Strange monitor problem

Salmon Egg

I have a strange problem with a Samsun P2770 monitor and my Mac Pro.

1. What would be a better forum than this NG on the subject?

2. Because of poor vision for which glare is a problem, I have taken to
using inverse video. The Mac system provides an easy way to toggle
between regular and inverse video. That has been a very helpful feature.

The problem is that when I have a large black window with only a little
bit of white to it, what text there is is converted to be of extremely
low contrast, and becomes impossible to read. If there are gaps between
the window and the monitor edges, the text becomes readable.

One way this behavior can be made evident is to use Microsoft Word or
Excel to make a large black window using the Control-Option-Command-8
key combination from Universal Access. If there is a lot of text in the
window there is no problem. If you start typing in an empty window, the
text becomes more visible as you type.

You can see a small amount of text in a window change in brightness as
you toggle between a window significantly smaller than the screen to
where it is magnified to overfill the screen.

3. Is this phenomenon present in other monitors?

4. My inquiries of Samsung indicate that whoever reads inquiries has no
clue as to what is happening.

5. The problem reminds me of a similar one in early analog TV sets. They
used capacitive coupling between stages driving resistive loads on each
side of the coupling capacitor. Because the capacitor cannot transfer dc
levels, the brightness of the picture could vary depending upon the
composition of the picture. RCA (their patents controlled almost all
television at the time) got around the problem with a dc restorer
circuit.

6. I am certainly not up-to-date on modern digital monitors. Could it be
that Samsung uses analog ac coupling rather than digital circuitry to
move picture elements around?

Bill

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

Christoph Gartmann

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have a strange problem with a Samsun P2770 monitor and my Mac Pro.
>
>1. What would be a better forum than this NG on the subject?
>
>2. Because of poor vision for which glare is a problem, I have taken to
>using inverse video. The Mac system provides an easy way to toggle
>between regular and inverse video. That has been a very helpful feature.
>
>The problem is that when I have a large black window with only a little
>bit of white to it, what text there is is converted to be of extremely
>low contrast, and becomes impossible to read. If there are gaps between
>the window and the monitor edges, the text becomes readable.
>
>One way this behavior can be made evident is to use Microsoft Word or
>Excel to make a large black window using the Control-Option-Command-8
>key combination from Universal Access. If there is a lot of text in the
>window there is no problem. If you start typing in an empty window, the
>text becomes more visible as you type.
>
>You can see a small amount of text in a window change in brightness as
>you toggle between a window significantly smaller than the screen to
>where it is magnified to overfill the screen.
>
>3. Is this phenomenon present in other monitors?

I tried to reproduce your problem, but on my Eizo FlexScanL685EX and a MacPro
2 x 2.8 GHZ everything looks all right.

Regards,
Christoph Gartmann

--
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
Immunbiologie und Epigenetik

Salmon Egg

In article <jmgsik$raa$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Christoph Gartmann) wrote:

> I tried to reproduce your problem, but on my Eizo FlexScanL685EX and a MacPro
> 2 x 2.8 GHZ everything looks all right.

I have a suspicion that the problem may be unique to Samsung monitors
and possibly just to the P2770 model. A friend tried it with another
brand monitor and a Windows machine with the same results as yours. The
P2770 has a fairly large screen. For large analog displays, the need for
dc restoration becomes greater.

The Samsung responder suggested the fault may be with the computer. That
is why it is good to have your confirmation that you do not have a
problem. His suggested sounded far-fetched, and you made it seem even
more so.

But explanation is also far-fetched. to have a digital monitor depend
upon analog techniques (ac coupling) is strange. Stranger things have
been designed in the past.

Life is full of trick problems!

Bill

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a strange problem with a Samsun P2770 monitor and my Mac Pro.
>
> 1. What would be a better forum than this NG on the subject?
>
> 2. Because of poor vision for which glare is a problem, I have taken to
> using inverse video. The Mac system provides an easy way to toggle
> between regular and inverse video. That has been a very helpful feature.
>
> The problem is that when I have a large black window with only a little
> bit of white to it, what text there is is converted to be of extremely
> low contrast, and becomes impossible to read. If there are gaps between
> the window and the monitor edges, the text becomes readable.
>
> One way this behavior can be made evident is to use Microsoft Word or
> Excel to make a large black window using the Control-Option-Command-8
> key combination from Universal Access. If there is a lot of text in the
> window there is no problem. If you start typing in an empty window, the
> text becomes more visible as you type.
>
> You can see a small amount of text in a window change in brightness as
> you toggle between a window significantly smaller than the screen to
> where it is magnified to overfill the screen.
>
> 3. Is this phenomenon present in other monitors?
>
> 4. My inquiries of Samsung indicate that whoever reads inquiries has no
> clue as to what is happening.
>
> 5. The problem reminds me of a similar one in early analog TV sets. They
> used capacitive coupling between stages driving resistive loads on each
> side of the coupling capacitor. Because the capacitor cannot transfer dc
> levels, the brightness of the picture could vary depending upon the
> composition of the picture. RCA (their patents controlled almost all
> television at the time) got around the problem with a dc restorer
> circuit.
>
> 6. I am certainly not up-to-date on modern digital monitors. Could it be
> that Samsung uses analog ac coupling rather than digital circuitry to
> move picture elements around?
>
> Bill

My experience with Samsung is that they assemble a product with all the
best parts but don't bother to make it work correctly. It's probably
working as designed.

