docs.sun.com/source/816-7290-19/ch04_cable.html#pgfId-999796)
but without expansion unit and with one host.
Seems that's not ok since disks are not recognize by format command.
There was RAID 5 was configured. I erased it. What should be
configured at storage?

Thanks
Mario

DoN. Nichols

On 2009-04-28, Mario <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Storage 3310 RAID array. I want to use it as JBOD, half of the
> disks connected to
> one controller channel, the other half to other controller channel.
> I connected cables as it's is shown on FIGURE 4-16 (http://
> docs.sun.com/source/816-7290-19/ch04_cable.html#pgfId-999796)
> but without expansion unit and with one host.
> Seems that's not ok since disks are not recognize by format command.
> There was RAID 5 was configured. I erased it. What should be
> configured at storage?

Well ... with a just plain JBOD, if I connect it and fire up
format, it won't see the new drives on a Sun Fire 280R or Sun Blade
2000.

To have format see them, I first have to issue the command:

devfsadm -c disk -C

to make the entries in /dev/ and /devices to access the disks.

However, I have no idea how to deal with the hardware RAID.
(But you will probably need to do the format with the "-e" option to
turn off the special partitioning that the RAID uses -- and you *might*
also need to go through the dance of:

1) Plug in drive

2) Run "devfsadm -c disk -C"

3) type "format -e c?t?d0" (using whatever parameters are needed
to access the drive).

4) After it takes several minutes to discover that it can't
understand the current format, you select the "type" menu
entry, and then select "0. Auto configure".

If you have disks which have been used by certain hardware RAID
systems (the ones which I had were FC-AL disks which came in EMC
carriers -- no idea whose RAID controller), and you do
*anything* else at this point, you will have to pull the disk
and go through all of that again to get to the right point again
in the format program.

Anyway -- when you select "0. Auto configure", it should think
about it for a minute or two, and then say something like "I'm
going to have to re-format to a sector size of 512 byte -- OK?".

Give it the 'Y' to the "OK" and wait until it finishes (time is
a function of the size, of course), and after that is done you
can partition and label it as you need.

This is all assuming that the RAID box you have connected allows
you to access the drives directly. I happened to be using some
Eurologic JBOD arrays for my FC-AL drives.)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Mario

Thank for you replay.
I found on Sun forum that turning 3310 from RAID to stupid JBOD is not
possible.
I'll tey to set it up as RAID 5 and use it. That's not so bad, but I
wanted to play with SVM a little bit.

Mario

3511 JBOD Frank Cusack Sun Hardware 1 08-02-2005 02:43 AM
Please help copy RAID ARRAY to RAID ARRAY christopheraries@gmail.com Asus 1 07-17-2005 01:33 AM
Sun StorEdge 3310 array Vikas Agnihotri Sun Hardware 13 10-11-2004 11:58 AM
[Q] use PC hyperterminal connect to 3310 disk array?/ aaa Sun Hardware 1 10-14-2003 08:23 AM
KT7A - Convert RAID 1 Mirror to either single discs or JBOD - Span Rob Abit 0 07-28-2003 02:49 PM