start up msg "error loading OS"

bnkkn

Guys, I have a question for you

I built my first computer a few months back, but last night I tried to
overclock it. I had have an MSI platinum with an +3800 AM2 and Corsar
DDR2 800-6400 (5-5-5-12). I used the CoreMaster program and found that
my computer was stable to about 2.34 GHz. After that I went to the BIOS
and changed the Bus to 210. I saved the settings and tried to boot...
no luck...unstable. So I have a crash-free bios and restored the fail
proof start up option, restoring all the defaults. Now I get the
following message "error loading OS". Can I just reinstall
windows? (I would rather not do this) Are there any tricks you guys
know of to get this working? Do you guys think I fried some of my
hardware?

Thanks,

Ben

Stephen

On 13 Nov 2006 21:28:51 -0800, "bnkkn" <(E-Mail Removed)> had a flock
of green cheek conures squawk out:

>Guys, I have a question for you
>
>I built my first computer a few months back, but last night I tried to
>overclock it. I had have an MSI platinum with an +3800 AM2 and Corsar
>DDR2 800-6400 (5-5-5-12). I used the CoreMaster program and found that
>my computer was stable to about 2.34 GHz. After that I went to the BIOS
>and changed the Bus to 210. I saved the settings and tried to boot...
>no luck...unstable. So I have a crash-free bios and restored the fail
>proof start up option, restoring all the defaults. Now I get the
>following message "error loading OS". Can I just reinstall
>windows? (I would rather not do this) Are there any tricks you guys
>know of to get this working? Do you guys think I fried some of my
>hardware?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ben

Do you have more than one hard drive? Make sure the boot drive is
selected as the boot drive in the bios.

Stephen

Dylan C

bnkkn wrote:
> Guys, I have a question for you
>
> I built my first computer a few months back, but last night I tried to
> overclock it. I had have an MSI platinum with an +3800 AM2 and Corsar
> DDR2 800-6400 (5-5-5-12). I used the CoreMaster program and found that
> my computer was stable to about 2.34 GHz. After that I went to the BIOS
> and changed the Bus to 210. I saved the settings and tried to boot...
> no luck...unstable. So I have a crash-free bios and restored the fail
> proof start up option, restoring all the defaults. Now I get the
> following message "error loading OS". Can I just reinstall
> windows? (I would rather not do this) Are there any tricks you guys
> know of to get this working? Do you guys think I fried some of my
> hardware?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

Tinkering with overclocking occasionally corrups hard drive data. You
can try a repair install, but it never worked for me. Might have to do
a fresh install *without formatting*, back up your data, and then
format/reinstall from scratch.

-Dylan C

bnkkn

Stephen wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2006 21:28:51 -0800, "bnkkn" <(E-Mail Removed)> had a flock
> of green cheek conures squawk out:
>
> >Guys, I have a question for you
> >
> >I built my first computer a few months back, but last night I tried to
> >overclock it. I had have an MSI platinum with an +3800 AM2 and Corsar
> >DDR2 800-6400 (5-5-5-12). I used the CoreMaster program and found that
> >my computer was stable to about 2.34 GHz. After that I went to the BIOS
> >and changed the Bus to 210. I saved the settings and tried to boot...
> >no luck...unstable. So I have a crash-free bios and restored the fail
> >proof start up option, restoring all the defaults. Now I get the
> >following message "error loading OS". Can I just reinstall
> >windows? (I would rather not do this) Are there any tricks you guys
> >know of to get this working? Do you guys think I fried some of my
> >hardware?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Ben

> Do you have more than one hard drive? Make sure the boot drive is
> selected as the boot drive in the bios.
>
> Stephen
> --

Yeah, shortly after I posted this message I realized that when i reset
my BIOS, the boot sequence defaulted to boot from my storage drive. i
feel like an idiot...

Ed Light

"bnkkn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Yeah, shortly after I posted this message I realized that when i reset
> my BIOS, the boot sequence defaulted to boot from my storage drive. i
> feel like an idiot...

Wow. Don't feel bad.

--
Ed Light