Suspend/hibernate problem: "Insufficient system resources to complete the API"

Jonathan Sachs

I have a Toshiba Portege M200, and a few weeks ago I began getting the
message "Insufficient system resources to complete the API" when I try
to make the system hibernate. It doesn't happen all the time; the
first attempt after a reboot is rarely fails, the second usually
fails, and the third almost always fails.

When I try to suspend, the results are even worse. The system APPEARS
to suspend, but I get the error when I try to wake it up again. Then
there appears to be no way to make the error box close, to unlock the
computer, or to restart in an orderly way. The only way out is to do
a hard power-off and restart.

I have run a full scan of the disk with AVG free edition. It assures
me that the system is clean.

Any ideas what is wrong, and how to fix it?

TomK

This is probably it => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095

Had the same issue.

Tom

"Jonathan Sachs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Toshiba Portege M200, and a few weeks ago I began getting the
> message "Insufficient system resources to complete the API" when I try
> to make the system hibernate. It doesn't happen all the time; the
> first attempt after a reboot is rarely fails, the second usually
> fails, and the third almost always fails.
>
> When I try to suspend, the results are even worse. The system APPEARS
> to suspend, but I get the error when I try to wake it up again. Then
> there appears to be no way to make the error box close, to unlock the
> computer, or to restart in an orderly way. The only way out is to do
> a hard power-off and restart.
>
> I have run a full scan of the disk with AVG free edition. It assures
> me that the system is clean.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong, and how to fix it?

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> Jonathan Sachs <<

Curosity question: Is this the same Jonathan Sachs who wrote the
world's best PocketPC utility? (StopTime)

If so, thanks again!

Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

Rainald Taesler

Juan I. Cahis wrote:

> I understand that this is a WinXP problem that it appears when the
> computer has *more* than one GB of memory. There was a sort of
> "unofficial patch" for this problem from Microsoft, but you should
> call them by phone in order to get it.
>
> The solution? If your computer has more than one GB of main memory,
> reduce it to one GB or less.
>
> Absurd, isn't it? But it worked for me!!!!!!

No. This would not be a solution!!
I have had my tc1100 under XP with 1.5GB RAM.
No problems.

Rainald

Jonathan Sachs

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:33:29 -0600, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

No, not the same. There at least three people named Jonathan Sac[hk]s
in the computer field: the original author of Lotus 1-2-3, a guy who
works for Microsoft, and me.

In the 1980's I wrote three popular computer books for Osborne-McGraw
Hill (one of which actually was popular). Since then I've been
knocking around doing programming and technical writing.

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Thanks for the response... not sure which one he is, but

http://home.comcast.net/~jonsachs/#StopTime%202.0

If you have a winmobile pocketpc, all of his apps are great.

Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

NewCx

On Nov 7, 12:35*pm, Jonathan Sachs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Portege M200, and a few weeks ago I began getting the
> message "Insufficient system resources to complete the API" when I try
> to make the system hibernate. *It doesn't happen all the time; the
> first attempt after a reboot is rarely fails, the second usually
> fails, and the third almost always fails.
>
> When I try to suspend, the results are even worse. *The system APPEARS
> to suspend, but I get the error when I try to wake it up again. *Then
> there appears to be no way to make the error box close, to unlock the
> computer, or to restart in an orderly way. *The only way out is to do
> a hard power-off and restart.
>
> I have run a full scan of the disk with AVG free edition. *It assures
> me that the system is clean.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong, and how to fix it?

Jonathan,

I had this problem on my Acer when the free space on my hard drive was
less than the amount of RAM in the system. You need at least enough
free space to store the Hyberfile.sys file, which will be the same
size as the amount of system memory. Windows does not compress this
data, so as system RAM gets bigger, using that last few gigs of the
hard disk gets harder.

In my case I never wanted to use hibernate, but Acer's power control
sets it up and won't let the user turn it off. This means that for me
there was always a 2 GB Hyberfile.sys in the C: root. I came up with
this XP command:

powercfg.exe /H Off

and put it in a batch file that I call from the Startup group in the
Start Menu. This turns hibernate off on every restart and deletes the
2GB file from the root.

Rainald Taesler

NewCx wrote:

> In my case I never wanted to use hibernate, but Acer's power control
> sets it up and won't let the user turn it off. This means that for
> me there was always a 2 GB Hyberfile.sys in the C: root. I came up
> with this XP command:
>
> powercfg.exe /H Off
>
> and put it in a batch file that I call from the Startup group in the
> Start Menu. This turns hibernate off on every restart and deletes
> the 2GB file from the root.

So you really killed one of the most important features the OS provides
for portable computers (and most useful for desktops too).

Rainald
(who's shaking his old head because of wondering <g>)

Jonathan Sachs

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 01:43:47 +0100, "Rainald Taesler" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> If your computer has more than one GB of main memory, reduce it to one GB or less.
>> Absurd, isn't it? But it worked for me!!!!!!

>No. This would not be a solution!!
>I have had my tc1100 under XP with 1.5GB RAM.
>No problems.

Just because the problem does not affect every computer with more than
1 GB RAM, does not mean it does not affect some.

In this case I believe Juan identified the problem correctly, although
his solution seems extreme. I was referred privately to a Microsoft
update described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095, which
appears to have fixed the problem. After I applied it I lost my
wireless connection when I reactivated the computer, and had to
restart, but that only happened once, and may not be related at all.

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it! <<

Time to stop apologizing... tis better than most Americans.

Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]