Synchronising apps on two laptops

Pete Evans

I have two laptops. One I use as a "desktop", the other I take on my
travels.
Can I synchronise the data & apps between the two? Specifically, I'd
like to be able to work on email on two seperate copies of outlook, but
be able to sync any changes!

Pete

Thor Kottelin

Pete Evans wrote:

> I have two laptops. One I use as a "desktop", the other I take on my
> travels.
> Can I synchronise the data & apps between the two? Specifically, I'd
> like to be able to work on email on two seperate copies of outlook, but
> be able to sync any changes!

An easy way to synchronize email is using the IMAP protocol instead of POP.

Follow-ups set.

Thor

--
http://www.anta.net/OH2GDF

Joe Davis

Pete,

There are a lot of programs that promise to synch Outlook, but I've not been
very happy with any that I've tried. The biggest problem is when you get
changes on both machines between synchs. Another problem is different
versions of Outlook. Apparently MS changed the API between versions and
some don't synch well with each other.

If you truly just use the 2nd laptop when you travel, you might try creating
a Briefcase (included with Windows) and putting all the Outlook files in
there and then synching the Briefcase everytime you travel, assuming you
have the same version of Outlook and the same version of Windows on both
machines.

I end up using about 4 or 5 different computers every month and am seriously
considering going to a web-based service. Keeping all my Outlook-type info
on the Web and accessing it with a browser. Has anyone tried using
HyperOffice or MyOffice? Are there any other systems anyone would
recommend? The problem so far seems to be that a secure socket system slows
the performance down to where it really lags unless you have a fast
connection.

Joe Davis

"Pete Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have two laptops. One I use as a "desktop", the other I take on my
> travels.
> Can I synchronise the data & apps between the two? Specifically, I'd
> like to be able to work on email on two seperate copies of outlook, but
> be able to sync any changes!
>
> Pete

Synchronising two voltage regulators Simon Embedded 11 10-22-2012 10:47 AM
Upgrading from 9.2 to OS X: Apple apps or 3rd party apps? AES/newspost Apple 2 11-10-2004 04:47 AM
Synchronising Home Folder? (iBook <=> Cube) Richard Burke Apple 0 04-29-2004 09:48 AM
Two anti-virus Apps KerplunKuK ATI 7 03-05-2004 09:33 PM
synchronising Ram Helinut AMD Overclocking 2 09-26-2003 07:54 AM