Sunfire x4240 Which operating system

Allen L.

I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system. I'd like to use
these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

Cydrome Leader

Allen L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system. I'd like to use
> these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
> operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

I'd suggest novell netware, or banyan vines.

Adl

On May 17, 2:21*pm, Cydrome Leader <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Allen L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system. I'd like to use
> > these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
> > operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

> I'd suggest novell netware, or banyan vines.

Why not pdp-11. It's solid. I would like a serious suggestion.

John D Groenveld

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Allen L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system.

Do you have the systems under support contracts?

>I'd like to use
>these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
>operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

I've not read a comparison review of the different offerings.

Do you need to run multiple OSs?

John
(E-Mail Removed)

Adl

On May 17, 5:34*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (John D Groenveld) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>,
>
> Allen L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system.

> Do you have the systems under support contracts?
>
> >I'd like to use
> >these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
> >operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

> I've not read a comparison review of the different offerings.
>
> Do you need to run multiple OSs?
>
> John
> (E-Mail Removed)

Yes, I'd like to run multiple operating systems. The system is under
contract, but when it was purchased we were provided with an operating
system that does not run on this system. So, I'm trying to work that
out, while continue to look at other options, including opensource.

John D Groenveld

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Adl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Yes, I'd like to run multiple operating systems. The system is under
>contract, but when it was purchased we were provided with an operating
>system that does not run on this system. So, I'm trying to work that
>out, while continue to look at other options, including opensource.

I run Windows and SUSE as VirtualBox guests running inside
Solaris 11 Express zones.
<URL:http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/>
<URL:http://www.virtualbox.org/>

John
(E-Mail Removed)

Michael

Hi,

On 05/18/11 12:01 AM, Adl wrote:
> On May 17, 2:21 pm, Cydrome Leader<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Allen L.<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system. I'd like to use
>>> these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
>>> operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

>> I'd suggest novell netware, or banyan vines.

> Why not pdp-11. It's solid. I would like a serious suggestion.

PDP-11 is not an operating system its a computer architecture.

/michael

Cydrome Leader

Adl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 17, 5:34?pm, (E-Mail Removed) (John D Groenveld) wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> Allen L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I have two Sunfire x4240 with no operating system.

>> Do you have the systems under support contracts?
>>
>> >I'd like to use
>> >these systems with virtualization software. What would be the best
>> >operating system, virtual server software for this hardware?

>> I've not read a comparison review of the different offerings.
>>
>> Do you need to run multiple OSs?
>>
>> John
>> (E-Mail Removed)

> Yes, I'd like to run multiple operating systems. The system is under
> contract, but when it was purchased we were provided with an operating
> system that does not run on this system. So, I'm trying to work that
> out, while continue to look at other options, including opensource.

for a real answer, I'd take a look at VMware virtual sphere 4 or whatever
the hell ESX is now called.

It's not cheap, but it works well. I actually bought licenses for it for
my own use, as it's cheaper than colocation space for dozens of idle
servers. Check the VMware HCL before even thinking about buying it, or
trying it on your hardware.

It runs on the hardware itself, so there's no other OS to get in the way
of your virtual machines. Your uptime can be in years if you don't patch.

There is "free" stuff like xen or whatever, but that it's a joke, and as I
recall you can't mix and match guest OSes with it.

If you want to install BeOS or something just as silly in vmware, you can
do it, no problem.