Switched off but battery losing voltage (NEW computer)

BRIAN HILL

:retard: I recently bought an MX3311b Notebook, see signature for
spec.

I only use it at week ends, and it needs to be charged every time I
first open it up (Friday evenings) despite being left fully charged
the previous Sunday evening.

Does any one else have an MX3311b ??
Is this typical behaviour for this Notebook??

Brian aranoid:

BRIAN HILL

Worse, I use the machine over the week-end connected to the mains; I
have a program which shows me the charge state of my battery and after
about 3 hours on charge - from 'empty' it finally shows 100%.

The machine is switched off, then disconnected from the mains each
night; next morning it shows 73 to 74%; At switch off, on Sunday
evening it reads 100% but when next switched 'on', Friday evening, it
won't! I have to connect the charger for a minute or two before it
will switch on.

The battery is an 6-cell lithium-ion, as supplied.

This is actually my wifes laptop; Mine is an Averatec and it holds its
charge for at least 3 weeks - didn't use it during my Xmas holiday and
it switched on showing 93% on my return from holiday.
Brian

Davy

New batteries usually takes two or three recharges before reaching
their full capacity ratings.

So what we are saying basically you charged the batteries say Friday
and after 9 day's they wanted a recharge, obviously I assume you
charged them in accordance with the 'user manual'.

Just curious as to the type of battery that you are using ie. Nicads,
Lithium Ion etc, I 'may' be able to understand the problem if they
were Nicads... but Lithium should last much longer.

Another important factor is their capacity... usually given in mA per
hour (milli Amp).

Davy

Davy

Hi Brian,
If it's new would it not be viable to take it back and get it
checked.... I can't say if this is normal or not, maybe dropping an
Email to Gateway may help.

The bit about charging two or three times before reaching full
capacity does not apply to Lithium Ion see-:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

Think I'd be tempted to drop a post in 'Laptop' section here
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=13

Sorry can't help you further, maybe someone will come along with first
hand experience.

Davy