How to tell if the motherboard or CPU is dead?

zog zog is offline
Junior Member

I have a D915PBL motherboard and a P4 540 3.2GHz CPU with a 380W PS. The system will not turn on. No fans. No post. Nothing. The only indication of any power is the "Standby LED" is lit when the power supply is plugged. I was having these issues with a 300W PS. Changed the PS to 380W. System will still not turn on. I also installed everything into a new case with no good results. I brought it down to the bare minimum with no luck. Would it be the CPU, motherboard, or both that could be bad?

Junior Member

Can you quickly describe "bare minimum"?
What version BIOS does the mobo currently have on it?
Have you tested or verified that the power supplies will work under load?
Have you double checked that the front panel power is wired up correctly?
Is the the rocker switch on the power supply set to 0 or 1?
Is the power supply voltage set to 110 or 220?

See if that doesn't get you somewhere and check back with results.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny777 View Post
turn on your pc and feel the motherboard with your hand
Don't do that.

Unless you want to short your board.