Tablet pen navigation in browsers and other programs

Tom Hogans

Is there functionality for this in WinXP Tablet Edition? I remember
something that was available in Vista, though I never really got into using
it and I don't recall whether it was as capable as I'm thinking it was.

Basically, I would like some way to use the pen to navigate web pages.
Right now I'm stuck spending 5-10 seconds trying to line my pen up to the
tiny scrollbar (which is on the right side of the screen -- and I'm a lefty)
and move it to the right place. If there are some system-wide gestures for
Page Up/Down or simply Up/Down arrows, I think that would make my life
infinitely easier. Or perhaps a third party application that allows
something of a "pan mode"? I don't use Internet Explorer so I'm thinking
that panning option might be a little bit of a stretch, but I would think the
gestures feature has already been implemented in some form somewhere. Anyone
know anything about this?

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Specific to scrolling, does your tablet have a fingerprint scanner?
(exactly what make/model/os is it)

If it has a fingerprint scanner, you can use that as a scroll control

As for problems with small scroll bar, especially since you are left
handed, spend some time calibrating while holding the tablet as you will
use it most... there is a significant angular difference between the
stylus point and screen image which needs to be set before it will be
acceptable.

Using the scroll bars with the stylus should not be that difficult
unless you have a super high resolution or very small screen... I ask
the browser as there is a slim chance that setting scroll bar width
might be possible... I know it's possible in windows mobile, so, guess
that it might be in windows or the specific apps.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Invalid

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom
Hogans <Tom@Hogans.?.microsoft.com.invalid> writes
>Is there functionality for this in WinXP Tablet Edition? I remember
>something that was available in Vista, though I never really got into using
>it and I don't recall whether it was as capable as I'm thinking it was.
>
>Basically, I would like some way to use the pen to navigate web pages.
>Right now I'm stuck spending 5-10 seconds trying to line my pen up to the
>tiny scrollbar (which is on the right side of the screen -- and I'm a lefty)
>and move it to the right place. If there are some system-wide gestures for
>Page Up/Down or simply Up/Down arrows, I think that would make my life
>infinitely easier. Or perhaps a third party application that allows
>something of a "pan mode"? I don't use Internet Explorer so I'm thinking
>that panning option might be a little bit of a stretch, but I would think the
>gestures feature has already been implemented in some form somewhere. Anyone
>know anything about this?

If you use Firefox try the "Grab and Drag" add on

"Enables Adobe Acrobat-style grab and drag scrolling, Flick gestures,
and Momentum scrolling in Firefox, Thunderbird, and Flock. The extension
is easily toggled on and off for text selection and has a variety of
customization options suitable for both mouse- and pen-based
navigation."
--
Peter R Cook

Rom

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:25:01 -0700, Tom Hogans wrote:

> Is there functionality for this in WinXP Tablet Edition? I remember
> something that was available in Vista, though I never really got into using
> it and I don't recall whether it was as capable as I'm thinking it was.
>
> Basically, I would like some way to use the pen to navigate web pages.
> Right now I'm stuck spending 5-10 seconds trying to line my pen up to the
> tiny scrollbar (which is on the right side of the screen -- and I'm a lefty)
> and move it to the right place. If there are some system-wide gestures for
> Page Up/Down or simply Up/Down arrows, I think that would make my life
> infinitely easier. Or perhaps a third party application that allows
> something of a "pan mode"? I don't use Internet Explorer so I'm thinking
> that panning option might be a little bit of a stretch, but I would think the
> gestures feature has already been implemented in some form somewhere. Anyone
> know anything about this?

Opera has Pan <http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/950/>:

"Added "Drag to scroll" (disabled by default) which allows scrolling
by "grabbing" the page, much like on mobile phones with touch screens.

* This functionality is also available if you press and hold Ctrl+Alt
and drag the page."

There's a Pan toggle toolbar button for Opera available here:
<http://people.opera.com/rijk/opera/kestrel-buttons.html>

--
Rom