> the technology with the needs and functions of the Living Computer
> Museum.
>
> For a full job description and to apply, please visit our careers site:
>
> http://jobs.vulcan.com/

As i vaguely remember the 7090, the logic cards used discreet
Germanium PNP transistors.
And before the modifications making it a 7094 and then extending it,
the maximum memory was 1Meg with three index registers.