Supermicro X8ST3-F boot SAS with SATA RAID

Junior Member

The X8ST3-F has an onboard SAS and SATA controller. I want to install and boot Windows 7 on a SAS drive while using the SATA controller for RAID 5 storage. Can anyone confirm this can be done before I purchase the board.

I tried this with a ASUS P6T7 Supercomputer Motherboard and after a month of fustration the best I could do was to Boot SAS with no RAID on SATA. When RAID was enabled with boot from SAS, the system just hung after post,. Eventually found out it can not be done. So before I waste another $350.00, I need to verify the X8ST3-F can be booted. Thanks in advance