Swapping harddrives on a t40

Phillip

I have a t40 and want to get a new larger harddrive. I would like to copy
the recovery partition to the new hard drive. What would be the best way of
doing this? I would perfer not to buy the recovery cds as I have the partion
already and should just be able to copy it somehow...

Thanks
Phil

Tom Rutherford

"Phillip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:21eql.26184$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a t40 and want to get a new larger harddrive. I would like to copy
> the recovery partition to the new hard drive. What would be the best way

of
> doing this? I would perfer not to buy the recovery cds as I have the

partion
> already and should just be able to copy it somehow...
>
> Thanks

I just recently did this with my R51 series. I used Acronis True Image.
The 2nd HD Adapter I bought along with the drive came with an Apricorn
package that purported to do the same thing. Only problem was that the
Apricorn software was on a floppy, and I don't have a floppy drive for the
laptop yet. The license agreement forbade me from copying the software,
else I would have copied it either to a jump drive or a CD, but in looking
at the disc, I couldn't find anything executable to copy, anyway. I just
remembered that I'd downloaded a free copy of True Image 7 a while back, but
had never used it. So, I installed it on the old drive, popped the new
drive into the adapter, popped out the CD-ROM drive and put the adapter in
its place. I then told the software to clone the old drive onto the new
one. It did. While I was in the program, I was able to resize, move, and
otherwise manipulate the partitions so that I now have space on the drive
for Linux, once I finally figure out how I want to put it on there. And,
the hidden partition still works. :-)

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)