Terratec EWX 24/96 and Cubase: out of sync

Taras

Hi!

I have a new computer AMD XP 2600, 512 Ram, ASUS a7n8x mobo
and two soundcards: a new Terratec EWX 24/96 and my old Audigy Player.

I use EWX for audio playback and Audigy for MIDI

I installed a fresh Win2000 Pro with SP3, downloaded latest EWX drivers, but
now
I can't get reliable svnc in ASIO multimedia setup.
When I press "Run simulation", i get the message that it wasn't succesful
I tried with "Detect buffer size", I even increased buffer size manually but
it didn't help,
whenever i hit "check Buffers an Sync", it returns error.

If i start Cubase and try to record something everything is out of time.

I didn't install WIN2000 as StandardPC, because my board supports APIC which
in theory should solve the IRQ problems with ACPI (in device manager EWX has
its's own IRQ)
In my previous installation of Win2000 however i went with the Standard PC,
but there i noticed that Audigy an EWX were both on the same IRQ

Please help!

Taras

Chris Sperry

Doesn't the Teratec have its own ASIO drivers? The sync tests etc. are
for the MME and DIRECTX emulated ASIO drivers. Forget about them if you
can use a decent ASIO driver.

Taras wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a new computer AMD XP 2600, 512 Ram, ASUS a7n8x mobo
> and two soundcards: a new Terratec EWX 24/96 and my old Audigy Player.
>
> I use EWX for audio playback and Audigy for MIDI
>
> I installed a fresh Win2000 Pro with SP3, downloaded latest EWX drivers, but
> now
> I can't get reliable svnc in ASIO multimedia setup.
> When I press "Run simulation", i get the message that it wasn't succesful
> I tried with "Detect buffer size", I even increased buffer size manually but
> it didn't help,
> whenever i hit "check Buffers an Sync", it returns error.
>
> If i start Cubase and try to record something everything is out of time.
>
> I didn't install WIN2000 as StandardPC, because my board supports APIC which
> in theory should solve the IRQ problems with ACPI (in device manager EWX has
> its's own IRQ)
> In my previous installation of Win2000 however i went with the Standard PC,
> but there i noticed that Audigy an EWX were both on the same IRQ
>
> Please help!
>
> Taras

SD

Forget that bit and just go for the terratec ASIO driver in the VST
multitrack options
Once you have selected the Terratec driver you won't see the sync test again
on startup

The latency is too high with the multimedia drivers for it to be of any use
to you.

Steve.

"Taras" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> I have a new computer AMD XP 2600, 512 Ram, ASUS a7n8x mobo
> and two soundcards: a new Terratec EWX 24/96 and my old Audigy Player.
>
> I use EWX for audio playback and Audigy for MIDI
>
> I installed a fresh Win2000 Pro with SP3, downloaded latest EWX drivers,

but
> now
> I can't get reliable svnc in ASIO multimedia setup.
> When I press "Run simulation", i get the message that it wasn't succesful
> I tried with "Detect buffer size", I even increased buffer size manually

but
> it didn't help,
> whenever i hit "check Buffers an Sync", it returns error.
>
> If i start Cubase and try to record something everything is out of time.
>
> I didn't install WIN2000 as StandardPC, because my board supports APIC

which
> in theory should solve the IRQ problems with ACPI (in device manager EWX

has
> its's own IRQ)
> In my previous installation of Win2000 however i went with the Standard

PC,
> but there i noticed that Audigy an EWX were both on the same IRQ
>
> Please help!
>
> Taras

Taras

I changed to EWX asio drivers in Audio Setup, but the problem didn't go
away. When i record a MIDI track, it records tottaly wrong and out of time.
Notes are everywhere but there where they should be.

It seems like the problem with multimedia driver isn't the cause but the
symptom.

Could it be the ACPI? But if i install it as Standard PC i end up with IRQ
problem.

