SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0 doesn't boot

trumby

A couple months back I bought a SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
mobo from newegg cause of the rebate (which I cam still waiting for).
I've built a few systems before so I don't consider myself a newbee. I
get power but it doesn't boot. I get no video or beeps. I've replaced
the cpu and get the same result. Is there something else I should try
before I get an rma?

f/f george

I would remove EVERYTHING that you added to the board, including the
CPU, and start over rom scratch. That way you have given it every
chance to be you, if it still doesn't work then RMA it.

On 17 Nov 2004 18:40:06 -0800, "trumby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A couple months back I bought a SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
>mobo from newegg cause of the rebate (which I cam still waiting for).
>I've built a few systems before so I don't consider myself a newbee. I
>get power but it doesn't boot. I get no video or beeps. I've replaced
>the cpu and get the same result. Is there something else I should try
>before I get an rma?

wayneP

tumby,

Did you apply the latest Soyo BIOS update before trying to boot?

There is a known problem with the i865 boards and Intel CPUs using C0
stepping. I don't remember all the details but they may be discussed on the
SOYO, Intel or MS sites. Also, I don't know how you determine if your
processor uses C0 stepping. I do know that the problem only happens with
Prescott core processors and I know that all Celeron D and some early P4
processors use C0 stepping.

Wayne

"trumby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> A couple months back I bought a SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> mobo from newegg cause of the rebate (which I cam still waiting for).
> I've built a few systems before so I don't consider myself a newbee. I
> get power but it doesn't boot. I get no video or beeps. I've replaced
> the cpu and get the same result. Is there something else I should try
> before I get an rma?

Jim B.

"trumby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) roups.com>...

Your post leads to a few questions, first you say you bought the board
a few months ago. Did you have it working or are you now just putting
it together?
Assuming it's a new build do you have the proper power supply
(ATX12V)with both motherboard power connectors plugged in? You say
your getting power but power to what? If you don't have both power
connectors plugged in you could get fans running and even hear the
hard drives spin up but without the small four pin connector plugged
in it wouldn't have the power for the video card or cpu.

You should also post all the parts your trying to use in this system
and how you have them connected.

> A couple months back I bought a SOYO SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> mobo from newegg cause of the rebate (which I cam still waiting for).
> I've built a few systems before so I don't consider myself a newbee. I
> get power but it doesn't boot. I get no video or beeps. I've replaced
> the cpu and get the same result. Is there something else I should try
> before I get an rma?

trumby

I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
clearing the bios.

The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.

GoldyGopher

"trumby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>...
> I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
> I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
> clearing the bios.
>
> The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
> on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
> Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.

This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
3.2gig Prescott CPU
1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)

I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
Any suggestions?

wayneP

I don't have access to this whole thread; so I'm not sure if you set the
time in BIOS. As soon as you power up go into the BIOS setup and set
the time, at least, and then it should power up.

I had the same situation as you have. I had the board sitting around for
several months but never got around to upgrading until the other day. I
don't remember if there was any kind of beep when I first turned the
power on but I got absolutely noting until I set the time.

Wayne

GoldyGopher wrote:
> "trumby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>...
>
>>I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
>>I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
>>clearing the bios.
>>
>>The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
>>on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
>>Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.

> This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
> SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> 3.2gig Prescott CPU
> 1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)
>
> I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
> the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
> believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
> just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
> want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
> but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
> supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
> Any suggestions?

dave

wayneP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4mZrd.44713$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> I don't have access to this whole thread; so I'm not sure if you set the
> time in BIOS. As soon as you power up go into the BIOS setup and set
> the time, at least, and then it should power up.
>
> I had the same situation as you have. I had the board sitting around for
> several months but never got around to upgrading until the other day. I
> don't remember if there was any kind of beep when I first turned the
> power on but I got absolutely noting until I set the time.
>
> Wayne
>
> GoldyGopher wrote:
> > "trumby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>...
> >
> >>I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
> >>I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
> >>clearing the bios.
> >>
> >>The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
> >>on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
> >>Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.

