The System has experienced boot failures because of overclocking

red floyd

Brand new mobo: GA880-GA-UD3H
CPU: Athlon II x3 455
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) Patriot Sector 5 G 1066/1333EL (PGV34G1333ELK)

When I boot, I get the error in the title: "The System has experienced
boot failures because of overclocking"

Except... I'm not overclocking, all memory timings are set to "Auto"
and/or "SPD".

How can I get rid of this? The memory passes the Windows 7 memory test.

If it helps, I'm using the on-board Radeon 4250HD.

Paul

red floyd wrote:

> Brand new mobo: GA880-GA-UD3H
> CPU: Athlon II x3 455
> Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) Patriot Sector 5 G 1066/1333EL (PGV34G1333ELK)
>
> When I boot, I get the error in the title: "The System has experienced
> boot failures because of overclocking"
>
> Except... I'm not overclocking, all memory timings are set to "Auto"
> and/or "SPD".
>
> How can I get rid of this? The memory passes the Windows 7 memory test.
>
> If it helps, I'm using the on-board Radeon 4250HD.

GA-880GA-UD3H memory list (not really useful, info needs better formatting)

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/memory/mb...ud3h_v.2.1.pdf

Your processor. No important details here, either.
http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=729

PGV34G1333ELK 2x2GB kit, possibly two kits totaling 4 DIMMs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-ii-processo/1

"...and DDR3 at up to PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) speeds. There is a catch
though - if you're running four DIMMs (to use, say, 8GB of RAM),
the supported speeds drop to PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)"

That is a statement about the impact of bus loading on an AM# processor.
Bus loading affects the ability to run full speed. You can experiment
with this manually, to try to improve the situation. Normally, the
BIOS would make conservative choices to guarantee startup.

*******

Check the BIOS. You can try selecting Auto for stuff, except for
the memory speed. With four DIMMs, set the memory speed to
DDR3-1066 and let the BIOS figure out what CAS to run and so on.
Then attempt to do your memory test, later booting into Windows.
It could be, the BIOS isn't setting DDR3-1066 when four
DIMMs are present.

If you want an alternative suggestion, drop down to just two
sticks, set everything to Auto, boot into Windows, run CPUZ
and verify how the BIOS set up the memory. Of course,
this won't prove the board really needs DDR3-1066 setting
when four DIMMs are present, but will at least prove you're
making progress with two sticks at DDR3-1333 (one stick per channel).
You can run two separate memory test cases then as well, testing the
first two sticks by themselves, and when they test good, testing
the second two sticks.

See the first or second line of the "Dual Channel Memory Configurations
Table" in the manual, for how to install the two DIMMs.

You may be able to verify in the BIOS, what speed is being used
when either two or four DIMMs is present. On my current motherboard,
it reports during the POST, whether dual channel is selected,
the speed, the memory quantity. You can use the Pause key on
the keyboard, to make that stand still, if you wish to read it
at your leisure.

I don't like booting Windows, until the memory has been tested.
I use memtest86+ from memtest.org to do the testing. (Scroll half
way down the web page, to find the downloads.) Once the
memory passes and no stuck-at faults are found, then I try
booting into Windows. Passing memtest86+ is not an acceptance
test. You should use a stress tester such as Prime95 for that.
A stress tester does a better job of uncovering soft or
transient faults. Soft faults may not repeat at the same
address location, each time you test.

Paul

red floyd

On 6/1/2011 1:21 AM, Paul wrote:
> red floyd wrote:
>>
>> Brand new mobo: GA880-GA-UD3H
>> CPU: Athlon II x3 455
>> Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) Patriot Sector 5 G 1066/1333EL (PGV34G1333ELK)
>>
>> When I boot, I get the error in the title: "The System has experienced
>> boot failures because of overclocking"
>>
>> Except... I'm not overclocking, all memory timings are set to "Auto"
>> and/or "SPD".
>>
>> How can I get rid of this? The memory passes the Windows 7 memory test.
>>
>> If it helps, I'm using the on-board Radeon 4250HD.

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.

