Tablet pc as a tablet for a desktop.

rory lane

Hi everybody.

Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?

I'm a computer artist. I have been waiting to get a tablet PC for some
time and I'm torn between getting a tablet pc and a Wacom Cintiq. The
Cintiq is overpriced, but one could use it with many computers over
the years (like my current tablet). The tablet PC is going to be
awesome, but it's a shame to think that a perfectly good (and
expensive) tablet display will get thrown out when the rest of the
computer is outdated in a few years. They're both terribly expensive,
so I don't want to make any mistakes.

If it is possible to use a tablet pc to function as a Cintiq then I'll
get a tablet pc. Even if not then I'll probably get a tablet PC
anyway, but it would be the coolest thing if it could. That'd be like
getting a tablet pc AND a Cintiq for free.

Also I'm thinking of getting a Toshiba Protoge M205. Has anyone heard
anything about them?

Also, do you thing that the docking station is worthwhile to get when
getting a table pc?

Finally, have you all found that they are fragile or inclined to
break.
Essentially, do you think that $300 insurance will be worth it?

Thanks a ton.

Chris H.

Most Tablet PCs allow you to extend the desktop to an external monitor, if
that's what you're asking, so you could "work" in the larger area while on
the Tablet. You cannot use the Tablet screen as an additional screen for a
desktop.

A docking station depends on which model Tablet PC you would get, and
whether you want the added expense of a docking station for the purpose of
docking only (it isn't necessary on all Tablets).

Insurance is a personal item. If you are traveling a lot and moving the
Tablet around, through airports, etc., it would probably be wise. However,
if you're only at home, never to take the Tablet outside, then it wouldn't
be.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"rory lane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi everybody.
>
> Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
> Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?
>
> I'm a computer artist. I have been waiting to get a tablet PC for some
> time and I'm torn between getting a tablet pc and a Wacom Cintiq. The
> Cintiq is overpriced, but one could use it with many computers over
> the years (like my current tablet). The tablet PC is going to be
> awesome, but it's a shame to think that a perfectly good (and
> expensive) tablet display will get thrown out when the rest of the
> computer is outdated in a few years. They're both terribly expensive,
> so I don't want to make any mistakes.
>
> If it is possible to use a tablet pc to function as a Cintiq then I'll
> get a tablet pc. Even if not then I'll probably get a tablet PC
> anyway, but it would be the coolest thing if it could. That'd be like
> getting a tablet pc AND a Cintiq for free.
>
> Also I'm thinking of getting a Toshiba Protoge M205. Has anyone heard
> anything about them?
>
> Also, do you thing that the docking station is worthwhile to get when
> getting a table pc?
>
> Finally, have you all found that they are fragile or inclined to
> break.
> Essentially, do you think that $300 insurance will be worth it?
>

> Thanks a ton.

Jan Wagner

rory lane wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
> Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?

Nope, not directly. But it should be possible to run it like a Cintiq
using a VNC client like http://www.tightvnc.com/ This gives you
interaction with the desktop of the main machine on your tablet pc, and
depending on the settings, without logging out the current user on the
main PC. Not that I have actually tried this with my TabletPC, yet...

As to how well the Tablet PC is suited for artist work, that you'll have
to go and test for yourself...

At least on my el-cheapo Acer C302Xmi (14" screen) photoshopping is a
bit difficult because the tablet/pen is not very precise and the cursor
usually is off by a radius of 0.5mm - 1.5mm from the pen tip, despite
calibrating often (it helps, though). Especially bad on the screen
edges. Murphys law says the pen obscures the cursor always when things
get tricky, so it's not very helpful to only look at the cursor either.
Well, I mean, the Tablet is overall pretty good for the occasional
photoshop or illustrator, and note taking and everything MS inteded the
Tablet PC for, plus web surfing, and lazier things like eBook reading,
but not for 8+ hours per day of proff graphics work, at least IMHO. And
on my Acer C302, specifically. Your mileage may vary.

On some quality Tablet PC (that Toshiba you asked about?) matters might
be much better. At least the viewing angle is pretty good on the Toshiba.

Screen size / drawing surface area is also something to consider,
10"..12" of a "typical" tablet pc and sxga, vs 15" and larger of those
cintiq's.

You'd get the best result if you try out (or, buy ;-) some Tablet's,
when possible.

cheers,
- Jan

Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (rory lane) wrote:
>Hi everybody.
>
>Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
>Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?
>
>I'm a computer artist. I have been waiting to get a tablet PC for some
>time and I'm torn between getting a tablet pc and a Wacom Cintiq. The
>Cintiq is overpriced, but one could use it with many computers over
>the years (like my current tablet). The tablet PC is going to be
>awesome, but it's a shame to think that a perfectly good (and
>expensive) tablet display will get thrown out when the rest of the
>computer is outdated in a few years. They're both terribly expensive,
>so I don't want to make any mistakes.
>
>If it is possible to use a tablet pc to function as a Cintiq then I'll
>get a tablet pc. Even if not then I'll probably get a tablet PC
>anyway, but it would be the coolest thing if it could. That'd be like
>getting a tablet pc AND a Cintiq for free.
>
>Also I'm thinking of getting a Toshiba Protoge M205. Has anyone heard
>anything about them?
>
>Also, do you thing that the docking station is worthwhile to get when
>getting a table pc?
>
>Finally, have you all found that they are fragile or inclined to
>break.
>Essentially, do you think that $300 insurance will be worth it?
>

>Thanks a ton.