> > This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
> > SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> > ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> > 3.2gig Prescott CPU
> > 1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)
> >
> > I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
> > the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
> > believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
> > just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
> > want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
> > but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
> > supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
> > Any suggestions?

If there is no memory on the board and no beeps > you have tried a
known good cpu and you know the board is getting power, the board is
not shorted to the case ( removed and on a non-conductive surface) :
The board is defective.

Dave

GoldyGopher

I actually don't get far enough in the bootup process to go into the
bios and set the time...the board receives power (all the fans and
spinning, the hdd powers up) but using both an AGP and PCI video card
I get nothing on the monitor.

wayneP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4mZrd.44713$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> I don't have access to this whole thread; so I'm not sure if you set the
> time in BIOS. As soon as you power up go into the BIOS setup and set
> the time, at least, and then it should power up.
>
> I had the same situation as you have. I had the board sitting around for
> several months but never got around to upgrading until the other day. I
> don't remember if there was any kind of beep when I first turned the
> power on but I got absolutely noting until I set the time.
>
> Wayne
>
> GoldyGopher wrote:
> > "trumby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>...
> >
> >>I've tried a p4 1.7 and just bought a p4 2.4 and get the same result.
> >>I've tried with everything removed and get the same result. Even tried
> >>clearing the bios.
> >>
> >>The light on the motherboard lights up and all the fans spin. The fan
> >>on the heatsink spins. I have a p4 approved power supply.
> >>Was just wondering if I missed something. Guess I have to RMA.

> > This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
> > SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> > ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> > 3.2gig Prescott CPU
> > 1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)
> >
> > I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
> > the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
> > believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
> > just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
> > want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
> > but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
> > supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
> > Any suggestions?

wayneP

I don't think you will get anything until you set the time. As soon as you
power up hold down the <DEL> key - don't wait to see if anything happens. If
you don't have something more seriously wrong, you should get the BIOS setup
on the monitor.

Wayne

"GoldyGopher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I actually don't get far enough in the bootup process to go into the
> bios and set the time...the board receives power (all the fans and
> spinning, the hdd powers up) but using both an AGP and PCI video card
> I get nothing on the monitor.
>
> wayneP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<4mZrd.44713$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> > I don't have access to this whole thread; so I'm not sure if you set the
> > time in BIOS. As soon as you power up go into the BIOS setup and set
> > the time, at least, and then it should power up.
> >
> > I had the same situation as you have. I had the board sitting around for
> > several months but never got around to upgrading until the other day. I
> > don't remember if there was any kind of beep when I first turned the
> > power on but I got absolutely noting until I set the time.
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > GoldyGopher wrote:
> > > "trumby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>...

> > > This is great - I've had the same problem. These are my specs:
> > > SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0
> > > ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> > > 3.2gig Prescott CPU
> > > 1 gig 3200 Mushkin memory (matched, came in dual pack)
> > >
> > > I try starting it, and I get no beeps, no video, nothing. I pull all
> > > the memory out, and same result - no beeps, no video, nothing. I
> > > believe I reset the CMOS correctly, and wanted to remove the battery
> > > just to make sure, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and didn't
> > > want to force anything. I also had the board for a few months in box,
> > > but am just now getting around to building the thing. the power
> > > supply worked fine - I just had it connected to a different board.
> > > Any suggestions?

SY-KT600 Dragon Plus and SATA boot Threader Soyo 3 11-01-2007 12:55 AM
Difference between Dragon Plus kt600 to Dragon Plus kt600 v1.0 Brian Soyo 0 01-26-2004 05:39 AM
KT333 Dragon Plus boot issue Ward Soyo 2 11-09-2003 11:52 PM
Re: Soyo Dragon Plus! Boar Will Not boot. Grumpy Oldman Soyo 0 07-27-2003 08:24 AM
Re: Soyo Dragon Plus! Boar Will Not boot. John Soyo 0 06-23-2003 06:44 AM