Standby power use - AMD or Intel?

U. U.

I am getting a new PC and would like to leave it on all my waking hours, so
I am concerned about power consumption when it's just sitting there not
doing anything. AMD XP processors seems to have standby power usage of
only about 5 watts, but what about Intel processors? Can they also be put
into a standby mode of low power (couldn't find any info about this on
Intel's website)? I expect electrical costs to increase rapidly in the
near future, so this is an issue for me.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Ule

Aaron

"U. U." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns94FF77947FFDFuubonfighotmail@209.221.136. 9>...
> I am getting a new PC and would like to leave it on all my waking hours, so
> I am concerned about power consumption when it's just sitting there not
> doing anything. AMD XP processors seems to have standby power usage of
> only about 5 watts, but what about Intel processors? Can they also be put
> into a standby mode of low power (couldn't find any info about this on
> Intel's website)? I expect electrical costs to increase rapidly in the
> near future, so this is an issue for me.
>
> Thanks for any tips or advice.
>
> Ule

I'm pretty sure most computers can go into standby. Then they just
use power to keep the memory intact. Even more conservative would be
a computer that can "hibernate", in which the system state is written
to the harddrive and the computer is turned off. On powerup, it just
loads the data off of the harddrive into memory, and you are ready to
go again, with programs still open and everything.

If you are really after power savings, maybe you should go for a
desktop replacement laptop. Then you won't have to pay upfront for a
LCD monitor if you don't already have one. LCD's take lots less
power. However, laptops will never be as good as desktops for
somethings, namely games. However, if you don't do games and can find
a laptop with a suitable keyboard, there is no reason other than a
couple hundred dollars not to go with one.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Aaron

U. U.

Thanks, a computer with a "hibernate" mode sounds like just what I'm
looking for. Now, how czn I find one? Are there particular chip/chip
set/motherboard combinations that do hibernation?

Thanks in advance.

(E-Mail Removed) (Aaron) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

"U. U." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns9500787631714uubonfighotmail@209.221.136. 9>...
> Thanks, a computer with a "hibernate" mode sounds like just what I'm
> looking for. Now, how czn I find one? Are there particular chip/chip
> set/motherboard combinations that do hibernation?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> (E-Mail Removed) (Aaron) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>
> > Even more conservative would be
> > a computer that can "hibernate", in which the system state is written
> > to the harddrive and the computer is turned off. On powerup, it just
> > loads the data off of the harddrive into memory, and you are ready to
> > go again, with programs still open and everything.

If you plan on buying in a "brick and mortar" store, just ask the
salesperson. However, they might lie to you, or just be uninformed.
So, you should check yourself. Hibernate should be one of the
shutdown options.

I think Hibernate has to be supported by the motherboard, but I'm not
sure which are compatible.

Are you going with a laptop or a desktop?

Aaron

U. U.

(E-Mail Removed) (Aaron) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Are you going with a laptop or a desktop?

A desktop would be best for my use, and easier to afford.

Thanks for your help.

Ule

ray

it has to be supported at the hardware as well as software level (os)
2k xp support them for sure... (ME im not sure about) also look for
all hardware which is 100% ACPI compliant.. lastly ull need as much
free space on ur hdd as u have ram (if u have 512mb ram u need 512 mb
on ur hdd free)

ECM

"U. U." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns950173A19FFD2uubonfighotmail@209.221.136. 9>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Aaron) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
> > Are you going with a laptop or a desktop?
> >

> A desktop would be best for my use, and easier to afford.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Ule

You should also check to see if your application will hibernate OK -
some don't survive hibernation, for whatever reason. Search for "your
app. (whatever it is) hibernate" on Google and see if there's any hint
of problems. I can't use hibernation with a proprietary
record-keeping system we use at work, because the connection to the
server crashes (instantly!), and I get nasty emails from the sysop. I
also can't use hibernation with a video encoding package I use at
home; the whole program and all the data is corrupted when I re-start.
Only a real boot will do.

Good Luck!
ECM

lowTheoryhighLogic

AMDs are cheaper upfront. the desktop versions of both intel and AMD
are about the same when it comes to power consumption ( the
manufactureres do not care that much about power consumption on a
desktop since theere is a constatn source of power. Win 200 supports
hibernate. i would suggest an ASUS motherboard
and go to http://www.tomshardware.com/ to check out the stats on the
system.
but AMD is cheaper with the same performance as an Intel

Marsupilami

I use an Asus A7N8X v2 motherboard and hibernation works. You need a
good power supply with gives 2A on the 5v circuit.