> GA-880GA-UD3H memory list (not really useful, info needs better formatting)
>
> ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/memory/mb...ud3h_v.2.1.pdf
>
> Your processor. No important details here, either.
> http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=729
>
> PGV34G1333ELK 2x2GB kit, possibly two kits totaling 4 DIMMs.
>
> http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-ii-processo/1

Oops. Typo on the part number. It was a 2x4GB kit. It's
the PGV38G1333ELK.

> If you want an alternative suggestion, drop down to just two
> sticks, set everything to Auto, boot into Windows, run CPUZ
> and verify how the BIOS set up the memory.

I do have everything set to Auto. And it does default to 1066.

> I don't like booting Windows, until the memory has been tested.
> I use memtest86+ from memtest.org to do the testing.

Windows 7 "Recovery Console" has a fullbore memory test, similar to
memtest86+.

Some sites have recommended clearing the CMOS. I've already reflashed
with the FF BIOS. If using the CMOS clear jumper doesn't work, I'll
probably return the memory and get some AMD recommended (though that
PDF doesn't list too many 4GB/1333 sticks).

Kingston has some that they say will work properly with this mobo.

Paul

red floyd wrote:
> On 6/1/2011 1:21 AM, Paul wrote:
>> red floyd wrote:
>>>
>>> Brand new mobo: GA880-GA-UD3H
>>> CPU: Athlon II x3 455
>>> Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) Patriot Sector 5 G 1066/1333EL (PGV34G1333ELK)
>>>
>>> When I boot, I get the error in the title: "The System has experienced
>>> boot failures because of overclocking"
>>>
>>> Except... I'm not overclocking, all memory timings are set to "Auto"
>>> and/or "SPD".
>>>
>>> How can I get rid of this? The memory passes the Windows 7 memory test.
>>>
>>> If it helps, I'm using the on-board Radeon 4250HD.
>>>

> Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.
>

>> GA-880GA-UD3H memory list (not really useful, info needs better
>> formatting)
>>
>> ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/memory/mb...ud3h_v.2.1.pdf
>>
>> Your processor. No important details here, either.
>> http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=729
>>
>> PGV34G1333ELK 2x2GB kit, possibly two kits totaling 4 DIMMs.
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220435
>>
>> http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-ii-processo/1
>>

> Oops. Typo on the part number. It was a 2x4GB kit. It's
> the PGV38G1333ELK.
>

>> If you want an alternative suggestion, drop down to just two
>> sticks, set everything to Auto, boot into Windows, run CPUZ
>> and verify how the BIOS set up the memory.

> I do have everything set to Auto. And it does default to 1066.
>

>> I don't like booting Windows, until the memory has been tested.
> > I use memtest86+ from memtest.org to do the testing.

> Windows 7 "Recovery Console" has a fullbore memory test, similar to
> memtest86+.
>
> Some sites have recommended clearing the CMOS. I've already reflashed
> with the FF BIOS. If using the CMOS clear jumper doesn't work, I'll
> probably return the memory and get some AMD recommended (though that
> PDF doesn't list too many 4GB/1333 sticks).
>
> Kingston has some that they say will work properly with this mobo.

If you have flashed the BIOS, then clearing the CMOS is a logical step.

Some BIOS flashing tools, have a software option for clearing CMOS,
while the flash is progressing. The flashing tool may have
access to the 256 bytes of RAM in the Southbridge.

If that doesn't seem to be the case, then the manual method (Clear RTC
or Clear CMOS jumper) would be the next step.

The main warning about Clear CMOS, is some implementations have a
power dependency. The ATX power supply should be turned off, when
following the instructions in the manual concerning clearing CMOS.
On my machines, I actually unplug them, just to be safe.

A number of motherboards, they "short to ground" using the CMOS
jumper. And there happens to be a path from +5VSB, through a
regulator, to the node in question. If the power supply is
left running, installing the CMOS jumper to "short to ground",
shorts the +5VSB from the power supply, through a tiny dual
ORing diode package. One of the diodes gets burned. I helped
one poster repair his board, and he unsoldered the burned one
and installed two 1N914/1N4148 replacements. (You can replace a
dual diode, with two single diodes. His choice of a 1N4148
type was not the best, but he was pretty happy the motherboard
still worked.)

