Studio XPS 8100 - Front Bezel Lights Not On

Boris

Hi,

I've got a Studio XPS 8100 whose front bezel lights have never worked
since I bought the machine in October 2010. When I received the machine,
I plugged it in, set it up, and noticed that the hard drive light never
came on, but I just put it back in the closet for another time. I bought
it because it was a good price with Win7.

This week, I decided I'd better start using it and banging on it before
the one year warranty ran out. I noticed that beside the hard light not
working, the DVD lights do not come on either when I use the drive to
install applications.

I've looked at the service manual online, but I don't find anything
specific as to where the front bezel lights get power. Since these are
individual components (hard drive, DVD), I'm sort of stumped as to how
this is even possible.

Any ideas?

TIA

Pen

On 9/17/2011 7:58 PM, Boris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a Studio XPS 8100 whose front bezel lights have never worked
> since I bought the machine in October 2010. When I received the machine,
> I plugged it in, set it up, and noticed that the hard drive light never
> came on, but I just put it back in the closet for another time. I bought
> it because it was a good price with Win7.
>
> This week, I decided I'd better start using it and banging on it before
> the one year warranty ran out. I noticed that beside the hard light not
> working, the DVD lights do not come on either when I use the drive to
> install applications.
>
> I've looked at the service manual online, but I don't find anything
> specific as to where the front bezel lights get power. Since these are
> individual components (hard drive, DVD), I'm sort of stumped as to how
> this is even possible.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Check if the front panel cable is attached to the mobo.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...t/rr.htm#bezel

Boris

Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:j53gqf$6ak$(E-Mail Removed):

> On 9/17/2011 7:58 PM, Boris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a Studio XPS 8100 whose front bezel lights have never worked
>> since I bought the machine in October 2010. When I received the
>> machine, I plugged it in, set it up, and noticed that the hard drive
>> light never came on, but I just put it back in the closet for another
>> time. I bought it because it was a good price with Win7.
>>
>> This week, I decided I'd better start using it and banging on it
>> before the one year warranty ran out. I noticed that beside the hard
>> light not working, the DVD lights do not come on either when I use
>> the drive to install applications.
>>
>> I've looked at the service manual online, but I don't find anything
>> specific as to where the front bezel lights get power. Since these
>> are individual components (hard drive, DVD), I'm sort of stumped as
>> to how this is even possible.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> TIA

> Check if the front panel cable is attached to the mobo.
> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...t/rr.htm#bezel

I opened up the machine and took off the front panel, and had to remove
the DVD in order to trace the HD LED wires back to the mother board.
They were plugged in at the board, and at the other end are soldered to
the tiny LED leadouts. I was able to scrape back a little of of the
shrink tubing on the leadouts, and test to see if there was power to the
light as I loaded Windows and launched apps. My voltmeter showed power,
but I couldn't view the readings because the digital meter changed from 0
to very low numbers very fast. But, a continuity check across the two
leadouts showed no continuity. I suspect the LED is getting power, but
is dead.

As far as the DVD lights are concerned, that's a different story. The
entire DVD is enclosed behind the front panel. On the panel, there's a
button to press, that mechanically pushes the button on the DVD behind
it. The front panel door opens, and only the DVD tray slides out. The
section of the DVD that has the little green light is still obscured by
the panel. What I thought were DVD lights on the panel button were only
indentations, I guess made to indicate where to press to open/close the
DVD. If you take the entire panel off, you can see the DVD light work
normally. This was just a poor design...you are never able to see the
DVD lights work on this machine,unless you have the front panel off.

I'm going to have Dell fix the HD LED, since it doesn't look like I can
get it out of it's mount. If they'd send me the whole assembly, I'll do
it.