Erik Richard Sørensen

Salmon Egg wrote:
> I have a strange problem with a Samsun P2770 monitor and my Mac Pro.
>
> 1. What would be a better forum than this NG on the subject?
>
> 2. Because of poor vision for which glare is a problem, I have taken to
> using inverse video. The Mac system provides an easy way to toggle
> between regular and inverse video. That has been a very helpful feature.
>
> The problem is that when I have a large black window with only a little
> bit of white to it, what text there is is converted to be of extremely
> low contrast, and becomes impossible to read. If there are gaps between
> the window and the monitor edges, the text becomes readable.
>
> One way this behavior can be made evident is to use Microsoft Word or
> Excel to make a large black window using the Control-Option-Command-8
> key combination from Universal Access. If there is a lot of text in the
> window there is no problem. If you start typing in an empty window, the
> text becomes more visible as you type.
>
> You can see a small amount of text in a window change in brightness as
> you toggle between a window significantly smaller than the screen to
> where it is magnified to overfill the screen.
>
> 3. Is this phenomenon present in other monitors?
>
> 4. My inquiries of Samsung indicate that whoever reads inquiries has no
> clue as to what is happening.
>
> 5. The problem reminds me of a similar one in early analog TV sets. They
> used capacitive coupling between stages driving resistive loads on each
> side of the coupling capacitor. Because the capacitor cannot transfer dc
> levels, the brightness of the picture could vary depending upon the
> composition of the picture. RCA (their patents controlled almost all
> television at the time) got around the problem with a dc restorer
> circuit.
>
> 6. I am certainly not up-to-date on modern digital monitors. Could it be
> that Samsung uses analog ac coupling rather than digital circuitry to
> move picture elements around?

I'm using my monitor in exact same way like you - also because I have
very little sight left... - Always running in reverse mode and only
switching to normal, if I'm going to look at or edit some pictures...

You can change the contrast in the Systempreferences -> Universal Access
- the pane 'Vision' (maybe 'sight', I'm using non-English as std.)...

At the buttom there is a slider to adjust the contrast level. If you
move the slider apprx. 1 cm towards right with the monitor set in
'Reverse Mode', the contrast will increase, but also darken the view a
bit. - If you then switch back to 'Normal mode', you will see that the
contrast has lowered a bit. This means that the contrast settings do
follow the viewing mode when moving the slider - increasing contrast in
'Reverse Mode' and lowering contrast in 'Normal View'.

If you need it, you can also adjust the size of the arrow in Universal
Access -> Keyboard. Here is a slider for enlarging the arrow. For myself
I've increased arrow size apprx. 10-12%....

You don't mention it, but I presume that you're using Times new Roman as
default font in MSWord? TNR is a font with very thin up and down
strikes, which will give some odd viewing on most monitors.

You can try to switch to another serif font like 'New York' or
'Georgia', but I'm afraid you will get the same result. Instead I'll
recommend you to switch to a good sans-serif font like 'Arial' as
default font. Arial has equal up- and down strikes, so it will always
give most sharp and visibility.

Another hint making text and fonts more visible is to change the
screencolor of the font from 'black' to 'very dark blue', which in
'Reverse Mode' will give a clear light yellow on black background. -
This is the setting I use most when writing standard body text without
any other formatting.

OK, when all this is said, the Samsung monitors aren't the best for
visual impaired. Though they claim so they arenot anti-glare - unless
you're sitting completely looking at the center of the monitor, when
writing.

Until lately I've had a 28" ViewSonic which was 100% anti-glare. - The
sun could be shining directly on the monitor surface and I was still
able to read what I was writing! Sadly it died, and it wasn't affordable
to repair it, so I had to buy a new monitor. At first I bought a HP
ZR30W, but that high professional monitor will not work with a NVidia
GForce 7300GT/256 Dual-DVI and my MacPro. It worked for apprx. two hours
and then died. The on-site HP technician spent nearly two hours fixing
it, but then gave up.:-(

The store of course took it back and instead I bought a new 27" Philips
273P professional pivot monitor. This one is working great with the
GForce 7300GT graphics card, and it is screamingly fast with it's 2ms
response time.

If you want to, I can make a table with the most visible and best usable
fonts for vision impaired and send it to you off-list. Just send me a
not to <(E-Mail Removed)> and I'll return it with a PDF
file with comparisons of fonts.

Cheers, Erik Richard

--
Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <(E-Mail Removed)>