stuck in second gear [800x600 rez]

Anne Onime

I have a Radeon 9200 under Windows 98SE, also triple boot
with Windows 2000 and Linux.
It has a CRT monitor, was working fine at 1024x768 and more.
One day Windoze boots in safe mode, dunno why
I restart and it is only 800x600. So I tried to change
but it protests that it can't and I should check in device
manager. There were no yellow marks there.
I plugged in an LCD monitor on DVI socket, and
it also refused to change from 800x600.
I have ATI driver 8.3.98, which I believe was the last
made for Windows 9x.
It works fine under the other operating systems.

me

On Mon, 17 May 2010 09:27:56 +0200 (CEST), Anne Onime
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Radeon 9200 under Windows 98SE, also triple boot
>with Windows 2000 and Linux.
>It has a CRT monitor, was working fine at 1024x768 and more.
> One day Windoze boots in safe mode, dunno why
>I restart and it is only 800x600. So I tried to change
>but it protests that it can't and I should check in device
>manager. There were no yellow marks there.
> I plugged in an LCD monitor on DVI socket, and
>it also refused to change from 800x600.
>I have ATI driver 8.3.98, which I believe was the last
>made for Windows 9x.
> It works fine under the other operating systems.

Did it change your monitor in device manager to something that only
supports 800x600 resolution? It's been a long time since I was in
WIn98 but I think you can set it to "SuperVGA" and get the resolution
up a bit. The correct thing to do would be to install the original
monitor drivers if you still have them... or maybe just go into device
manager and change to the proper driver.

Wish I could be more specific, but it's been too long since win98!