SY-P4I865PE Plus

GuessWho

From day one I've not been able to get the onboard NIC to work; so I threw
in a PCI NIC that I had sitting around and ignored the problem.

Now I'd like to get the onboard NIC working. I've installed the Realtek
10/100 Onboard LAN driver for XP and the system found a TrendNet
TE100-PCBUSR Cardbus PC card. I've plugged our broadband cable into the
onboard slot but all I get is a network cable disconnected.

If I plug broadband cable into the Netgear NIC I can connect to the
internet. The onboard NIC doesn't have a MAC address, the Netgear card does
and I just checked this MSI board with an onboard LAN and it doesn't have a
MAC address either.

Could someone explain what I might be doing wrong with the SOYO board, or
point me in the right direction?

TIA,

Wayne

I'm not real knowledgeable about a lot of this computer stuff, but I thought
TrendNet made cards for laptop computers and checking their website I didn't
see any desktop LAN products.

doug

"GuessWho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U%a%g.65881$(E-Mail Removed)...
> From day one I've not been able to get the onboard NIC to work; so I threw
> in a PCI NIC that I had sitting around and ignored the problem.
>
> Now I'd like to get the onboard NIC working. I've installed the Realtek
> 10/100 Onboard LAN driver for XP and the system found a TrendNet
> TE100-PCBUSR Cardbus PC card. I've plugged our broadband cable into the
> onboard slot but all I get is a network cable disconnected.
>
> If I plug broadband cable into the Netgear NIC I can connect to the
> internet. The onboard NIC doesn't have a MAC address, the Netgear card
> does and I just checked this MSI board with an onboard LAN and it doesn't
> have a MAC address either.
>
> Could someone explain what I might be doing wrong with the SOYO board, or
> point me in the right direction?
>
> TIA,
>
> Wayne
>
> I'm not real knowledgeable about a lot of this computer stuff, but I
> thought TrendNet made cards for laptop computers and checking their
> website I didn't see any desktop LAN products.

I don't think you'll get it to work. I have the same board - and the same
problem! It's just a POS setup.
I also have a PCI NIC and it's worked fine for 2 years. You'll cause
yourself more aggravation than it's worth!

doug

Andy

This board brings back bad memories of the Soyo rebate ripoff. The
Realtek software has a Windiag folder that contains a diagnostic
program W2kdiag. When I ran it, if I remember correctly, the LAN
interface was able to received data, but couldn't transmit data.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:04:36 GMT, "GuessWho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From day one I've not been able to get the onboard NIC to work; so I threw
>in a PCI NIC that I had sitting around and ignored the problem.
>
>Now I'd like to get the onboard NIC working. I've installed the Realtek
>10/100 Onboard LAN driver for XP and the system found a TrendNet
>TE100-PCBUSR Cardbus PC card. I've plugged our broadband cable into the
>onboard slot but all I get is a network cable disconnected.
>
>If I plug broadband cable into the Netgear NIC I can connect to the
>internet. The onboard NIC doesn't have a MAC address, the Netgear card does
>and I just checked this MSI board with an onboard LAN and it doesn't have a
>MAC address either.
>
>Could someone explain what I might be doing wrong with the SOYO board, or
>point me in the right direction?
>
>TIA,
>
>Wayne
>
>I'm not real knowledgeable about a lot of this computer stuff, but I thought
>TrendNet made cards for laptop computers and checking their website I didn't
>see any desktop LAN products.

GuessWho

Thanx guys.

I did get this board from Newegg on a FAR promo and I actually received my
$75 in rebates after an email to SOYO and a resubmission via certified mail.
The board has performed well although there isn't much in the way of
overclocking capability. Since this is a third computer used at our Summer
camp overclocking isn't an issue.

Initially there was a need to get the machine up and running stable, but now
it is just a challenge to get the onboard LAN working. We're retired; so I
have a lot of time to fool around with these homebuilts, especially during
our long Winters.

Fooling around last night, I seem to have gotten the onboard LAN working but
I have no idea just what I did to get it working.

Wayne

Meander Holefield

"GuessWho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsAl%g.10514$0L1.963
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> Thanx guys.
>
> I did get this board from Newegg on a FAR promo and I actually received

my
> $75 in rebates after an email to SOYO and a resubmission via certified

mail.
> Fooling around last night, I seem to have gotten the onboard LAN working

but
> I have no idea just what I did to get it working.
>

> Wayne

I also got the rebate but NewEgg had to intervene. The on-board NIC chip
has worked for me from day 1. I am just lucky, I guess. I do use the
driver set downloaded from RealTek. Don't know if that makes any
difference?

//rus\\