Studio 1737 and XP

Cox Newsgroups

I would like to get a Dell Studio 1737 and install Windows XP. I did a
search and found a few posts where it appears that people have successfully
installed XP. Has anybody from this newsgroup tried it?

My other option is a Vostro 1720. I see that it has a non-glare LED
display. I know it has an option for the true life but it is more
expensive. Also, I have not seen this in person. I have seen the Studio at
a local store. Does anybody have any opinions on the Vostro?

Thanks.

vbDavidC

I don't know which part of the installation you are talking about but
here is some things I worked out with XP.

I don't have a Dell Studio but I installed it on a new Inspiron for a
friend about 2 weeks ago. It actually went pretty smooth once I
understood what I was doing.

I have done a ton of installs of XP but the trick with new machines is
the SATA contoller. XP does not have native support for SATA during
the installation. Since this was my first time I was not sure how to
do it but I had a XP SP3 CD which I thought might help me since there
is SATA support for it but I think there is some confusion about
support. I don't think it means during the installation.

The trick was having the correct SATA driver. If you go to the Dell
website and you look up your service tag or model it will have XP
drivers. When I downloaded the SATA drivers I was able to place them
on a floppy diskette. My friend who I was helping had a USB floppy
drive which made this process easier. If we would not have had the
floppy drive we would have had to slipstream the drivers onto a 'new'
XP CD. I did not need it this time but I have used nLite for other
things recently it allows you to create a new CD with hardware
drivers.

When the XP install came up we hit the F6 key which at some point
displayed a long list of controllers to select from. I did not know
which to select so what we ended up having to do was to go back into
Vista and go to the Device Manager to see which specific Intel
Controller model was used. We restarted the XP install and after I
selected the right controller it installed like Butter.

For whatever reason I had not dealt with XP and SATA drives/drivers so
I was somewhat SATA ignorant but once you get past this you are good
to go.

FYI, I did a dual boot with Win7 (XP installed first) and that worked
out well. I posted a question on this group and someone referred to
the following website:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...sta_installed_...

They have instructions for different systems.

David

Cox Newsgroups

Sorry for not being clear. I know how to get by the SATA driver. I, too,
have installed XP on an Inspiron. I wanted information/experiences
specifically for the Dell Studio 1737 and/or 1735.

Thanks.

"vbDavidC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't know which part of the installation you are talking about but
> here is some things I worked out with XP.
>
> I don't have a Dell Studio but I installed it on a new Inspiron for a
> friend about 2 weeks ago. It actually went pretty smooth once I
> understood what I was doing.
>
> I have done a ton of installs of XP but the trick with new machines is
> the SATA contoller. XP does not have native support for SATA during
> the installation. Since this was my first time I was not sure how to
> do it but I had a XP SP3 CD which I thought might help me since there
> is SATA support for it but I think there is some confusion about
> support. I don't think it means during the installation.
>
> The trick was having the correct SATA driver. If you go to the Dell
> website and you look up your service tag or model it will have XP
> drivers. When I downloaded the SATA drivers I was able to place them
> on a floppy diskette. My friend who I was helping had a USB floppy
> drive which made this process easier. If we would not have had the
> floppy drive we would have had to slipstream the drivers onto a 'new'
> XP CD. I did not need it this time but I have used nLite for other
> things recently it allows you to create a new CD with hardware
> drivers.
>
> When the XP install came up we hit the F6 key which at some point
> displayed a long list of controllers to select from. I did not know
> which to select so what we ended up having to do was to go back into
> Vista and go to the Device Manager to see which specific Intel
> Controller model was used. We restarted the XP install and after I
> selected the right controller it installed like Butter.
>
> For whatever reason I had not dealt with XP and SATA drives/drivers so
> I was somewhat SATA ignorant but once you get past this you are good
> to go.
>
> FYI, I did a dual boot with Win7 (XP installed first) and that worked
> out well. I posted a question on this group and someone referred to
> the following website:
>
> http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...sta_installed_...
>
> They have instructions for different systems.
>
> David

Gary Baldi

On Aug 8, 7:22*pm, "Cox Newsgroups" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would like to get a Dell Studio 1737 and install Windows XP. *I did a
> search and found a few posts where it appears that people have successfully
> installed XP. *Has anybody from this newsgroup tried it?
>
> My other option is a Vostro 1720. *I see that it has a non-glare LED
> display. *I know it has an option for the true life but it is more
> expensive. *Also, I have not seen this in person. *I have seen the Studio at
> a local store. *Does anybody have any opinions on the Vostro?
>
> Thanks.

I have the Vostro 1700 which, I believe, is the same machine albeit
different chipset on the mobo.

Quite lumpy, wouldn't want to carry it too far. Also the ac adaptor
fit into the socket is loose (had the same on a previous Inspiron
laptop).......it has an annoying tendency to slip out.

Other than that, great machine. I've had XP, Vista and, currently,
Windows 7 on it without any problems at all, don't ever recall a BSOD.

Be wary if you want to upgrade the memory; one of the memory modules
bizarrely lives under the keyboard so it's a full dismantle jobbie.

Junior Member

i've got xp home sp3 installed successfully on a studio 1737
finding drivers are a pain in the a**
i don't know if the ir works
the camera works
i cant get bluetooth to work atm
the wireless/lan is fine
chipset drivers/vga drivers from intel work like a charm
1394 net adapter in device manager has yellow (!) don't know why
the card reader works
the audio works but isnt that great, some people are having problems with the mic but haven't checked that yet

its a real pain in the a** get a diff model

anybody know why the 1394 adapter isn't working properly?

Quote:
itfab.us/tmp/studio1737_xp.jpg

Last edited by hyphenated; 09-03-2009 at 10:17 PM..

Studio 1737 Bob Sauerbraugh Dell 1 03-21-2012 06:01 PM
studio 1737 power switch PeterLudes Dell 2 12-23-2011 01:01 AM
Re: refurbished dell studio 1737 freezing Bob Villa Dell 0 07-22-2010 11:08 AM
Re: DELL Studio 1737 Audio Problem Chuck Dell 0 07-13-2009 08:39 PM
Re: DELL Studio 1737 Audio Problem S.Lewis Dell 0 07-09-2009 07:40 PM