SY-KT600 Memory Problem

hillbrathd@gmail.com

I have had the SY-KT600 Dragon Plus running for a year or more with an
Athlon XP 3200+ and 3 each Kingston KVR400X64C25/512. The problem is
all of a sudden I began to have reboots during Windows XP startup. I
ran Memtest-86 and it identified an endless list of memory problems. I
tested each stick of memory individually with no errors. I can put two
memory sticks in at a time in any of the three slots and no error but
if I install 3 sticks I get an error with Memtest-86. I think that
proves each stick is ok and that each slot is ok. Any suggestions?

Rick Hallman

Well I have good news or bad news depending on how you look at it. I put
together a system last year based on this motherboard. It also had the
3200+ and 1.5GB of ram. I used (3) 512 MB sticks of Corsair value ram so
that should be equivalent to your KVR. I saw exactly the same results using
Memtest on this motherboard. Any 2 sticks in any 2 slots passed all test
but when you added the third stick you would receive an error on the stick
in one particular slot. (I don't remember which slot it was at this time) I
was putting this box together so my son would have desktop computer to use
at college as well as his laptop so I was trying to check out the system
before I handed over to him for school. Well I would consider the Memtest
error you are seeing as a fluke because that computer with 1.5GB was stable
as a rock at factory defaults and my son OC'd it after he took it to school.
I ended up having to get some HD cooling because he was cooking the CPU with
the stock cooler. I'm sorry this doesn't answer your problem but I would
suggest that you look at something other than the memory and only use 2
sticks until you find your problem so you'll know the memory isn't the
culprit.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have had the SY-KT600 Dragon Plus running for a year or more with an
> Athlon XP 3200+ and 3 each Kingston KVR400X64C25/512. The problem is
> all of a sudden I began to have reboots during Windows XP startup. I
> ran Memtest-86 and it identified an endless list of memory problems. I
> tested each stick of memory individually with no errors. I can put two
> memory sticks in at a time in any of the three slots and no error but
> if I install 3 sticks I get an error with Memtest-86. I think that
> proves each stick is ok and that each slot is ok. Any suggestions?

hillbrathd@gmail.com

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure it was a memory or motherboard
problem but maybe I need to pursue a Windows XP Problem (though the
computer is completely stable with 2 memory sticks). With 3 sticks
installed I do get a blue screen for a split second before it reboots.
No time to read the message.

I do appreciate your input.

Rick Hallman wrote:
> Well I have good news or bad news depending on how you look at it. I put
> together a system last year based on this motherboard. It also had the
> 3200+ and 1.5GB of ram. I used (3) 512 MB sticks of Corsair value ram so
> that should be equivalent to your KVR. I saw exactly the same results using
> Memtest on this motherboard. Any 2 sticks in any 2 slots passed all test
> but when you added the third stick you would receive an error on the stick
> in one particular slot. (I don't remember which slot it was at this time) I
> was putting this box together so my son would have desktop computer to use
> at college as well as his laptop so I was trying to check out the system
> before I handed over to him for school. Well I would consider the Memtest
> error you are seeing as a fluke because that computer with 1.5GB was stable
> as a rock at factory defaults and my son OC'd it after he took it to school.
> I ended up having to get some HD cooling because he was cooking the CPU with
> the stock cooler. I'm sorry this doesn't answer your problem but I would
> suggest that you look at something other than the memory and only use 2
> sticks until you find your problem so you'll know the memory isn't the
> culprit.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I have had the SY-KT600 Dragon Plus running for a year or more with an
> > Athlon XP 3200+ and 3 each Kingston KVR400X64C25/512. The problem is
> > all of a sudden I began to have reboots during Windows XP startup. I
> > ran Memtest-86 and it identified an endless list of memory problems. I
> > tested each stick of memory individually with no errors. I can put two
> > memory sticks in at a time in any of the three slots and no error but
> > if I install 3 sticks I get an error with Memtest-86. I think that
> > proves each stick is ok and that each slot is ok. Any suggestions?

admin

According to Soyo tech support, the SY-KT600 only supports two stick of RAM
at any speed above PC2100.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have had the SY-KT600 Dragon Plus running for a year or more with an
> Athlon XP 3200+ and 3 each Kingston KVR400X64C25/512. The problem is
> all of a sudden I began to have reboots during Windows XP startup. I
> ran Memtest-86 and it identified an endless list of memory problems. I
> tested each stick of memory individually with no errors. I can put two
> memory sticks in at a time in any of the three slots and no error but
> if I install 3 sticks I get an error with Memtest-86. I think that
> proves each stick is ok and that each slot is ok. Any suggestions?

Rick Hallman

If you read this page from SOYO support it does not say that only 2 slots
can be utilized on the KT600 Plus with PC3200 memory.
http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=73 . That designation is only for
the KT400 and KT333 Dragon Plus. The SY-KT600 Plus should support (3) 1GB
sticks of PC 2100 memory or (3) 512MB sticks of PC2700 or PC3200 according
http://www.soyousa.com/products/prod...e5fe0545b696f3.
If you have some other source for this information please advise.

news:QYQDg.59708$(E-Mail Removed). ..