System locks up when I try to install Catalyst ....

Stupot

......& never gets past the 'checking system' stage

I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5
seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
work. Have to press the reset button.

I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
using the latest drivers downloaded.

I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
Windows pull them off the CDRom.

System Specs:

i7-930 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
Windows XP Home
Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

Stupot

On 5/04/2010 11:51 PM, Christian Atteneder wrote:

>> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
>> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
>> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5 seconds.
>> No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Have to
>> press the reset button.
>>
>> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or using
>> the latest drivers downloaded.
>>
>> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
>> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>>

> You did actually plug in the power cable(s) of the video card? What are the
> specs of your power supply (brand, watts etc.).

Yes, the power cable is plugged in. The card works, I just can't install
Catalyst Control centre. I am using the basic display drivers.

The card is a Sapphire HD 5770 on a Gigabyte GA X58 UD3R Board....

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...&enterthread=y

KCB

"Stupot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4bb9338f$0$27805$(E-Mail Removed)...
> .....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage
>
> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5 seconds.
> No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. Have to
> press the reset button.
>
> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or using
> the latest drivers downloaded.
>
> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>
> System Specs:
>
> i7-930 Processor
> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
> Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
> Windows XP Home
> Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

Stupot

On 6/04/2010 10:45 AM, KCB wrote:

> "Stupot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4bb9338f$0$27805$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> .....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage
>>
>> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
>> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to
>> install the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after
>> about 5 seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del
>> does not work. Have to press the reset button.
>>
>> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
>> using the latest drivers downloaded.
>>
>> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
>> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>>
>> System Specs:
>>
>> i7-930 Processor
>> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
>> Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
>> Windows XP Home
>> Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

> Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

Yep!

I have tried installing Catalyst from the command line, and this locks
the system up too.....

Stupot

On 5/04/2010 10:49 AM, Stupot wrote:
> .....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage
>
> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5
> seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
> work. Have to press the reset button.
>
> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
> using the latest drivers downloaded.
>
> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>
> System Specs:
>
> i7-930 Processor
> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
> Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
> Windows XP Home
> Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

Problem solved (I think).

Dodgy PCI-E slot on the motherboard. I tried installing an nVidia card
in the same slot and the system froze after nVidia drivers were installed.

Moving it to the second slot - no problems as yet.

KCB

"Stupot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4bc2e82b$0$8822$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 5/04/2010 10:49 AM, Stupot wrote:
>> .....& never gets past the 'checking system' stage
>>
>> I am having major problem trying to install Catalyst on a new system I
>> have put together. The system locks up completely when I try to install
>> the Catalyst control centre. The progress bar stops after about 5
>> seconds. No mouse movement, no disk activity, Ctrl-Alt-Del does not
>> work. Have to press the reset button.
>>
>> I have the same problem using the drivers that came on the CDRom, or
>> using the latest drivers downloaded.
>>
>> I have only been able to install the basic display drivers by letting
>> Windows pull them off the CDRom.
>>
>> System Specs:
>>
>> i7-930 Processor
>> Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
>> Sapphire HD 5770 Video Card
>> Windows XP Home
>> Benq display running at 1920 x 1080

> Problem solved (I think).
>
> Dodgy PCI-E slot on the motherboard. I tried installing an nVidia card in
> the same slot and the system froze after nVidia drivers were installed.
>
> Moving it to the second slot - no problems as yet.

Make sure your BIOS settings are correct for what you are trying to do. It
could be that the slot you suspect of being dodgy might not have the proper
settings for your card.