Regards, Taras

"SD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhb3b1$hnh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forget that bit and just go for the terratec ASIO driver in the VST
> multitrack options
> Once you have selected the Terratec driver you won't see the sync test

again
> on startup
>
> The latency is too high with the multimedia drivers for it to be of any

use
> to you.
>
> Steve.
>
> "Taras" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a new computer AMD XP 2600, 512 Ram, ASUS a7n8x mobo
> > and two soundcards: a new Terratec EWX 24/96 and my old Audigy Player.
> >
> > I use EWX for audio playback and Audigy for MIDI
> >
> > I installed a fresh Win2000 Pro with SP3, downloaded latest EWX drivers,

> but
> > now
> > I can't get reliable svnc in ASIO multimedia setup.
> > When I press "Run simulation", i get the message that it wasn't

succesful
> > I tried with "Detect buffer size", I even increased buffer size manually

> but
> > it didn't help,
> > whenever i hit "check Buffers an Sync", it returns error.
> >
> > If i start Cubase and try to record something everything is out of time.
> >
> > I didn't install WIN2000 as StandardPC, because my board supports APIC

> which
> > in theory should solve the IRQ problems with ACPI (in device manager EWX

> has
> > its's own IRQ)
> > In my previous installation of Win2000 however i went with the Standard

> PC,
> > but there i noticed that Audigy an EWX were both on the same IRQ
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > Taras

Aphelion

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:58:14 +0200, "Taras"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I changed to EWX asio drivers in Audio Setup, but the problem didn't go
>away. When i record a MIDI track, it records tottaly wrong and out of time.
>Notes are everywhere but there where they should be.
>
>It seems like the problem with multimedia driver isn't the cause but the
>symptom.
>
>Could it be the ACPI? But if i install it as Standard PC i end up with IRQ
>problem.
>
>Regards, Taras

Cubase SX or VST32

Taras

VST32 r5.1

"Aphelion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:58:14 +0200, "Taras"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I changed to EWX asio drivers in Audio Setup, but the problem didn't go
> >away. When i record a MIDI track, it records tottaly wrong and out of

time.
> >Notes are everywhere but there where they should be.
> >
> >It seems like the problem with multimedia driver isn't the cause but the
> >symptom.
> >
> >Could it be the ACPI? But if i install it as Standard PC i end up with

IRQ
> >problem.
> >
> >Regards, Taras

> Cubase SX or VST32

Aphelion

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:43:38 +0200, "Taras"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>VST32 r5.1

I'm pretty sure you're going to track it down to ACPI then.

Have you done the standard tweaks?

Setup XP processor scheduling to background services
and set Cubase system priority to "Normal2".

Problem with ACPI is it assigns IRQs when needed... but it's like
wading through a layer of mud.

Ap

>"Aphelion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:58:14 +0200, "Taras"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I changed to EWX asio drivers in Audio Setup, but the problem didn't go
>> >away. When i record a MIDI track, it records tottaly wrong and out of

>time.
>> >Notes are everywhere but there where they should be.
>> >
>> >It seems like the problem with multimedia driver isn't the cause but the
>> >symptom.
>> >
>> >Could it be the ACPI? But if i install it as Standard PC i end up with

>IRQ
>> >problem.
>> >
>> >Regards, Taras

>> Cubase SX or VST32

Taras

> I'm pretty sure you're going to track it down to ACPI then.
>
> Have you done the standard tweaks?
>
> Setup XP processor scheduling to background services
> and set Cubase system priority to "Normal2".
>
> Problem with ACPI is it assigns IRQs when needed... but it's like
> wading through a layer of mud.

tried it, didn't help.
thanx, anyway.
But i feel really ****ed. i threw out so much cash but the damn thing still
won't play as it should.

i wonder, would switching to Win XP help? or should i go for Cubase SX?
(It won't be easy though, i'm so used to old cubase, i've been using it
since the good old atari times. On the other hand it has 16 VST
instruments...)

doug

I'm responding to a post that was widely crossposted, hoping for some advice
about which, if any, of these ng's are widely used for discussing DAW music
production. So far I haven't stumbled upon any that are in much use. Perhaps
there is a web based forum that someone can recommend?

TIA,
Doug