Strange(?) behaviour in Tyan 2882 (K8S Pro)

=?iso-8859-1?q?Jack_A._H=E6hre?=

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose what might or might not be a
problem in my K8S Pro (dual opteron) server board.

I recently bought some new server components including this board, but
I'm still waiting on the CPU's and RAM i orderd because they are still
not in stock.

However, I got the mainboard and figured I would mount it to prepare
for the other parts to arrive. (mounting power/reset switches and so
on.)

With the (Antec 550w Truepower) 24pin + 8pin EPS12V power cables
plugged in (and _without_ the cabinet power switch even connected to
the pins on the motherboard) I was surprised to hear the fan on my PSU
(and later I also noticed the CPU fan(s) too) start running as soon as
I flipped the power switch on the PSU on.

With the power switch is connected to the mainboard or not the same
thing happens (fans start up), and they won't shut down even if i hold
the power switch for 5+ seconds like I would expect them to.
There are no beeps or image on screen to indicate an error either.

I realize I'm trying to power it on without CPU's or RAM and I'm not
exactly expecting it to boot without problems ;-), but the lack of beep
codes or the fact that the fans will run regardless and the power
switch does not seem to do anything has got me thinking something is
broken with the board.

This is the first and only AMD system I've got access to or put
together, I'm also not very familiar with AMIBIOS so if anyone has some
clue to if this is normal or not for these kinds of boards I'd
appreciate the input.

--
Jack

Paul Murphy

"Jack A. Hæhre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose what might or might not be a
> problem in my K8S Pro (dual opteron) server board.
>
> I recently bought some new server components including this board, but
> I'm still waiting on the CPU's and RAM i orderd because they are still
> not in stock.
>
> However, I got the mainboard and figured I would mount it to prepare
> for the other parts to arrive. (mounting power/reset switches and so
> on.)
>
> With the (Antec 550w Truepower) 24pin + 8pin EPS12V power cables
> plugged in (and _without_ the cabinet power switch even connected to
> the pins on the motherboard) I was surprised to hear the fan on my PSU
> (and later I also noticed the CPU fan(s) too) start running as soon as
> I flipped the power switch on the PSU on.
>
> With the power switch is connected to the mainboard or not the same
> thing happens (fans start up), and they won't shut down even if i hold
> the power switch for 5+ seconds like I would expect them to.
> There are no beeps or image on screen to indicate an error either.
>
> I realize I'm trying to power it on without CPU's or RAM and I'm not
> exactly expecting it to boot without problems ;-), but the lack of beep
> codes or the fact that the fans will run regardless and the power
> switch does not seem to do anything has got me thinking something is
> broken with the board.
>
> This is the first and only AMD system I've got access to or put
> together, I'm also not very familiar with AMIBIOS so if anyone has some
> clue to if this is normal or not for these kinds of boards I'd
> appreciate the input.
>
> --
> Jack

I would suggest you unplug that from the mains right away and not attempt to
power it until the remaining parts are installed. Those parts are required
in order for various functions on the motherboard to work properly - without
them who knows what damage may have occurred by supplying power to the
board, never mind about its behaviour. By all means plug everything in and
get it ready as much as possible *except for the mains plug*. That should
always be the last connection after everything else is installed and
checked. You may find that its easier to install the motherboard with the
CPUs, HSFs and ram already plugged into it though. I know on my dual athlon
machine, plugging in the DIMMs results in a fair bit of motherboard flexing
so I like to do that with the board resting on an antistatic mat, likewise
attaching the HSFs requires a little brute force which I would rather not
have the motherboard mounting points subjected to. Its also simpler plugging
these bits into the board with it sitting level on an antistatic mat on a
desk in front of you rather than having to work inside a possibly cramped
case at who knows what angle.

Good luck and I hope nothing has been damaged as a result of supplying power
to the incomplete machine.

Paul