Sunblade 2000 CPU torque driver

Huge

Anyone got one they'd be prepared to lend/sell me? It's missing from my machine.

I'm in the UK.

--
I can't sing, I ain't good looking and my legs are thin.
[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

DoN. Nichols

On 2008-12-08, Huge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone got one they'd be prepared to lend/sell me? It's missing from my machine.
>
> I'm in the UK.

Oh -- I just posted advising that you remove and re-install the
CPUs in your SB-2K to (possibly) deal with your power-up problem.

Avoid the wire loop type of torque drivers, as it is not as
reliable.

If you can't find the Sun one locally, consider getting one of
the Utica torque drivers and setting it to 5 inch-pounds. You'll need
one of the Robertson (square) driver bits to fit the screws.

If you get the TS-100 torque screwdriver (black anodized), since
it reads in inch-ounces (or ounce-inches as you prefer), set it to 80 to
get your 5 inch-pounds.

If you get the TS-30 torque screwdriver (red anodized), set it
to one division below the bottom of the scale (since it has a nominal
range of 6-30 inch-lbs (or lb-in as Utica seems to prefer.)

Both sizes use 1/4" (6.35mm) hex screwdriver bits.

BTW Are you sure that you don't have one at all? I know that Sun
stopped shipping the screwdrivers with the later SB-2K machines,
but the SB-1k and earlier SB-2k machines have them hidden in
different places.

When Sun stopped supplying them with the systems, they started
including one with each new CPU module sold -- so if you can find
someplace which has upgraded older systems, they may have several
spares.

For the old style (the wire loop), look for a green plastic
piece with the Sun logo between the two internal disk drive slots. If
you find that, pull it out and you will find a bent piece of
chrome-plated steel wire clipped into the underside. This is the
earlier torque screwdriver, and it supposedly reaches full required
torque just as the two ends of the loop touch while applying force to
the middle of the arm sticking out.

For the old style, look in the section of the chassis where the
DVD-ROM drive, the (possible) floppy drive, and the (possible) smart
card reader are mounted. It is a dayglo green to match the ring around
the holes in the CPU jackscrew knobs. There is a cradle into which it
slips which is the same green.

Try an eBay search with the string "Utica torque screwdriver*".

I find several of the TS-30 units, asking $95.00 (USD) each with
the first to close being 270301058039. Apparently, all of these are the
same vendor.

Also, there is the TS-100, at a more reasonable $50.00 (USD) in
auction #230312631474. It looks like a very nice deal -- especially
compared with finding the prices from commercial dealers. (I never paid
news price for any of mine.)

There is a TS-35 blue anodized handle -- but I don't know the
range of that, so I can't suggest it. Besides, it is at the same $95.00
(USD) as the TS-30s, so there is no benefit to getting the TS-35.

O.K. There is another TS-35 which *does* list the range, and
you would use it at the same 1 division below the bottom of the scale
(6 in-lbs). And it is being offered for a starting bid of $35.99.

Be careful to not stray form the models shown, because some of
them being offered are preset to a single torque, and the odds are that
it would be a wrong torque.

Hmm ... what does *Sun* ask for the torque wrench?

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564