Stay away from gateway!

leoruss7@gmail.com

These people don't stand behind their product. They even refuse to
sell you parts unless you send a computer to them "for repairs" so
that they could charge you hundreds of dollars for their "expertise".
If this is not extortion, I honestly don't know what is.
I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my
computer is not old by any means but it's out of their miserable
warrantly. Hell with it - I am willing to pay for the part but not for
bouncing the machine all over the country.
I am buying an ASUS that has 2 year warranty including 1 year for
ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.

Ben Myers

Same with HP. Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all your data
on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh copy of
Windows.

This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and post-warranty
repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. I do not charge hundreds of dollars and
I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. They ALL use the same generic parts these
days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all because of
the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.

What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt) purchasing
types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than having
someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. So I do
not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste money.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:06:38 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>These people don't stand behind their product. They even refuse to
>sell you parts unless you send a computer to them "for repairs" so
>that they could charge you hundreds of dollars for their "expertise".
>If this is not extortion, I honestly don't know what is.
>I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
>from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my
>computer is not old by any means but it's out of their miserable
>warrantly. Hell with it - I am willing to pay for the part but not for
>bouncing the machine all over the country.
>I am buying an ASUS that has 2 year warranty including 1 year for
>ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
>Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.

leoruss7@gmail.com

On Jan 23, 8:50*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Same with HP. *Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all your data
> on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh copy of
> Windows.
>
> This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and post-warranty
> repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. *I do not charge hundreds of dollars and
> I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
> Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. *They ALL use the same generic parts these
> days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all because of
> the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.
>
> What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt) purchasing
> types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than having
> someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. *SoI do
> not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste money..
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:06:38 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >These people don't stand behind their product. They even refuse to
> >sell you parts unless you send a computer to them "for repairs" so
> >that they could charge you hundreds of dollars for their "expertise".
> >If this is not extortion, I honestly don't know what is.
> >I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
> >from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my
> >computer is not old by any means but it's out of their miserable
> >warrantly. Hell with it - I am willing to pay for the part but not for
> >bouncing the machine all over the country.
> >I am buying an ASUS that has 2 year warranty including 1 year for
> >ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
> >Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Ben,
Since you are a pro in this. Where can I get cooling fan for gateway
M350WVN laptop?
Thanks in advance.
As far as hp, and suchlike goes - I would NEVER buy a box of matches
from them. I'm getting a new laptop from Asus. Among other things, at
least according to my experience, Korean companies treat their
customers better than those based in texas :-)

Ben Myers

Here are some possibilities:

If you are talking about the internal cooling fan, and it does not spin at all,
your best bet may well be eBay. There are also 3rd party parts houses, who
generally charge a bundle for the parts.

If the internal cooling fan is spinning but the computer keeps overheating, the
computer needs to be opened up and the fan vent area and the fan itself need to
be cleaned thoroughy with compressed air and q-tips. Sometimes just a blast of
compressed air is enough to dislodge enough dust to get the run running
efficiently again. Same for the secondary cooling fan for the graphics chip on
some models.

Finally, you can buy an inexpensive USB cooling unit that sits underneath the
laptop computer and ventilates from underneath.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:25:58 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 23, 8:50*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Same with HP. *Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all your data
>> on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh copy of
>> Windows.
>>
>> This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and post-warranty
>> repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. *I do not charge hundreds of dollars and
>> I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
>> Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. *They ALL use the same generic parts these
>> days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all because of
>> the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.
>>
>> What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt) purchasing
>> types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than having
>> someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. *So I do
>> not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste money.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:06:38 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >These people don't stand behind their product. They even refuse to
>> >sell you parts unless you send a computer to them "for repairs" so
>> >that they could charge you hundreds of dollars for their "expertise".
>> >If this is not extortion, I honestly don't know what is.
>> >I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
>> >from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my
>> >computer is not old by any means but it's out of their miserable
>> >warrantly. Hell with it - I am willing to pay for the part but not for
>> >bouncing the machine all over the country.
>> >I am buying an ASUS that has 2 year warranty including 1 year for
>> >ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
>> >Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.- Hide quoted text -

>Hi Ben,
>Since you are a pro in this. Where can I get cooling fan for gateway
>M350WVN laptop?
>Thanks in advance.
>As far as hp, and suchlike goes - I would NEVER buy a box of matches
>from them. I'm getting a new laptop from Asus. Among other things, at
>least according to my experience, Korean companies treat their
>customers better than those based in texas :-)

Ben Myers

One more comment here. Especially for laptops, parts for Gateway computers are
relatively hard to find compared to, say, Dell. Some of this has to do with
the relative numbers of computers sold, and some may have to do with spare parts
manufacturing and stocking strategies in the two companies.

