strange trash behavior after installing new ext HD

heron stone

I installed a new ext. FW HD today and shuffled a lot of files around.

Now my trash is behaving strangely.

When I drag a file into the trash or hit CMD-delete, I get a dialog
saying, "The item "XXX" will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you
want to continue?"

If i say OK, the file is completely deleted just like it says... not
just put in the trash.

Before, when I dragged stuff to the trash or hit CMD=delete, it remained
in the trash until I emptied it myself.

Why did it change behavior?
How can I change it back to it's previous way of operating?

thanks

heron

--
unDO email address
___

heron stone

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
heron stone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I installed a new ext. FW HD today and shuffled a lot of files around.
>
> Now my trash is behaving strangely.
>
> When I drag a file into the trash or hit CMD-delete, I get a dialog
> saying, "The item "XXX" will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you
> want to continue?"
>
> If i say OK, the file is completely deleted just like it says... not
> just put in the trash.
>
> Before, when I dragged stuff to the trash or hit CMD=delete, it remained
> in the trash until I emptied it myself.
>
> Why did it change behavior?
> How can I change it back to it's previous way of operating?
>
> thanks
>
> heron

Duh... my system: dual 1.25 G4, OSX 10.3.4

--
unDO email address
___
Nature, heron stone
to be commanded, (E-Mail Removed)
must be obeyed. http://home.comcast.net/~heronstone/

heron stone

additional info

I have 7 HDs disks mounted.

internal
boot (80GB)
bootbak (80GB clone of boot - duped every night with retrospect)
media1 (250GB)
media2 (250GB)
external FW
media3 (160GB)
media4 (200GB)
media4bak (200GB clone of media4 - duped every night with retrospect)

Previously media4 and media4bak were 80GB FW HDs. The data on them was
transferred to the new 200GB HDs and the 2 80s were shelved for later
use.

The problem is only with deleting items on the disks media4 and
media4bak.

heron

--
unDO email address
___
Nature, heron stone
to be commanded, (E-Mail Removed)
must be obeyed. http://home.comcast.net/~heronstone/

Gregory Weston

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
heron stone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> additional info
>
> I have 7 HDs disks mounted.
>
> internal
> boot (80GB)
> bootbak (80GB clone of boot - duped every night with retrospect)
> media1 (250GB)
> media2 (250GB)
> external FW
> media3 (160GB)
> media4 (200GB)
> media4bak (200GB clone of media4 - duped every night with retrospect)
>
> Previously media4 and media4bak were 80GB FW HDs. The data on them was
> transferred to the new 200GB HDs and the 2 80s were shelved for later
> use.
>
> The problem is only with deleting items on the disks media4 and
> media4bak.

But not media3?

What file system is in use on media4 and media4bak?

What kind of device is the external FireWire case?

What do you get from this in terminal:
'ls -l a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash'
?

--
Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his

heron stone

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gregory Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> heron stone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > additional info
> >
> > I have 7 HDs disks mounted.
> >
> > internal
> > boot (80GB)
> > bootbak (80GB clone of boot - duped every night with retrospect)
> > media1 (250GB)
> > media2 (250GB)
> > external FW
> > media3 (160GB)
> > media4 (200GB)
> > media4bak (200GB clone of media4 - duped every night with retrospect)
> >
> > Previously media4 and media4bak were 80GB FW HDs. The data on them was
> > transferred to the new 200GB HDs and the 2 80s were shelved for later
> > use.
> >
> > The problem is only with deleting items on the disks media4 and
> > media4bak.

> But not media3?

that's right, it's fine

> What file system is in use on media4 and media4bak?

mac os extended

> What kind of device is the external FireWire case?

both maxtor ext FW drives

> What do you get from this in terminal:
> 'ls -l a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash'

ls: a: No such file or directory

and i get the same response for every drive
including the boot drive.

heron

--
unDO email address
___
Nature, heron stone
to be commanded, (E-Mail Removed)
must be obeyed. http://home.comcast.net/~heronstone/

Barry Margolin

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
heron stone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gregory Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > What do you get from this in terminal:
> > 'ls -l a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash'

> ls: a: No such file or directory
>
> and i get the same response for every drive
> including the boot drive.

It should be "-a", not just "a".

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

heron stone

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> heron stone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Gregory Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > What do you get from this in terminal:
> > > 'ls -l a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash'

> > ls: a: No such file or directory
> >
> > and i get the same response for every drive
> > including the boot drive.

> It should be "-a", not just "a".

aah... that makes a difference... thanks

i ran all my disks... results follow

[heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/heron | grep rash
[heron:~] heron%

[heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/heronbak | grep rash
d-wx-wx-wx 5 root admin 170 7 Aug 03:33 .Trashes
drwxr-xr-x 14 heron unknown 476 7 Aug 02:54 Trash

[heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media1 | grep rash
d-wx-wx-wx 5 root admin 170 8 Oct 2003 .Trashes

[heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media2 | grep rash
d-wx-wx-wx 6 root staff 204 24 May 20:50 .Trashes

[heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media3 | grep rash
d-wx-wx-wx 5 root admin 170 8 Oct 2003 .Trashes

[heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media4 | grep rash
d-wx-wx-wx 4 root admin 136 6 Aug 20:58 .Trashes

[heron:~] heron% ls -l -a /Volumes/media4bak | grep rash
d-wx-wx-wx 4 root admin 136 7 Aug 04:37 .Trashes

--
unDO email address
___