As a consequence of the possibility of damage, make sure the
power is off, before using the CMOS clear jumper. Not all
circuits are designed in the destructive way, but there are
enough of them, that it's just easier to turn off the power
for all of them. I've even seen cases, where Intel provides
a "safe" implementation, and the manufacturer ignores it
and installs the "burn if power on" method instead.

*******

With respect to RAM types, there was a situation in the past,
where there was a difference between "tuning" for 1GB and
2GB sticks. It took some BIOS updates, to get good Auto behavior
with 2GB sticks. Yet, if you look at the electrical specifications
for the two chip types used, there was nothing hinting at such a
difference. The electrical interface looked identical. And
yet, some tweak was required several years ago, to reduce the
error rate on the 2GB modules.

Perhaps your 4GB module is a similar situation. They've only
become popular (and cheap) relatively recently.

Paul

red floyd

On 6/1/2011 11:29 AM, Paul wrote:
> red floyd wrote:

>> Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.
>>

>>> GA-880GA-UD3H memory list (not really useful, info needs better
>>> formatting)
>>>
>>> ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/memory/mb...ud3h_v.2.1.pdf
>>>
>>> Your processor. No important details here, either.
>>> http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=729
>>>
>>> PGV34G1333ELK 2x2GB kit, possibly two kits totaling 4 DIMMs.
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220435
>>>
>>> http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-ii-processo/1
>>>

>> Oops. Typo on the part number. It was a 2x4GB kit. It's
>> the PGV38G1333ELK.
>>

>>> If you want an alternative suggestion, drop down to just two
>>> sticks, set everything to Auto, boot into Windows, run CPUZ
>>> and verify how the BIOS set up the memory.

>> I do have everything set to Auto. And it does default to 1066.
>>

>>> I don't like booting Windows, until the memory has been tested.
>> > I use memtest86+ from memtest.org to do the testing.

>> Windows 7 "Recovery Console" has a fullbore memory test, similar to
>> memtest86+.
>>
>> Some sites have recommended clearing the CMOS. I've already reflashed
>> with the FF BIOS. If using the CMOS clear jumper doesn't work, I'll
>> probably return the memory and get some AMD recommended (though that
>> PDF doesn't list too many 4GB/1333 sticks).
>>
>> Kingston has some that they say will work properly with this mobo.
>>

> If you have flashed the BIOS, then clearing the CMOS is a logical step.

Clearing the BIOS worked. I'm going to leave it at Auto/SPD for memory
timings. Just one question, should I set to Ganged or Unganged? What's
the difference? Also, what effect does the Southbridge Spread Spectrum
setting have?

Paul

red floyd wrote:

> Clearing the BIOS worked. I'm going to leave it at Auto/SPD for memory
> timings. Just one question, should I set to Ganged or Unganged? What's
> the difference? Also, what effect does the Southbridge Spread Spectrum
> setting have?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...00_and_9900/13

"Itís been reported that the ganged mode usually works better for single-core
performance, but unganged works better for multi-core."

Ganged runs the dual channels as a 128 bit wide memory.

Unganged makes the two channels independent (two 64 bit wide data channels).
If a channel is available, then a core needing to do a cycle on that set of
memory addresses, can start its access.

What's interesting, is their benchmark results on that site, the two
modes made hardly any difference at all. The difference may be more
apparent if two programs were running at the same time, and the
completion time of both programs was measured.

The sensitivity to the setting may also be influenced a bit, by the
size of L3 on the processor. Some cheap AMD processors have no L3,
so they're a bit more dependent on how snappy the memory subsystem is.

You have the option to test both, and see if it makes any difference
at all. As far as I know, the setting likely defaults to unganged (independent)
operation.

*******

Spread Spectrum is a technique for clock modulation. It helps the
manufacturer pass FCC part 15 emissions testing. It has virtually
nothing to do with the end user, and the normal function of the
computer.

I turn mine off. I would only consider turning it on, if I saw signs
of severe interference on the screen of a TV set.

