Sun T2000 and 3rd Party Memory

Donn Coe

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade the memory in several of my T2000 servers. Has
anyone had experiences (positive or negative) with using 3rd party
memory in T2000s? The prices on the Crucial 4GB DIMMs are very
attractive compared to Sun. But am I likely to hit any compatibility
issues? I would have 8 1GB DIMMs (from Sun) in one bank and 8 4GB
DIMMS (from Crucial) in the other bank.

This is the Crucial part number for a single 4GB DIMM:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...01B17AA5CA7304

Thanks,
Donn

Michael Laajanen

Hi,

Donn Coe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to upgrade the memory in several of my T2000 servers. Has
> anyone had experiences (positive or negative) with using 3rd party
> memory in T2000s? The prices on the Crucial 4GB DIMMs are very
> attractive compared to Sun. But am I likely to hit any compatibility
> issues? I would have 8 1GB DIMMs (from Sun) in one bank and 8 4GB
> DIMMS (from Crucial) in the other bank.
>
> This is the Crucial part number for a single 4GB DIMM:
> http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...01B17AA5CA7304
>
> Thanks,
> Donn

Aside from not knowing about T2000, Crucial is a premium memory supplier
made by Micron memories and Sun use them to!

So I would not hesitate to use Crucial except for one reason, if you
wanna mix Sun and Crucial(or any other vendor like DATARAM) in the same
bank it will not work as a Sun memory with respect to interleave factor.

But if you only place the same memories on the same bank you should be
avoid this.

/michael