Is there a way to tell if an Intel CPU can do 64-bit or not?

Ant

Hi.

I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
(didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?

Thank you in advance.
--
"I've been on some fairways that are as good as the greens we putted on
back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green where I putted
( )

Ian D

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> "I've been on some fairways that are as good as the greens we putted on
> back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green where I putted
> through ants." --Sam Snead
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

Go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z, latest version 1.44.
When you run it check 'Instructions' on the CPU tab. If EM64T
is listed, it's a 64 bit CPU.

Ant

On 3/13/2008 6:13 PM PT, Ian D typed:

> "Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
>> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
>> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
>> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.

> Go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z, latest version 1.44.
> When you run it check 'Instructions' on the CPU tab. If EM64T
> is listed, it's a 64 bit CPU.

Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way to
check without installing and running the installed OS?"
--
"In an ant colony, dew is a flood." --Afghan
/\___/\
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: (E-Mail Removed)NT
( ) or (E-Mail Removed)

Tom Lake

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47da0eb2$0$12553$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 3/13/2008 6:13 PM PT, Ian D typed:
>
>> "Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi.
>>>

> Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way to
> check without installing and running the installed OS?"

You can start here if you know the exact model of your CPU:

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default...&culture=en-US

Tom Lake

Ant

On 3/13/2008 10:59 PM PT, Tom Lake typed:

>> Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way
>> to check without installing and running the installed OS?"

> You can start here if you know the exact model of your CPU:
>
> http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default...&culture=en-US

I have no idea which model it is though.
--
"Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: (E-Mail Removed)NT
( ) or (E-Mail Removed)

Murray Symon

Ant wrote:

> On 3/13/2008 10:59 PM PT, Tom Lake typed:
>
>>> Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way
>>> to check without installing and running the installed OS?"

>> You can start here if you know the exact model of your CPU:
>>
>> http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default...&culture=en-US

> I have no idea which model it is though.

You could try 'dmesg' or 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' in a terminal window
(aka command prompt, aka xterm).

Caveat: They rely your kernel recognising the CPU correctly - that
will depend on how up to date it is (considering that your OP
header listed FC3, 2.6.11 as your platform).

Trent

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:32:27 -0500 (E-Mail Removed) (Ant) wrote in
Message id: <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Hi.
>
>I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
>64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
>installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
>(didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
>
>Thank you in advance.

There is a five digit code on top of the chip that begins with SL. What is
the code on yours?

Ant

On 3/14/2008 2:35 AM PT, Trent typed:

>> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
>> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
>> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
>> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.

> There is a five digit code on top of the chip that begins with SL. What is
> the code on yours?

Oh, I forgot to say without opening up the case earlier. I guess that
would work. Do I just Google that serial number/code to get the answer?
--
"... Our world is not an ant farm!" --Duncan MacLeod (Highlander Season
3 Finale Part II)
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: (E-Mail Removed)NT
( ) or (E-Mail Removed)

Trent

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:07:00 -0700 Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
Message id: <47da4e45$0$17326$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>On 3/14/2008 2:35 AM PT, Trent typed:
>
>>> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
>>> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
>>> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
>>> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.

>> There is a five digit code on top of the chip that begins with SL. What is
>> the code on yours?

>Oh, I forgot to say without opening up the case earlier. I guess that
>would work. Do I just Google that serial number/code to get the answer?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx

Place your SL code in the sSpec search box. This should get you to what
you're looking for.

Yousuf Khan

Ant wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
>
> Thank you in advance.

You can always download one of the 32-bit Linux live-cd's, such as
Ubuntu. Once you boot up into the cd, then all you would have to do is
run the command "more /proc/cpuinfo" at a command prompt. It should show
as one of its flags that either EM64T or AMD64 or x86-64 or x64 or
something like that is supported. I would assume it's most likely going
to be called x86-64 under Linux.

Yousuf Khan