It would really be wiser, if that function wasn't in the BIOS screen.
If the manufacturer thinks it is wonderful, then enable it, and hide
it. Exposing the control for it, implies it isn't really needed.

Paul

red floyd

On Jun 1, 10:02*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> red floyd wrote:
>
> > Clearing the BIOS worked. *I'm going to leave it at Auto/SPD for memory
> > timings. *Just one question, should I set to Ganged or Unganged? *What's
> > the difference? *Also, what effect does the Southbridge Spread Spectrum
> > setting have?

> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...enom_9500_9600...
>
> * * "Itís been reported that the ganged mode usually works better for single-core
> * * *performance, but unganged works better for multi-core."
>
> Ganged runs the dual channels as a 128 bit wide memory.
>
> Unganged makes the two channels independent (two 64 bit wide data channels).
> If a channel is available, then a core needing to do a cycle on that set of
> memory addresses, can start its access.
>
> What's interesting, is their benchmark results on that site, the two
> modes made hardly any difference at all. The difference may be more
> apparent if two programs were running at the same time, and the
> completion time of both programs was measured.
>
> The sensitivity to the setting may also be influenced a bit, by the
> size of L3 on the processor. Some cheap AMD processors have no L3,
> so they're a bit more dependent on how snappy the memory subsystem is.
>
> You have the option to test both, and see if it makes any difference
> at all. As far as I know, the setting likely defaults to unganged (independent)
> operation.
>
> *******
>
> Spread Spectrum is a technique for clock modulation. It helps the
> manufacturer pass FCC part 15 emissions testing. It has virtually
> nothing to do with the end user, and the normal function of the
> computer.
>
> I turn mine off. I would only consider turning it on, if I saw signs
> of severe interference on the screen of a TV set.
>
> It would really be wiser, if that function wasn't in the BIOS screen.
> If the manufacturer thinks it is wonderful, then enable it, and hide
> it. Exposing the control for it, implies it isn't really needed.
>
> * * Paul

Thanks for the info, Paul! Really appreciated it!

arnieb

On May 31, 10:12*pm, red floyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Brand new mobo: *GA880-GA-UD3H
> CPU: Athlon II x3 455
> Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) Patriot Sector 5 G 1066/1333EL (PGV34G1333ELK)
>
> When I boot, I get the error in the title: "The System has experienced
> boot failures because of overclocking"
>
> Except... I'm not overclocking, all memory timings are set to "Auto"
> and/or "SPD".
>
> How can I get rid of this? *The memory passes the Windows 7 memory test..
>
> If it helps, I'm using the on-board Radeon 4250HD.

I've just gone through this myself. I'm building a 6-core Phenom with
16 GB of 1333 MHz memory in a 4x 4GB configuration. It wouldn't fly at
that clock speed and I had to back it off to 1066 MHz. I was thinking
that it might be the drive capability issue. There may be a way in the
BIOS to increase the drive current and voltage to the memory array to
compensate for the increased capacitance, but I'm not sure what that
is or how to do it.

arnie

red floyd

On 6/22/2011 6:42 PM, arnieb wrote:
> On May 31, 10:12 pm, red floyd<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Brand new mobo: GA880-GA-UD3H
>> CPU: Athlon II x3 455
>> Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) Patriot Sector 5 G 1066/1333EL (PGV34G1333ELK)
>>
>> When I boot, I get the error in the title: "The System has experienced
>> boot failures because of overclocking"
>>
>> Except... I'm not overclocking, all memory timings are set to "Auto"
>> and/or "SPD".
>>
>> How can I get rid of this? The memory passes the Windows 7 memory test.
>>
>> If it helps, I'm using the on-board Radeon 4250HD.

> I've just gone through this myself. I'm building a 6-core Phenom with
> 16 GB of 1333 MHz memory in a 4x 4GB configuration. It wouldn't fly at
> that clock speed and I had to back it off to 1066 MHz. I was thinking
> that it might be the drive capability issue. There may be a way in the
> BIOS to increase the drive current and voltage to the memory array to
> compensate for the increased capacitance, but I'm not sure what that
> is or how to do it.

It's in the M.I.T. menu in the BIOS.