Suggestions for replacing old motherboard?

Gary

I'm looking for a replacement for a faulty motherboard, but have no
wish/finances to upgrade at the moment.
A direct replacement (for the old ASUS A7V600) isn't possible except for
refurbished models which I'd prefer to avoid.

Processor is an Athlon XP2500+ and five PCI slots are required.

Any suggestions are welcome, note it doesn't have to be a ABIT (or ASUS)
motherboard.

Regards,
Gary

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gjic2p$q33$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a replacement for a faulty motherboard, but have no
> wish/finances to upgrade at the moment.
> A direct replacement (for the old ASUS A7V600) isn't possible except for
> refurbished models which I'd prefer to avoid.
>
> Processor is an Athlon XP2500+ and five PCI slots are required.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome, note it doesn't have to be a ABIT (or ASUS)
> motherboard.
>
> Regards,
> Gary

Gary, I'll be watching this thread, because I'm not aware of any
current desktop motherboards that have 5 PCI slots.

Just out of curiosity, what cards are installed in this system?

Kent_Diego

> I'm looking for a replacement for a faulty motherboard, but have no
> wish/finances to upgrade at the moment.
> A direct replacement (for the old ASUS A7V600) isn't possible except for
> refurbished models which I'd prefer to avoid.
>
> Processor is an Athlon XP2500+ and five PCI slots are required.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome, note it doesn't have to be a ABIT (or ASUS)
> motherboard.
> ..

Keep looking on Craig's List until something used comes up. Maybe you can
get a replacement for $10 or free.

Eeyore

Gary wrote:

> I'm looking for a replacement for a faulty motherboard, but have no
> wish/finances to upgrade at the moment.
> A direct replacement (for the old ASUS A7V600) isn't possible except for
> refurbished models which I'd prefer to avoid.
>
> Processor is an Athlon XP2500+ and five PCI slots are required.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome, note it doesn't have to be a ABIT (or ASUS)
> motherboard.

Not 100% sure - depends on the stepping etc of your CPU and CPU bus speed
but a KT7A might just run it. It certainly runs an XP2400+ and ought to run
the 2600+ with the larger cache.

Graham

Gary

Thanks for the replies. The PC in question belongs to a friend of mine who
lives in Serbia and she's since bought a used one which will hopefully do
the job.

For those who were wondering, the cards she has are:
1. Video card
2. Audio card
3. WinTv card
4. Skystar 2 card
5. Firewire

As someone still using a 5 PCI motherboard with a similar range of cards,
this is also a reason why I haven't bothered to upgrade for a while.
Obviously Firewire connectivity is the easiest to take care of in her list,
but the rest would require pointless expenditure, just to duplicate what she
already has.

Regards,
Gary

Wes Newell

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:59:37 +0000, Gary wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. The PC in question belongs to a friend of mine
> who lives in Serbia and she's since bought a used one which will
> hopefully do the job.
>
> For those who were wondering, the cards she has are:
> 1. Video card
> 2. Audio card
> 3. WinTv card
> 4. Skystar 2 card
> 5. Firewire
>
> As someone still using a 5 PCI motherboard with a similar range of
> cards, this is also a reason why I haven't bothered to upgrade for a
> while. Obviously Firewire connectivity is the easiest to take care of in
> her list, but the rest would require pointless expenditure, just to
> duplicate what she already has.

Well, the video, audio, and firewire can all be integrated into the new
MB, thus leaving her with only the need for 2 PCI slots. Most, if not all,
current new MB's have at least 2 PCI slots along with at least 2 PCIe
slots.

Gary

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gjoe0k$q29$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:59:37 +0000, Gary wrote:

> Well, the video, audio, and firewire can all be integrated into the new
> MB, thus leaving her with only the need for 2 PCI slots.

Ick! That's okay for most users, but some of us need much higher quality
audio cards than the basic integral types. Likewise with integral video. The
only acceptable thing from that list would be firewire, until the spec. of
that changes again, when you'd need a new motherboard...

Wes Newell

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:20:00 +0000, Gary wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gjoe0k$q29$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:59:37 +0000, Gary wrote:

>> Well, the video, audio, and firewire can all be integrated into the new
>> MB, thus leaving her with only the need for 2 PCI slots.

> Ick! That's okay for most users, but some of us need much higher quality
> audio cards than the basic integral types. Likewise with integral video.
> The only acceptable thing from that list would be firewire, until the
> spec. of that changes again, when you'd need a new motherboard...

I'm not into sound much but many have HD audio that supports both analog,
digital, spdif, and optical audio. As for video, if she's using a PCI video
card now, I'm pretty sure the newer integrated video would be just as good
if not better. And there's always the newer PCIe slot for newer much more
powerful cards. Personally I use the onboard video with no problems at
all. And I watch HDTV from all of them, which is all I care about.

Eeyore

Gary wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. The PC in question belongs to a friend of mine who
> lives in Serbia and she's since bought a used one which will hopefully do
> the job.
>
> For those who were wondering, the cards she has are:
> 1. Video card
> 2. Audio card
> 3. WinTv card
> 4. Skystar 2 card
> 5. Firewire
>
> As someone still using a 5 PCI motherboard with a similar range of cards,
> this is also a reason why I haven't bothered to upgrade for a while.
> Obviously Firewire connectivity is the easiest to take care of in her list,
> but the rest would require pointless expenditure, just to duplicate what she
> already has.

PCI video ! ?

Graham

Gary

> PCI video ! ?

Um, I think that's actually a high-end MPEG video encoding card, but I may
be wrong...

Replacing old dead board. recap Asus 0 05-27-2012 12:57 AM
suggestions for replacing DVD+-RW in Precision Giovanni Azua Dell 12 01-18-2009 03:11 PM
Suggestions for replacing old ASUS motherboard? Gary Asus 1 01-01-2009 07:06 PM
Replacing hard drive on old Sony Vaio tim@nocomment.com Laptops 2 08-07-2007 03:33 AM
Issue replacing the hard drive of a 6 years old Mitac laptop... Vicne Laptops 2 09-18-2003 07:10 AM