Supermicro H8DCE - Mixed Processors - System Halted

Christopher Kurtis Koeber

Hello!

The system I have built using a SuperMicro H8DCE motherboard was working
great for about three-four weeks after I installed two AMD Opteron - Italy
275 CPUs. Yesterday, however, the system randomly rebooted and ever since
then I get a message saying I have mixed processors installed in my system
and that the system is halted.

I have verified that both processers are exactly the same stepping and all
of the memory installed in the system is recommended and identical.

What else must be done to restor my system to normal operation?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Christopher Koeber

General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:28:27 +0000, Christopher Kurtis Koeber wrote:

> Hello!
>
> The system I have built using a SuperMicro H8DCE motherboard was working
> great for about three-four weeks after I installed two AMD Opteron -
> Italy 275 CPUs. Yesterday, however, the system randomly rebooted and
> ever since then I get a message saying I have mixed processors installed
> in my system and that the system is halted.
>
> I have verified that both processers are exactly the same stepping and
> all of the memory installed in the system is recommended and identical.
>
> What else must be done to restor my system to normal operation?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Christopher Koeber

Try clearing the CMOS memory and then setting the BIOS to it's defaults.

Christopher Kurtis Koeber

Thanks, will give that a shot.
Regards,
Christopher Koeber

"General Schvantzkoph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:28:27 +0000, Christopher Kurtis Koeber wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> The system I have built using a SuperMicro H8DCE motherboard was working
>> great for about three-four weeks after I installed two AMD Opteron -
>> Italy 275 CPUs. Yesterday, however, the system randomly rebooted and
>> ever since then I get a message saying I have mixed processors installed
>> in my system and that the system is halted.
>>
>> I have verified that both processers are exactly the same stepping and
>> all of the memory installed in the system is recommended and identical.
>>
>> What else must be done to restor my system to normal operation?
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christopher Koeber

> Try clearing the CMOS memory and then setting the BIOS to it's defaults.

Christopher Kurtis Koeber

I reset the motherboard's settings by taking the CMOS battery out and
putting it back in which allows me to boot up fine once but after restarting
I get the same message again. Thanks for the help...
Regards,
Christopher Koeber

"General Schvantzkoph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:28:27 +0000, Christopher Kurtis Koeber wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> The system I have built using a SuperMicro H8DCE motherboard was working
>> great for about three-four weeks after I installed two AMD Opteron -
>> Italy 275 CPUs. Yesterday, however, the system randomly rebooted and
>> ever since then I get a message saying I have mixed processors installed
>> in my system and that the system is halted.
>>
>> I have verified that both processers are exactly the same stepping and
>> all of the memory installed in the system is recommended and identical.
>>
>> What else must be done to restor my system to normal operation?
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christopher Koeber

> Try clearing the CMOS memory and then setting the BIOS to it's defaults.

Christopher Kurtis Koeber

I completely cleared the CMOS because it asked me for the Date and Time and
said that the default settings were applied.
Regards,
Christopher Koeber

"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Q5GPh.17573$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Christopher Kurtis Koeber wrote:
>> I reset the motherboard's settings by taking the CMOS battery out and
>> putting it back in which allows me to boot up fine once but after
>> restarting I get the same message again. Thanks for the help...
>> Regards,
>> Christopher Koeber

> Did you really clear the CMOS or just remove the battery for a bit? Some
> motherboards require more than that to clear the CMOS. If you don't know,
> do you have a manual for the motherboard?
>
> Good luck,
>
> Jonathan

Jonathan Roberts

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:10:24 +0000, Christopher Kurtis Koeber wrote:

> I reset the motherboard's settings by taking the CMOS battery out and
> putting it back in which allows me to boot up fine once but after
> restarting I get the same message again. Thanks for the help... Regards,
> Christopher Koeber
>
> "General Schvantzkoph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:28:27 +0000, Christopher Kurtis Koeber wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> The system I have built using a SuperMicro H8DCE motherboard was
>>> working great for about three-four weeks after I installed two AMD
>>> Opteron - Italy 275 CPUs. Yesterday, however, the system randomly
>>> rebooted and ever since then I get a message saying I have mixed
>>> processors installed in my system and that the system is halted.
>>>
>>> I have verified that both processers are exactly the same stepping and
>>> all of the memory installed in the system is recommended and
>>> identical.
>>>
>>> What else must be done to restor my system to normal operation?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your time.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Christopher Koeber

>> Try clearing the CMOS memory and then setting the BIOS to it's
>> defaults.

Is your BIOS at the latest rev? If it isn't then the next thing to do
would be to update the BIOS. If that doesn't work then you should RMA the
board.

Christopher Kurtis Koeber

Well I did update the BIOS but the issue persists so I will RMA the board.
Thank you for all of your help. I will keep you posted.
Regards,
Christopher Koeber
"General Schvantzkoph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:10:24 +0000, Christopher Kurtis Koeber wrote:
>
>> I reset the motherboard's settings by taking the CMOS battery out and
>> putting it back in which allows me to boot up fine once but after
>> restarting I get the same message again. Thanks for the help... Regards,
>> Christopher Koeber
>>
>> "General Schvantzkoph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Try clearing the CMOS memory and then setting the BIOS to it's
>>> defaults.

> Is your BIOS at the latest rev? If it isn't then the next thing to do
> would be to update the BIOS. If that doesn't work then you should RMA the
> board.

Mixed system: MobileMe & Outlook for Windows Per Rønne Apple 3 03-28-2011 06:12 AM
New system with supermicro X7DBE-0 motherboard often wont show biosscreen or boot up markm75 Supermicro 1 01-07-2008 09:17 PM
Boot Failure System Halted Monica Dell 1 12-08-2005 12:07 AM
Booting halted after installing USB card toronado455 Apple 2 07-11-2004 09:28 PM
Gamecube production halted! Radeon350 ATI 48 08-13-2003 11:35 PM