Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Switching to a Slate?

 
 
Wait
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2003, 06:10 AM
Currently I use a Toshiba 3505 and really like the speed. But when I use it
as a tablet for note taking and the like, the thickness of the device and
the screen glare are real impediments, as is the weight. As a result, I find
myself using it as an ultraportable notebook more than a tablet. It is a
great notebook, but consequently I am missing some of the benefits I wanted
from the tablet.

So, I'm thinking about switching to a slate. I find the NEC intriguing
because of its light weight and the Fujitsu because of its antiglare
feature. I would use the tablet primarily for calendaring, planning, email
and web browsing, mainly in an office conference rooms and at home on a
wireless network, but also in some travel and on airplanes. I don't really
plan to use the machine outside, but I would like something very comfortable
to use as a replacement for a note pad and planner. I'd really appreciate
hearing from experienced slate users as to recommendations and thoughts.

TIA.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
terri
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2003, 12:54 PM
As of right now, only the Motion M1300 offers a slate with Centrino. The
Centrino with the Pentium-M is faster than a Pentium III-M. A 1.6Ghz
Pentium-M is 13% faster than a 2.4 Pentium 4M according to Intel.

--
Terri Stratton
http://thetabletpc.net



"David Cleland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> > Currently I use a Toshiba 3505 and really like the speed. But when I use

> it
> > as a tablet for note taking and the like, the thickness of the device

and
> > the screen glare are real impediments, as is the weight. As a result, I

> find
> > myself using it as an ultraportable notebook more than a tablet. It is a
> > great notebook, but consequently I am missing some of the benefits I

> wanted
> > from the tablet.

>
>
> It looks as if you are at the same crossroads I am I have spent about a
> week looking into this and I keep coming back to my toshiba. According to
> much of the benchmarking being done the tosh does very well, it has sd,

cf,
> bluetooth, wifi, and the bonus of being also a laptop. Although as you say
> heavy to lug around.
>
> If you are like me you will want the power of the tosh in slate mode and
> that is not around yet it seems - there is a new tablet from hp being
> announced soon so I would hang tight. I know that is what I have decided

to
> do
>
> David
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2003, 08:49 PM
I own an compaq TC1000. It's perfect for the office,
conference rooms, notetaking, home on the wireless
network. Seriously, it is a gem.

Unfortunately, it is slow. I'm looking forward to the
next version from Compaq.

I have made several calls to technical support, and each
time they have been extremely helpful. Compared to my
last 12 years of Toshiba's laptop support, I'd buy an
HP/Compaq tablet again, just for that reason.

In summary, wait for the next version of HP/Compaq then
do a reevaluation.

jim


>-----Original Message-----
>Currently I use a Toshiba 3505 and really like the

speed. But when I use it
>as a tablet for note taking and the like, the thickness

of the device and
>the screen glare are real impediments, as is the weight.

As a result, I find
>myself using it as an ultraportable notebook more than a

tablet. It is a
>great notebook, but consequently I am missing some of

the benefits I wanted
>from the tablet.
>
>So, I'm thinking about switching to a slate. I find the

NEC intriguing
>because of its light weight and the Fujitsu because of

its antiglare
>feature. I would use the tablet primarily for

calendaring, planning, email
>and web browsing, mainly in an office conference rooms

and at home on a
>wireless network, but also in some travel and on

airplanes. I don't really
>plan to use the machine outside, but I would like

something very comfortable
>to use as a replacement for a note pad and planner. I'd

really appreciate
>hearing from experienced slate users as to

recommendations and thoughts.
>
>TIA.
>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of switching to an abit board bb Abit 0 12-22-2005 04:17 AM
Switching ON an ATX power supply (when it's not connected to mobo) ? Huang Abit 31 04-22-2004 10:30 PM
<Overclocking> Switching from AMD to INTEL! Wayne Youngman Abit 55 02-04-2004 02:05 AM
No reboot K7S5A without switching off power supply Lutz Fehrle ECS 8 11-02-2003 11:38 PM
P4B266 Not Switching on. Dave Catchpole Asus 2 07-31-2003 12:59 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment