system instability with p4vte

danny b

hey all
i just built my own pc for the first time. i ordered just about
everything from newegg.com except for my ati radeon 9800 and a hard
drive.

my specs are:
p4 3.0 ghz
two sticks of 512 corsair ram (total of 1 gig)
samsung 200 gig hd
soyo p4vte motherboard
400W power supply
ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb

i think thats all that i need to tell you guys in terms of specs.
my problem is that my computer just randomly hangs at times. i do not
need to be playing a graphics-intense game such as doom 3. i could
randomly just have AIM open and be chatting with my friends or just
surfing the web and my monitor goes into standby mode, if i have music
playing with windows media player, the music stops, and when i press
caps lock or num lock on the keyboard, the light does not change
showing if its on or off. when i press the restart button on my case,
it restarts fine and everything works...until the next time it hangs.
after doing many many hours of research about this problem, ive came
to the assumption that my video card is not getting enough juice. the
motherboard manual strictly states NOT to use a 3.3v memory card as
they are not support and it can do damage to the motherboard or the
video card or both. i am not 100% completely sure the ati radeon 9800
is not 3.3v but im think it is not. it does require a power plug
coming from the power supply.
one of the reasons i came to the conclusion that it is most likely the
lack of power going to the agp slot was when i came to the following
site by chance on the soyo motherboard website.
http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=134
it shows my exact problem (system hanging and instability). however,
if you notice under products, my p4vte motherboard is not listed.
also, i do not have an ati 9700 but i have a 9800. it also does not
explain how you can change the agp voltage. i went into the bios but
nowhere in there could i find how i could change it. i sent soyo an
email about this and asked them where i could do this but i have been
waiting a few days now and not received an email. this is getting
very frustrating for me as i cannot do any work on my pc without the
fear of losing it.
any help is much appreciated.
thank you.

lynchmv@gmail.com

danny b wrote:
> hey all
> i just built my own pc for the first time. i ordered just about
> everything from newegg.com except for my ati radeon 9800 and a hard
> drive.
>
> my specs are:
> p4 3.0 ghz
> two sticks of 512 corsair ram (total of 1 gig)
> samsung 200 gig hd
> soyo p4vte motherboard
> 400W power supply
> ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb
>
> i think thats all that i need to tell you guys in terms of specs.
> my problem is that my computer just randomly hangs at times. i do

not
> need to be playing a graphics-intense game such as doom 3. i could
> randomly just have AIM open and be chatting with my friends or just
> surfing the web and my monitor goes into standby mode, if i have

music
> playing with windows media player, the music stops, and when i press
> caps lock or num lock on the keyboard, the light does not change
> showing if its on or off. when i press the restart button on my

case,
> it restarts fine and everything works...until the next time it hangs.
> after doing many many hours of research about this problem, ive came
> to the assumption that my video card is not getting enough juice.

the
> motherboard manual strictly states NOT to use a 3.3v memory card as
> they are not support and it can do damage to the motherboard or the
> video card or both. i am not 100% completely sure the ati radeon

9800
> is not 3.3v but im think it is not. it does require a power plug
> coming from the power supply.
> one of the reasons i came to the conclusion that it is most likely

the
> lack of power going to the agp slot was when i came to the following
> site by chance on the soyo motherboard website.
> http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=134
> it shows my exact problem (system hanging and instability). however,
> if you notice under products, my p4vte motherboard is not listed.
> also, i do not have an ati 9700 but i have a 9800. it also does not
> explain how you can change the agp voltage. i went into the bios but
> nowhere in there could i find how i could change it. i sent soyo an
> email about this and asked them where i could do this but i have been
> waiting a few days now and not received an email. this is getting
> very frustrating for me as i cannot do any work on my pc without the
> fear of losing it.
> any help is much appreciated.
> thank you.

Wow - glad to know I'm not the only one having these problems. I have
pretty much the *exact* same hardware specs purchased from newegg also.
My system locks up ALL THE TIME. I haven't been able to load the OS
completly without a lockup.

I've flashed the bios like Soyo recommends, but still get lockups...No
idea whats going on here. I've been building/working with computers
going on 10 years now and this one just baffles me...

JamMail

The only thing I can see that causes things like that is the ATI cards
you guys are using. They seem to have more issues with windows (spy- and
ad-ware not withstanding) than the nvidia cards I have been swapping them
out with. Also, I am not blasting the ATI cards - they are wonderful
Graphics cards and have many friends that run them. but they still seem to
be bugging at least one of them at some point.
see if you can borrow an NVidia card and swap them for a couple days.
You may find the problem and then again, it may not change a thing.

Just my 2 cents....

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> [...]

>> nowhere in there could i find how i could change it. i sent soyo an
>> email about this and asked them where i could do this but i have been
>> waiting a few days now and not received an email. this is getting
>> very frustrating for me as i cannot do any work on my pc without the
>> fear of losing it.
>> any help is much appreciated.
>> thank you.

> Wow - glad to know I'm not the only one having these problems. I have
> pretty much the *exact* same hardware specs purchased from newegg also.
> My system locks up ALL THE TIME. I haven't been able to load the OS
> completly without a lockup.
>
> I've flashed the bios like Soyo recommends, but still get lockups...No
> idea whats going on here. I've been building/working with computers
> going on 10 years now and this one just baffles me...

j.burghdoff@sbcglobal.net

If you look at the list of those Soyo boards having the problem with
ATI cards they all have one thing in common and that would be they all
use VIA chipsets. Since the P4VTE also uses a VIA chipset it would be a
good clue. I know a lot of users that love VIA based motherboards but I
had a problem with a Abit board years back that used a VIA chipset, it
would never run with fastwrites enabled even though the nVidia card
supported it. Caused lock ups any time you tried it. I never use or
recomend VIA based motherboards of any brand. If I have a customer that
wants one I have no problems building one for them but I do point out
my experiances with them before hand. If they want an AMD system I
recomend nForce chipsets if they want an Intel system I recommend Intel
chipsets.

JamMail wrote:
> [...]

> >> waiting a few days now and not received an email. this is getting
> >> very frustrating for me as i cannot do any work on my pc without

the
> >> fear of losing it.
> >> any help is much appreciated.
> >> thank you.

> > Wow - glad to know I'm not the only one having these problems. I

have
> > pretty much the *exact* same hardware specs purchased from newegg

also.
> > My system locks up ALL THE TIME. I haven't been able to load the

OS
> > completly without a lockup.
> >
> > I've flashed the bios like Soyo recommends, but still get

lockups...No
> > idea whats going on here. I've been building/working with

computers
> > going on 10 years now and this one just baffles me...

I should have said that I am spoeaking in more general terms, and not just the SOYO mobos....I am an NVidia fan (No kidding) and I have one in a SOYO mobo and it runs like an unpaid Hooker...WITH a VIA chipset.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> [...]

>> > the

> following

> however,

> not

> but

> an

> been

> the
>> >

>> > Wow - glad to know I'm not the only one having these problems. I

> have
>> > pretty much the *exact* same hardware specs purchased from newegg

> also.
>> > My system locks up ALL THE TIME. I haven't been able to load the

> OS
>> > completly without a lockup.
>> >
>> > I've flashed the bios like Soyo recommends, but still get

> lockups...No
>> > idea whats going on here. I've been building/working with

> computers
>> > going on 10 years now and this one just baffles me...

OOOPS! I forgot to mention that my fastwrites ARE enabled ...