SY-5EHM [ORIGINAL] and K62/500

John Matlock

Hello -

would appreciate any help you can provide -

I have my old SY-5EHM original version mobo installed in my parents' machine -
went to upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6/2-500. I made the required jumper
setting changes as spelled out in Soyo's latest quick install guide for that
mobo, but it still sees the CPU as only a K6/2-400! Is this a BIOS upgrade
issue? I also have 2 PC100 SDRAM DIMMs installed, 1 128mb and a 32mb.

thanks!

JJM

AndyC

John Matlock wrote:
> Hello -
>
> would appreciate any help you can provide -
>
> I have my old SY-5EHM original version mobo installed in my parents'

machine -
> went to upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6/2-500. I made the required

jumper
> setting changes as spelled out in Soyo's latest quick install guide

for that
> mobo, but it still sees the CPU as only a K6/2-400! Is this a BIOS

upgrade
> issue? I also have 2 PC100 SDRAM DIMMs installed, 1 128mb and a

32mb.

> thanks!
>
> JJM

You said you changed the jumpers, but did you set the multiplier via
dip switch SW1? For a 5X multiplier switches 1-2-3 need to be set at
off-on-on.

Andy

JamMail

"John Matlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%DSEd.8021$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hello -
>
> would appreciate any help you can provide -
>
> I have my old SY-5EHM original version mobo installed in my parents' machine -
> went to upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6/2-500. I made the required jumper
> setting changes as spelled out in Soyo's latest quick install guide for that
> mobo, but it still sees the CPU as only a K6/2-400! Is this a BIOS upgrade
> issue? I also have 2 PC100 SDRAM DIMMs installed, 1 128mb and a 32mb.
>
> thanks!
>
> JJM

You havent told us if you are running the bus @66Mhz or 100Mhz, and what your multiplier is...

100Mhz x 5 is what it should be, but 66 x 7.5 will only give you 495Mhz. Upgrading the BIOS should not be done lightly, as it has the potential to hose your system. I only do that with the computer in question plugged into a battery backup, so there is no question that the power wont be removed from the system DURING the Flash.

John Matlock

I fixed the problem - once I figured out which version of the mainboard I was
working with and got the correct quick install guide downloaded, I got the
correct settings for 100mhz x 5 but it still only saw it as a 400mhz. The
ultimate fix was to flash the BIOS to the latest version. Now all is well.