Boris

Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9F64B4107153Anospamnospaminvalid@46.4.102. 18:

> Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:j53gqf$6ak$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 9/17/2011 7:58 PM, Boris wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got a Studio XPS 8100 whose front bezel lights have never
>>> worked since I bought the machine in October 2010. When I received
>>> the machine, I plugged it in, set it up, and noticed that the hard
>>> drive light never came on, but I just put it back in the closet for
>>> another time. I bought it because it was a good price with Win7.
>>>
>>> This week, I decided I'd better start using it and banging on it
>>> before the one year warranty ran out. I noticed that beside the
>>> hard light not working, the DVD lights do not come on either when I
>>> use the drive to install applications.
>>>
>>> I've looked at the service manual online, but I don't find anything
>>> specific as to where the front bezel lights get power. Since these
>>> are individual components (hard drive, DVD), I'm sort of stumped as
>>> to how this is even possible.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> TIA

>> Check if the front panel cable is attached to the mobo.
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...t/rr.htm#bezel
>>

> I opened up the machine and took off the front panel, and had to
> remove the DVD in order to trace the HD LED wires back to the mother
> board. They were plugged in at the board, and at the other end are
> soldered to the tiny LED leadouts. I was able to scrape back a little
> of of the shrink tubing on the leadouts, and test to see if there was
> power to the light as I loaded Windows and launched apps. My
> voltmeter showed power, but I couldn't view the readings because the
> digital meter changed from 0 to very low numbers very fast. But, a
> continuity check across the two leadouts showed no continuity. I
> suspect the LED is getting power, but is dead.
>
> As far as the DVD lights are concerned, that's a different story. The
> entire DVD is enclosed behind the front panel. On the panel, there's
> a button to press, that mechanically pushes the button on the DVD
> behind it. The front panel door opens, and only the DVD tray slides
> out. The section of the DVD that has the little green light is still
> obscured by the panel. What I thought were DVD lights on the panel
> button were only indentations, I guess made to indicate where to press
> to open/close the DVD. If you take the entire panel off, you can see
> the DVD light work normally. This was just a poor design...you are
> never able to see the DVD lights work on this machine,unless you have
> the front panel off.
>
> I'm going to have Dell fix the HD LED, since it doesn't look like I
> can get it out of it's mount. If they'd send me the whole assembly,
> I'll do it.

An update...the Dell contractor finally came out yesterday equipped with
an entire front panel (wrong color, white instead of black) and the hard
drive activity light. All I needed was the light. But, once installed,
the light still didn't work. The tech called back in, and they are now
sending out a new power supply to try. Go figure. I think this is going
to be a remove and replace until it works repair job.

news:Xns9F71594F7EC1Bnospamnospaminvalid@88.198.24 4.100:

> Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns9F64B4107153Anospamnospaminvalid@46.4.102. 18:
>
>> Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:j53gqf$6ak$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Check if the front panel cable is attached to the mobo.
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...t/rr.htm#bezel
>>>

>> I opened up the machine and took off the front panel, and had to
>> remove the DVD in order to trace the HD LED wires back to the mother
>> board. They were plugged in at the board, and at the other end are
>> soldered to the tiny LED leadouts. I was able to scrape back a
>> little of of the shrink tubing on the leadouts, and test to see if
>> there was power to the light as I loaded Windows and launched apps.
>> My voltmeter showed power, but I couldn't view the readings because
>> the digital meter changed from 0 to very low numbers very fast. But,
>> a continuity check across the two leadouts showed no continuity. I
>> suspect the LED is getting power, but is dead.
>>
>> As far as the DVD lights are concerned, that's a different story.
>> The entire DVD is enclosed behind the front panel. On the panel,
>> there's a button to press, that mechanically pushes the button on the
>> DVD behind it. The front panel door opens, and only the DVD tray
>> slides out. The section of the DVD that has the little green light
>> is still obscured by the panel. What I thought were DVD lights on
>> the panel button were only indentations, I guess made to indicate
>> where to press to open/close the DVD. If you take the entire panel
>> off, you can see the DVD light work normally. This was just a poor
>> design...you are never able to see the DVD lights work on this
>> machine,unless you have the front panel off.
>>
>> I'm going to have Dell fix the HD LED, since it doesn't look like I
>> can get it out of it's mount. If they'd send me the whole assembly,
>> I'll do it.
>>

> An update...the Dell contractor finally came out yesterday equipped
> with an entire front panel (wrong color, white instead of black) and
> the hard drive activity light. All I needed was the light. But, once
> installed, the light still didn't work. The tech called back in, and
> they are now sending out a new power supply to try. Go figure. I
> think this is going to be a remove and replace until it works repair
> job.

Tech installed new power supply. Hard drive activity light still won't
work. Neither he nor I thought it would, but Dell seemed confident when
they dispatched the thing. I said that's enough (don't want to next try
a refurbished mother board).

I'm curious though, does the light get it's signal from the mother board,
or from the hard drive to the mother board and back to the light?

Bob_Villa

On Oct 5, 7:48*pm, Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:Xns9F71594F7EC1Bnospamnospaminvalid@88.198. 244.100:
>

> > Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:Xns9F64B4107153Anospamnospaminvalid@46.4.102 .18:

> >> I opened up the machine and took off the front panel, and had to
> >> remove the DVD in order to trace the HD LED wires back to the mother
> >> board. *They were plugged in at the board, and at the other end are
> >> soldered to the tiny LED leadouts. *I was able to scrape back a
> >> little of of the shrink tubing on the leadouts, and test to see if
> >> there was power to the light as I loaded Windows and launched apps.
> >> My voltmeter showed power, but I couldn't view the readings because
> >> the digital meter changed from 0 to very low numbers very fast. *But,
> >> a continuity check across the two leadouts showed no continuity. *I
> >> suspect the LED is getting power, but is dead.

> >> As far as the DVD lights are concerned, that's a different story.
> >> The entire DVD is enclosed behind the front panel. *On the panel,
> >> there's a button to press, that mechanically pushes the button on the
> >> DVD behind it. *The front panel door opens, and only the DVD tray
> >> slides out. *The section of the DVD that has the little green light
> >> is still obscured by the panel. *What I thought were DVD lights on
> >> the panel button were only indentations, I guess made to indicate
> >> where to press to open/close the DVD. *If you take the entire panel
> >> off, you can see the DVD light work normally. *This was just a poor
> >> design...you are never able to see the DVD lights work on this
> >> machine,unless you have the front panel off.

> >> I'm going to have Dell fix the HD LED, since it doesn't look like I
> >> can get it out of it's mount. *If they'd send me the whole assembly,
> >> I'll do it.

> > An update...the Dell contractor finally came out yesterday equipped
> > with an entire front panel (wrong color, white instead of black) and
> > the hard drive activity light. *All I needed was the light. *But, once
> > installed, the light still didn't work. *The tech called back in, and
> > they are now sending out a new power supply to try. *Go figure. *I
> > think this is going to be a remove and replace until it works repair
> > job.

> Tech installed new power supply. *Hard drive activity light still won't
> work. *Neither he nor I thought it would, but Dell seemed confident when
> they dispatched the thing. *I said that's enough (don't want to next try
> a refurbished mother board).
>
> I'm curious though, does the light get it's signal from the mother board,
> or from the hard drive to the mother board and back to the light?

M/B to light. On my old 4550 I could never see it working unless the
room was dark and I was inches away!

Boris

Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Oct 5, 7:48*pm, Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> innews:Xns9F71594F7EC1Bnospamnospamin

> valid@88.198.244.100:
>>

>> > Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> >news:Xns9F64B4107153Anospamnospaminvalid@46.4.102 .18:

> ,

>> > An update...the Dell contractor finally came out yesterday equipped
>> > with an entire front panel (wrong color, white instead of black)
>> > and the hard drive activity light. *All I needed was the light.
>> > *But, o

> nce
>> > installed, the light still didn't work. *The tech called back in,
>> > and they are now sending out a new power supply to try. *Go figure.
>> > *I think this is going to be a remove and replace until it works
>> > repair job.

>> Tech installed new power supply. *Hard drive activity light still
>> won't work. *Neither he nor I thought it would, but Dell seemed
>> confident whe

>> they dispatched the thing. *I said that's enough (don't want to next
>> tr

>> a refurbished mother board).
>>
>> I'm curious though, does the light get it's signal from the mother
>> board, or from the hard drive to the mother board and back to the
>> light?

> M/B to light. On my old 4550 I could never see it working unless the
> room was dark and I was inches away!

Thanks, Bob.

Well, I did try a new SATA cable, and no luck. Funny, though, Dell
called me and told me they were sending out a new MB, I said I told the
tech I dind't want to do that, as it may just cause more problems than
it's worth, and we could just close the ticket. He said he understood,
and they would 'research' the problem and get back to me. I said fine,
but as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with it.

This new 8100 is what I bought to replace my 4550 workhorse, which has
been, and still is, working fine since I plugged it in in March 2003.
It's been running 24x7 ever since, but there's new software that won't
run, or runs slowly on it, that I want to use. I hate to relegate my
4550 to non-use...I've put it off for over a year (I bought the 8100 a
year ago, and am just now setting it up).