system prof shows PC100 and I got 133

dale.j.

I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I show
one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS 10.3.4,
system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip from
Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the memory,
but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will the
computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?

The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
profiler wrong maybe?

Dale

--
Email: (E-Mail Removed)

Jerry Kindall

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>,
dale.j. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
> and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I show
> one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
> memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS 10.3.4,
> system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip from
> Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the memory,
> but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will the
> computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?
>
> The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
> profiler wrong maybe?

Probably. You're right that the computer probably wouldn't boot up if
it was PC100.

Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.

Chas

Jerry Kindall wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>,
> dale.j. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
>>and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I show
>>one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
>>memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS 10.3.4,
>>system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip from
>>Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the memory,
>>but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will the
>>computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?
>>
>>The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
>>profiler wrong maybe?

> Probably. You're right that the computer probably wouldn't boot up if
> it was PC100.

Yes it will. The OP *might* have a stick of RAM which is PC100 which'll
cause the system to ramp the speed down to the lowest common
denominator, likely in view of the amount of memory indicated - as there
are only 3 RAM slots, you'd probably have 1 x 128 + 2 x 256, or 1 x 128
+ 1 x 512. PC100 will work just fine, albeit a tad slower.

=:~)

--
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners." - Ernest Jan Plugge

news at cdss dot fsnet dot co dot uk

Christopher Wolf

On 2004-07-08 15:35:43 -0400, "dale.j. " <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
> and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I
> show one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
> memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS
> 10.3.4, system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip
> from Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the
> memory, but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will
> the computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?
>
> The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
> profiler wrong maybe?

Yes. This is a known bug in System Profiler that it can report PC-133
RAM as PC-100.

- Chris

dale.j.

In article <2004070901161216807%cwolf@maccom>,
Christopher Wolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2004-07-08 15:35:43 -0400, "dale.j. " <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > I happened to be looking at adding some more memory to my 533 dual G4
> > and brought up system profiler to see what I have for open slots, I
> > show one, but what caught my eye was system profiler says I have PC 100
> > memory installed (640 Meg), when it should be PC133. This is OS
> > 10.3.4, system profile version 4.0.4. I still have the packing slip
> > from Crucial showing PC-133. I'll have to open it up and look on the
> > memory, but I'm sure that's what I put in a couple of years ago. Will
> > the computer even boot up with PC-100 memory when it should be PC133?
> >
> > The dual G4 533 has 133 mhz buss speed. What the heck gives, is system
> > profiler wrong maybe?

> Yes. This is a known bug in System Profiler that it can report PC-133
> RAM as PC-100.
>
> - Chris

Funny they have not fixed it by now. Thanks for the info. I'm going to
check though next time I turn it off.

Dale

--
Email: (E-Mail Removed)