Strange Apple Mail (reading) problem

Salmon Egg

I received an order confirmation from Smith Micro. Somehow, I am no
longer able to read the message with a double click on its display line.
The information is still there, because I can select it (highlight) with
a click and reply with the message quoted fully as it should be.

I tried marking the message as unread. The dot denoting unread showed up
properly, but I still could not read it with either a double click or
from the Message menu.

Is there any explanation available? Is there a way to make that message
normally readable as it should be?

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

David Empson

Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I received an order confirmation from Smith Micro. Somehow, I am no
> longer able to read the message with a double click on its display line.
> The information is still there, because I can select it (highlight) with
> a click and reply with the message quoted fully as it should be.
>
> I tried marking the message as unread. The dot denoting unread showed up
> properly, but I still could not read it with either a double click or
> from the Message menu.
>
> Is there any explanation available? Is there a way to make that message
> normally readable as it should be?

Can you see the message in the preview pane? (If you have hidden the
preview pane by dragging the divider all the way to the bottom or right
edge of the Mail window, drag the divider up or to the left to reveal
the preview pane again.)

The most likely explanation for the message not opening in a separate
window is if it is already open in a separate window, but at a location
on the screen where you cannot see it. After you double-click on the
message, have a look in the Window menu. Does the message title appear
in the list at the bottom of that window, with a check mark next to it?

If so, then the window is simply hidden somewhere. Try using Spaces or
Mission Control to check other spaces/desktops. If your computer has
multiple displays configured, the window might be off-screen in an area
assigned to a display you cannnot see.

The Zoom command in the Window menu might help, if the window size had
somehow been shrunk or the window is outside all valid desktop areas.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

JF Mezei

Salmon Egg wrote:
> I received an order confirmation from Smith Micro. Somehow, I am no
> longer able to read the message with a double click on its display line.
> The information is still there, because I can select it (highlight) with
> a click and reply with the message quoted fully as it should be.

There is an option in View to get the anternative content. For instance,
they may have sent a text/ascii version that contains nothing, and some
dangerous HTML with the content. If you are set to prefer save ascii, it
will display the empty content (which may contain a couple of blank lines).

In the View menu there is an option somewhere to vew the next content
type. Not sure of terminology.

Wes Groleau

On 06-03-2012 19:34, JF Mezei wrote:
> In the View menu there is an option somewhere to vew the next content
> type. Not sure of terminology.

There is also View->Message->Raw Source

--
Wes Groleau

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
come by their ignorance the hard way.
— Kurt Vonnegut