Neil Jones

Hi,

I have a disk from an old machine which were trashed. The disk is:

"20 GB - Seagate Model ST320014A".

I pulled the disks out a longtime ago. Now I want to retrieve the data
on this disk. Where do I start?

I got rid of all my desktop systems at home for about 3 years now and my
main computer is a laptop. With this in mind, how do I power the disk,
read/retrieve the disk contents? What kind of tools do I need?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid

U comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Neil Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> prica:
> I have a disk from an old machine which were trashed. The disk is:

> "20 GB - Seagate Model ST320014A".

> I pulled the disks out a longtime ago. Now I want to retrieve the data
> on this disk. Where do I start?

> I got rid of all my desktop systems at home for about 3 years now and my
> main computer is a laptop. With this in mind, how do I power the disk,
> read/retrieve the disk contents? What kind of tools do I need?

Get yourself a 3.5" USB external case, plug the drive inside and copy the
data... Or get some desktop (if you've got something), install Win on it,
enable file and printer sharing, share this drive and copy the data via
network...

BTW., I've got that same disk, it's one of the quietest disks I've ever had!

--
Marisola gleda suncokretov skupstinao lize danas ispod auta ?
By runf

Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
http://inovator.blog.hr
http://calypso-innovations.blogspot.com/

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:
> U comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Neil Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> prica:
>> I have a disk from an old machine which were trashed. The disk is:

>> "20 GB - Seagate Model ST320014A".

>> I pulled the disks out a longtime ago. Now I want to retrieve the data
>> on this disk. Where do I start?

>> I got rid of all my desktop systems at home for about 3 years now and my
>> main computer is a laptop. With this in mind, how do I power the disk,
>> read/retrieve the disk contents? What kind of tools do I need?

> Get yourself a 3.5" USB external case, plug the drive inside and copy the
> data... Or get some desktop (if you've got something), install Win on it,
> enable file and printer sharing, share this drive and copy the data via
> network...

You can also get IDE/SATA => USB kit with power supply but no case,
intended for exactly what you want to do. They typically can
accomodate 2.5" + 3.5" IDE and SATA drives.

Here is an example of one:

http://www.axpertec.com/Product-Adapter-AAD001B.asp

Arno

Bill Marcum

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
On 2009-02-07, Neil Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a disk from an old machine which were trashed. The disk is:
>
> "20 GB - Seagate Model ST320014A".
>
> I pulled the disks out a longtime ago. Now I want to retrieve the data
> on this disk. Where do I start?
>
> I got rid of all my desktop systems at home for about 3 years now and my
> main computer is a laptop. With this in mind, how do I power the disk,
> read/retrieve the disk contents? What kind of tools do I need?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> NJ

Look for a USB enclosure for the drive, or get a cheap desktop computer,
maybe a used one from a thrift store, with IDE hard disk connectors
(some newer machines only have SATA). If you get a used PC with no
operating system, you can boot it from a live CD such as the System
Rescue CD. Or you might be lucky and the old hard drive might be
bootable.

iws

"Neil Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JXgjl.543$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi,
|
| I have a disk from an old machine which were trashed. The disk is:
|
| "20 GB - Seagate Model ST320014A".
|
| I pulled the disks out a longtime ago. Now I want to retrieve the data
| on this disk. Where do I start?
|
| I got rid of all my desktop systems at home for about 3 years now and my
| main computer is a laptop. With this in mind, how do I power the disk,
| read/retrieve the disk contents? What kind of tools do I need?
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
|
| NJ

If you are only interested in getting the data off the disk, Arno's
suggestion is the easiest and cheapest approach. I think a USB enclosure
would be wasted on such a small (by modern standards) drive.

Junior Member
Location: Czech republic

Yea, but you did not "throw it away" after use, but you have it for future purposes. Eg. retrieving data from another crashed computer. Maybe he should invest in dual-capable one, eg. one that can work with PATA as well, as SATA drivers.

I use different approach. Having old testing computers on my home network with the classical IDE drawers. Some PATA, some SATA. That was you can get data over the network to any computer you desire

KT7-RAID cannot start up? Gabster Abit 8 12-30-2003 02:27 PM
Abit KT7A Raid Hotkeys to start Chevalier D'Aour Abit 1 10-26-2003 02:08 PM
KR7A-RAID lost CMOS & XP fails to start nduffy@cix.compulink.co.uk Abit 0 09-23-2003 03:17 PM
KT7A (Rev1.0) / XP2000+ / WinXP doesn't start Surfwienix Abit 9 08-21-2003 06:15 AM
pc doesn't start up Lenni Abit 11 08-12-2003 05:11 AM