When I'm not using it out in the field as a Tablet PC, I use my Motion
1300 Tablet PC as an additional monitor for my desktop computer. That
bit of magic is accomplished using MaxiVista, from
http://www.maxivista.com .

In my opinion, a docking station is essential to make a Tablet PC
useful in the office. I use the Ethernet, USB, FireWire, and power
supply connections on my Motion FlexDock. Without the docking
station, I'd have to repeatedly connect and disconnect all of those
items. With the docking station, the Tablet PC is truly "Grab and
Go".

I recently knocked my Tablet PC onto a concrete floor from a height of
about 2 1/2 feet. It suffered no damage and has continued to work
fine.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

rory lane

Thanks for your replies

With MAXIVISTA does the pressure sensitivity work?

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (rory lane) wrote:
> >Hi everybody.
> >
> >Can you use a tablet pc as a tablet display for a desktop?
> >Can a tablet pc be a Cintiq for a desktop?
> >
> >I'm a computer artist. I have been waiting to get a tablet PC for some
> >time and I'm torn between getting a tablet pc and a Wacom Cintiq. The
> >Cintiq is overpriced, but one could use it with many computers over
> >the years (like my current tablet). The tablet PC is going to be
> >awesome, but it's a shame to think that a perfectly good (and
> >expensive) tablet display will get thrown out when the rest of the
> >computer is outdated in a few years. They're both terribly expensive,
> >so I don't want to make any mistakes.
> >
> >If it is possible to use a tablet pc to function as a Cintiq then I'll
> >get a tablet pc. Even if not then I'll probably get a tablet PC
> >anyway, but it would be the coolest thing if it could. That'd be like
> >getting a tablet pc AND a Cintiq for free.
> >
> >Also I'm thinking of getting a Toshiba Protoge M205. Has anyone heard
> >anything about them?
> >
> >Also, do you thing that the docking station is worthwhile to get when
> >getting a table pc?
> >
> >Finally, have you all found that they are fragile or inclined to
> >break.
> >Essentially, do you think that $300 insurance will be worth it?
> >

> >Thanks a ton.

> When I'm not using it out in the field as a Tablet PC, I use my Motion
> 1300 Tablet PC as an additional monitor for my desktop computer. That
> bit of magic is accomplished using MaxiVista, from
> http://www.maxivista.com .
>
> In my opinion, a docking station is essential to make a Tablet PC
> useful in the office. I use the Ethernet, USB, FireWire, and power
> supply connections on my Motion FlexDock. Without the docking
> station, I'd have to repeatedly connect and disconnect all of those
> items. With the docking station, the Tablet PC is truly "Grab and
> Go".
>
> I recently knocked my Tablet PC onto a concrete floor from a height of
> about 2 1/2 feet. It suffered no damage and has continued to work
> fine.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (rory lane) wrote:
>> When I'm not using it out in the field as a Tablet PC, I use my Motion
>> 1300 Tablet PC as an additional monitor for my desktop computer. That
>> bit of magic is accomplished using MaxiVista, from
>> http://www.maxivista.com .
>>

>Thanks for your replies
>
>With MAXIVISTA does the pressure sensitivity work?

With MaxiVista running, the pen isn't used, because the main
computer's mouse and keyboard control things. Tapping the screen
causes the MaxiVista window to minimize, allowing access to other
programs running on the Tablet PC.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Chris H.

8-) When the pen isn't used, the is no way to do anything but emulate "ink"
because the Tablet PC digitizer is not active - so the user is back to the
situation of faking handwriting by using a mouse. The experience is quite
poor.

However, using the Tablet PC as the main computer with an extended, external
monitor, the digitizer is in full use.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (rory lane) wrote:
>>> When I'm not using it out in the field as a Tablet PC, I use my Motion
>>> 1300 Tablet PC as an additional monitor for my desktop computer. That
>>> bit of magic is accomplished using MaxiVista, from
>>> http://www.maxivista.com .
>>>

>>Thanks for your replies
>>
>>With MAXIVISTA does the pressure sensitivity work?

> With MaxiVista running, the pen isn't used, because the main
> computer's mouse and keyboard control things. Tapping the screen
> causes the MaxiVista window to minimize, allowing access to other
> programs running on the Tablet PC.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

romy

I use my Gateway a lot to paint in Photoshop, but I do feel VERY cramped by
small screen size with lots of palettes open. However, if I am working on
plant art, for eg., I take the Tablet with me to the greenhouse-- which is
worth a lot. Mine is old enough model that ambiant light can be a problem
on the screen (reflection, etc.)-- especially fluorescents. If you do most of
your work in the office, I think a top-notch drawing tablet accessory is
where your money should go. Plus, that gives you Mac and PC functionality,
and most artists I know are cross-platform. But if you want to work on site,
the Tablet is great.

--romy