What stepping/specs to look for? (E6600)

Thomas Andersson

Hi!

Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible processor
model?

TIA
Thomas

Al Brumski

That's old stuff,

Look for an E6850. 3.0ghz stock, beautiful G0 stepping runs real cool.

I have one in my desk drawer that I'm gonna send to my daughter, (just
bought a QX9650 last week).

E6850 all the way.

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:26:50 +0100, "Thomas Andersson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
>and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
>looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible processor
>model?
>
>TIA
>Thomas

Thomas Andersson

Al Brumski wrote:

> That's old stuff,

Might be, but it's the edge of my budget.

> Look for an E6850. 3.0ghz stock, beautiful G0 stepping runs real cool.

Nice information, but doesn't realy answer the question at hand.

> I have one in my desk drawer that I'm gonna send to my daughter, (just
> bought a QX9650 last week).

Good for her, and for you, but doesn't help me at all with my issue.

>> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
>> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
>> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the
>> best possible processor model?

Brett Kline

Thomas Andersson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best
> possible processor model?

Only one E6600 to choose from.

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showcha...&culture=en-US

Howard Goldstein

:
: Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
: and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
: looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible processor
: model?

I didn't know what the hell I was doing at the time (*) and found 3Ghz
with the B3 stepping a no brainer on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

(*) And I've gotten better because I can really break things now

Thomas Andersson

Brett Kline wrote:

>> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
>> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
>> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best
>> possible processor model?

> Only one E6600 to choose from.
>
> http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showcha...&culture=en-US

I noticed that there was only one stepping when I started look aropund, but
there appears to be two different sspecs where the SL9ZL is preferable over
the SL9S8 (I think) due to some optimization and lower iddle power
consumption (so I guess I found my own answer).

Can someone confirm that I've understood this correctly?

Best Wishes
Thomas

Howard Goldstein

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:19:34 +0100, Thomas Andersson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Brett Kline wrote:
:
: >> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
: >> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
: >> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best
: >> possible processor model?
: >
: > Only one E6600 to choose from.
: >
: > http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showcha...&culture=en-US
:
: I noticed that there was only one stepping when I started look aropund, but
: there appears to be two different sspecs where the SL9ZL is preferable over
: the SL9S8 (I think) due to some optimization and lower iddle power
: consumption (so I guess I found my own answer).
:

My E6600 B3 was an SL9S8, you have the designation correct

RIAA

"Thomas Andersson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Al Brumski wrote:
>
>> That's old stuff,

> Might be, but it's the edge of my budget.

Wait a while and drop some more pennies into your piggy bank, and then the
reply will be most helpfull.

>> Look for an E6850. 3.0ghz stock, beautiful G0 stepping runs real cool.

> Nice information, but doesn't realy answer the question at hand.
>
>> I have one in my desk drawer that I'm gonna send to my daughter, (just
>> bought a QX9650 last week).

> Good for her, and for you, but doesn't help me at all with my issue.

Wait a while and drop some more pennies into your piggy bank, and then the
reply will be most helpfull.

>>> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
>>> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
>>> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the
>>> best possible processor model?

RobV

Thomas Andersson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best
> possible processor model?
>
> TIA
> Thomas

I have a B2 stepping E6600 running at 3 GHz @ 1.34V. I just raised the
FSB to 1333 MHz (333 in the BIOS setting) and didn't have to change
anything, including memory timings/voltage (using Corsair DDR2 800).
Highest temp with the stock HS/F is 50C when both cores are runnung
100%, as when I'm transcoding Divx Video.

Phil Weldon

'Thomas Andersson' wrote:
| Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
| and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
| looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible
processor
| model?
_____

In general, CPUs with a lower FSB and a higher multiplier are easier to
overclock because the motherboard chipset and circuit layout need not be
overclock as much, or even at all. If you have a 1333 MHz FSB capable
motherboard, the first 33% overclock with a 1066 MHz FSB doesn't require the
motherboard to be overclocked at all; with an E6600 1066 MHz FSB CPU,
setting the FSB to 1333 MHz gives a 33% overclock at 3 GHz.

This URL
http://processorfinder.intel.com/Lis...Spec=&OrdCode=
shows two sSPEC# designations for the E6600, both with the same B2 stepping.
The only difference noted in the chart for the two sSPEC# CPUs is
SL9SB Tdiode is enabled Extended Halt (C1E) power of 22 W
SL9ZL Extended Halt (C1E) power of 12 W

This reference has pointers to more detailed information the two sSPEC#
E6600 CPUs. Also, with the sSPEC# you can Google for how the two versions
compare for overclocking.

At least for purchase in the US, EBay prices for the E6600 don't look so
good.

What you have to consider for an EBay purchase (at least in the US EBay) of
an E6600 is that the 'Buy it now' prices today are HIGHER than at a quality
etailer like newegg.com ($234.99 & free shipping vs. $233.00 to $285.00 PLUS
shipping). For the E6600 up for bids, the one with the most immediate
auction close time (3 hours 22 minutes) is an OEM without a heatsink/fan and
has a current high bid of $118.00 US. I will be interesting to see how high
it goes.

Despite the 1333 MHz FSB for the E6750 2.66 GHz CPU, a NEW boxed, retail
with Intel heatsink/fan is likely less expensive than a E6600 on EBay.
newegg.com has the E6750 for $189.99 with free shipping.

If you don't have an immediate need, it might be wise to see the prices on
similar speed 'Penryn' CPUs when they come out early next year, and what
that does to the E6600 price.

Phil Weldon