However, compared to Sony and Toshiba, spares are really easy to find for
Gateways. HPaq parts are just about as difficult to find as Gateway's.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 23, 8:50*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Same with HP. *Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all your data
>> on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh copy of
>> Windows.
>>
>> This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and post-warranty
>> repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. *I do not charge hundreds of dollars and
>> I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
>> Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. *They ALL use the same generic parts these
>> days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all because of
>> the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.
>>
>> What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt) purchasing
>> types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than having
>> someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. *So I do
>> not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste money.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:06:38 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >These people don't stand behind their product. They even refuse to
>> >sell you parts unless you send a computer to them "for repairs" so
>> >that they could charge you hundreds of dollars for their "expertise".
>> >If this is not extortion, I honestly don't know what is.
>> >I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
>> >from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my
>> >computer is not old by any means but it's out of their miserable
>> >warrantly. Hell with it - I am willing to pay for the part but not for
>> >bouncing the machine all over the country.
>> >I am buying an ASUS that has 2 year warranty including 1 year for
>> >ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
>> >Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.- Hide quoted text -

>Hi Ben,
>Since you are a pro in this. Where can I get cooling fan for gateway
>M350WVN laptop?
>Thanks in advance.
>As far as hp, and suchlike goes - I would NEVER buy a box of matches
>from them. I'm getting a new laptop from Asus. Among other things, at
>least according to my experience, Korean companies treat their
>customers better than those based in texas :-)

leoruss7@gmail.com

On Jan 28, 9:45*am, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> One more comment here. *Especially for laptops, parts for Gateway computers are
> relatively hard to find compared to, say, Dell. * Some of this has to dowith
> the relative numbers of computers sold, and some may have to do with spareparts
> manufacturing and stocking strategies in the two companies.
>
> However, compared to Sony and Toshiba, spares are really easy to find for
> Gateways. *HPaq parts are just about as difficult to find as Gateway's.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:25:58 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Jan 23, 8:50*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >> Same with HP. *Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all your data
> >> on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh copy of
> >> Windows.

> >> This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and post-warranty
> >> repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. *I do not charge hundreds of dollars and
> >> I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
> >> Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. *They ALL use the same generic partsthese
> >> days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all because of
> >> the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.

> >> What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt) purchasing
> >> types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than having
> >> someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. *So I do
> >> not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste money.

> >> ... Ben Myers

> >Hi Ben,
> >Since you are a pro in this. Where can I get cooling fan for gateway
> >M350WVN laptop?
> >Thanks in advance.
> >As far as hp, and suchlike goes - I would NEVER buy a box of matches
> >from them. I'm getting a new laptop from Asus. Among other things, at
> >least according to my experience, Korean companies treat their
> >customers better than those based in texas :-)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the input!
One fan is spinning, and the other one is not, and when the machine is
booted the message "check your fan" is displayed. I have the cooling
pad, and am using it. I also found a used fan online for $59...

Kevin Childers

You left out the fact that they pay for tech time curb to curb, and yeah I
road that gravey train a time or two.

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Same with HP. Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all
> your data
> on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh
> copy of
> Windows.
>
> This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and
> post-warranty
> repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. I do not charge hundreds of
> dollars and
> I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
> Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. They ALL use the same generic parts
> these
> days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all
> because of
> the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.
>
> What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt)
> purchasing
> types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than
> having
> someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. So I
> do
> not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste
> money.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:06:38 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>These people don't stand behind their product. They even refuse to
>>sell you parts unless you send a computer to them "for repairs" so
>>that they could charge you hundreds of dollars for their "expertise".
>>If this is not extortion, I honestly don't know what is.
>>I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
>>from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my
>>computer is not old by any means but it's out of their miserable
>>warrantly. Hell with it - I am willing to pay for the part but not for
>>bouncing the machine all over the country.
>>I am buying an ASUS that has 2 year warranty including 1 year for
>>ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
>>Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.

