Sun may have Solaris for Itanium already ready

Yousuf Khan

Rich Teer

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...027123749.html

That's old news; Solaris was one of the first OSes to be ported
to Itanic, a couple of years ago.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Yousuf Khan

"Rich Teer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...027123749.html

> That's old news; Solaris was one of the first OSes to be ported
> to Itanic, a couple of years ago.

It was one of the first OSes to be cancelled for Itanic a couple of years
ago! Sun and Intel had a "spat", and Sun cancelled Solaris, complaining
Intel wasn't giving them enough help. It looks like Sun continued to develop
it without Intel's help.

Yousuf Khan

Alan Coopersmith

"Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed) > writes in comp.unix.solaris:
|http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...027123749.html

Wow. That's a very clueless report. Solaris for Itanium was incredibly
public years ago, along with the reasons it was cancelled. A google
search could give you better information than that.

Alan Coopersmith (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: (E-Mail Removed)

Yousuf Khan

"Alan Coopersmith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnk8ld$2dr6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed) > writes in

comp.unix.solaris:
> |http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...027123749.html
>
> Wow. That's a very clueless report. Solaris for Itanium was incredibly
> public years ago, along with the reasons it was cancelled. A google
> search could give you better information than that.

I think what they are trying to say is that they completed the port two
years ago, despite cancelling it.

Yousuf Khan

Rob Stow

Rich Teer wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>

>>http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...027123749.html

> That's old news; Solaris was one of the first OSes to be ported
> to Itanic, a couple of years ago.

I'm sure that in hindsight Sun wishes it had never spent a dime
on that project. Even if Sun and Intel weren't fighting over
patent/licensing issues, Sun surely would have wished to avoid
spending so much money developing for a processor that so far
seems destined to never acquire any significant market share.

Itanic is a dead horse that Intel and HP continue to flog -
everyone else seems to be putting their whips away.

Nate Edel

In comp.arch Rob Stow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Itanic is a dead horse that Intel and HP continue to flog -
> everyone else seems to be putting their whips away.

Nah, it's reasonably successful as "the latest version of PA-RISC," and
seems to be successful as far as it goes in that role.

Of course, it still hasn't replaced HPaq's Alpha machines, but I suspect
that if they can get VMS/Itanic stable, it will successfully replace the
Alphas (at least in that role... is anyone still buying them as Unix
machines, or have they already killed them for that?)

--
Nate Edel http://www.nkedel.com/

"But Marge! I've never felt so accepted in my life. These people looked deep
into my soul and assigned me a number based on the order in which I joined."

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=

Yousuf Khan wrote:
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...027123749.html

Big deal. Intanium sales are nil, and people are realizing that they can
get better functionality for far less the price of a Sun, from a Linux
box build from off the shelf hardware.

--
vh, Peter Perlsų - tel: +45 5192 3981 - web: http://u238.dk

Deperdit Numerus.

Phillip Fayers

In article <jBhnb.96157$(E-Mail Removed) ogers.com>,
Yousuf Khan wrote:
>"Rich Teer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Yousuf Khan wrote:

>> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...027123749.html

>> That's old news; Solaris was one of the first OSes to be ported
>> to Itanic, a couple of years ago.

>It was one of the first OSes to be cancelled for Itanic a couple of years
>ago! Sun and Intel had a "spat", and Sun cancelled Solaris, complaining
>Intel wasn't giving them enough help. It looks like Sun continued to develop
>it without Intel's help.

Sun have probably "continued to develop it" in the sense that most of
the current Solaris development work can easily be applied to the Itanium
code tree. The amount of platform dependant code in Solaris is quite small
so you could probably argue that they also "continue to develop" the Power
PC version of Solaris they had some years ago.

--
Phillip Fayers School of Physics & Astronomy, Cardiff University (*).
[ (*) - the official trading name of the University of Wales, Cardiff. ]

Greg Menke

Peter Perlsų <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...027123749.html
> >

> Big deal. Intanium sales are nil, and people are realizing that they
> can get better functionality for far less the price of a Sun, from a
> Linux box build from off the shelf hardware.

Theres more to functionality than plopping down minimum
dollars/gigabyte of fileserver. No doubt Linux makes for a cheaper
and sometimes faster fileserver than Sun does- but price is not the
only metric.

Gregm