Ben Myers

On the infrequent occasions I get involved with Fed Govt or Fed contractors, I
charge my usual hourly rate portal to portal, with 50% premium 5pm-midnight and
100% premium for graveyard shift. If they want it, they pay for it. Oops! We,
the taxpayers, pay for it... Ben Myers

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 17:02:11 -0600, "Kevin Childers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You left out the fact that they pay for tech time curb to curb, and yeah I
>road that gravey train a time or two.
>

>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Same with HP. Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all
>> your data
>> on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh
>> copy of
>> Windows.
>>
>> This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and
>> post-warranty
>> repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. I do not charge hundreds of
>> dollars and
>> I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with the
>> Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. They ALL use the same generic parts
>> these
>> days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all
>> because of
>> the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.
>>
>> What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt)
>> purchasing
>> types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than
>> having
>> someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. So I
>> do
>> not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste
>> money.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>

>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:06:38 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>These people don't stand behind their product. They even refuse to
>>>sell you parts unless you send a computer to them "for repairs" so
>>>that they could charge you hundreds of dollars for their "expertise".
>>>If this is not extortion, I honestly don't know what is.
>>>I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
>>>from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my
>>>computer is not old by any means but it's out of their miserable
>>>warrantly. Hell with it - I am willing to pay for the part but not for
>>>bouncing the machine all over the country.
>>>I am buying an ASUS that has 2 year warranty including 1 year for
>>>ANYTHING INCLUDING SPILLS AND ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE!
>>>Go to hell, gateway - you belong their.

Kevin Childers

Yes, and pay they do. If you can find an opportunity to do so, you might do
what we were doing. We were the local techs (subcontracted) representing a
couple of companies who had won support contracts with the
militay/government. As such we were paid $50.00 an hour, one hour minimum
and billed by the hour, for every call. It took about 30 minutes to get
there and 30 minutes back, plus what ever time we spent on site. If a hard
drive was bad we went and pulled it (about a 15 minute job all time counted)
and then shipped it off to where ever the company designated. A day or two
later a new hard drive would be shipped in, preloaded, and we would go
install it. All told it would add up to about $200.00. Our tax dollars at
work. Since we were the local reps for several companies we had each
company that had them send us a couple of shirts so the end users would know
which company was doing the work.

Only real issue was that some locations had us showing up one day after the
other working for different companies on different systems. Confused the
hell out of the end users, as we could not work on a company B computer
while on a company E tech call. Some companies had us responding the same
day and some would take a day or two to get the work order to us. Military
guys were OK with it, but on occasion it frustrated the hell out of the
civilians.

Also we were eligable for some good discounts on equipment through the
companies emplyee purchasing program.

Good work if you can get it. All tech with hardly any paperwork, just the
usual business paperwork, but then the boss and the front office folks saw
to that.

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On the infrequent occasions I get involved with Fed Govt or Fed
> contractors, I
> charge my usual hourly rate portal to portal, with 50% premium
> 5pm-midnight and
> 100% premium for graveyard shift. If they want it, they pay for it.
> Oops! We,
> the taxpayers, pay for it... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 17:02:11 -0600, "Kevin Childers"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>You left out the fact that they pay for tech time curb to curb, and yeah I
>>road that gravey train a time or two.
>>

>>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Same with HP. Worse yet, if you don't remove your hard drive with all
>>> your data
>>> on it, the system you get back will have another hard drive with a fresh
>>> copy of
>>> Windows.
>>>
>>> This all works out well for me, because I do a lot of upgrades and
>>> post-warranty
>>> repairs on Gateways, HPaqs, and Dells. I do not charge hundreds of
>>> dollars and
>>> I reserve the right to use generic replacement parts for the ones with
>>> the
>>> Gateway/HPaq/Dell sticker on it. They ALL use the same generic parts
>>> these
>>> days, and try to fool you into think that their parts are special all
>>> because of
>>> the stupid paper sticker with their part number on it.
>>>
>>> What really drives me up the wall are these corporate (and govt)
>>> purchasing
>>> types who must match the exact part number at any price, rather than
>>> having
>>> someone with technical expertise determine what the generic part is. So
>>> do
>>> not sell spare parts to these corporate types, who continue to waste
>>> money.
>>>
>>> ... Ben Myers

AmyW

I have loved all four of my gateway compters - 2 of which have been
laptops and have found their custemer service great.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I honestly don't know what is.
>I spoke with their vip, and the guy told me that they "harvest parts
>from old computers to perform repairs"... isn't it cute! BTW, my

Science in harmony with Nature
mailto: (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.shaklee.net/williamson
http://www.cinchplan.com/williamson

Ciao for now!

Humorous thought of the day:
Bones, I'm a captain, not a doctor. - Kirk